All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

We will be rather stacked in the frontcourt next season. Hard to see many minutes available for Omersa, especially if Fitzgerald improves with a healthy offseason. From reports, Omersa' s game could use some refinement as well. It would seem he would be a prime redshirt candidate, rather than waste a year of eligibility sitting on the bench.

I also had the thought that Omersa could get buried on the bench behind Murphy, Curry, Oturu, Stockman, and possibly Fitzgerald, but on the latest One and Done Show podcast, Ryan James mentioned that he doesn't believe Omersa will red shirt because his high-level athleticism is such a key component of his game, and he will only have only have that level of athleticism for so long, meaning if he took a red shirt year, it would be one less year that he could be earning money playing professional ball, whether that be in the NBA or more likely overseas.

I think it is in the Gopher's interest to redshirt him. 4 yrs of being a major contributor versus 3 yrs. But I can understand that most guys want to play right away. The "limited years of athletic ability" argument is a new one to me but it does make sense, I guess.

If he would be playing 5-10 minutes a game, then I don’t think you redshirt him. Foul trouble or injury and he could be playing 20+ minutes.

If he would be playing 5-10 minutes a game, then I don’t think you redshirt him. Foul trouble or injury and he could be playing 20+ minutes.

Still think it's in the gophers interest to redshirt him. But I agree with you that the risk would be the injury bug again. Pitino probably can't afford to take that risk at this point I suppose given our injury history.

Still think it's in the gophers interest to redshirt him. But I agree with you that the risk would be the injury bug again. Pitino probably can't afford to take that risk at this point I suppose given our injury history.

With our history of depth problems, I think it would not be a good decision to red shirt him. We need bodies and he is a body that will be able to play some, even if not 20-30 minutes a game. If the young man has people whispering in his ear about becoming a pro, there is no way he red shirts. My understanding is that the red shirt decision rests with the player and his family with coach making a recommendation. We are not a program that has the luxury of red shirting many if any players.

Redshirting belongs to a bygone era. Should be used in the rarest of circumstances. Omersa needs game action from Day 1 and we will need him.

Redshirting belongs to a bygone era. Should be used in the rarest of circumstances. Omersa needs game action from Day 1 and we will need him.

+1. With the modern transfer rules etc. what are the odds he's playing at MN as a 5th year senior? Redshirts should only be used when a guy is too raw to help at all, which means you probably reached or missed on a recruit like Gaston/Konate and don't want to tie the scholarship up one more year. Maybe occasionally it works for a guy like Eliason.

+1. With the modern transfer rules etc. what are the odds he's playing at MN as a 5th year senior? Redshirts should only be used when a guy is too raw to help at all, which means you probably reached or missed on a recruit like Gaston/Konate and don't want to tie the scholarship up one more year. Maybe occasionally it works for a guy like Eliason.

Badgers were going to redshirt Reuvers, right? He wasn't too raw to help.

SCTimes.com: All-star basketball: Future Gopher Omersa looks sharp

• Jarvis Omersa is the real deal. The 6-foot-8 forward from Orono put on a show with his athleticism. He was 11-for-14 from the field, 10-for-13 on his dunks. Yes, he attempted 13 dunks and made 11. He finished with 25 points and 14 rebounds.

"He's a good dunker, that's for sure," Schaefer said.

Landwehr said his best dunk of the day happened in practice.

"That was the meanest windmill I've seen in my life," he said.

It looks like Minnesota coach Richard Pitino is getting a good one.

Before the first game, Omersa won the dunk contest for the Blue All-Stars.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sport...-omersa-looks-sharp-locals-do-fine/488041002/

Go Gophers!!

SCTimes.com: All-star basketball: Future Gopher Omersa looks sharp

• Jarvis Omersa is the real deal. The 6-foot-8 forward from Orono put on a show with his athleticism. He was 11-for-14 from the field, 10-for-13 on his dunks. Yes, he attempted 13 dunks and made 11. He finished with 25 points and 14 rebounds.

"He's a good dunker, that's for sure," Schaefer said.

Landwehr said his best dunk of the day happened in practice.

"That was the meanest windmill I've seen in my life," he said.

It looks like Minnesota coach Richard Pitino is getting a good one.

Before the first game, Omersa won the dunk contest for the Blue All-Stars.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sport...-omersa-looks-sharp-locals-do-fine/488041002/

Go Gophers!!

He was 1 for 1 from outside dunking? Sounds like a lot of defense in that game.

Yeah I can't see Omersa redshirting. It just doesn't happen that much in Div 1 basketball anymore. To many things can happen before the 5th year that is doesn't seem like it is worth it. Hopefully in those 4 years Minnesota brings in another PF thats just as good, and if they didn't we would be doing something wrong in the recruiting trail.

In today's world age and athleticism is the biggest criteria for the NBA. A player that is more polished but is 23 years old is going to have less draft stock compared to a 19 year old athlete that hasn't scratched his potential. With Omersa's athleticism the best case scenario is him declaring for the draft after his Soph/Junior year. If he were to show he could be a big time defender by then we could definitely be looking at an NBA player.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I went to HS at Prior Lake with her brother. I think she's like 6'3, committed to Michigan to play volleyball.

Doesn't the U offer Women's Volleyball? What went wrong here?

Top Bottom