All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

Some highlights of Jarvis from last night's game against Armstrong where he had 18 points and 17 rebounds: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently Gabe had 31 last night too against Iowa West (2019 Iowa commit Pat McCaffery plays for them).

I'm so glad Jarvis will have a year with Murph. I really think Jarvis could be a clone and seeing Murph's development this year, that would be amazing.

he looks pretty smooth but obviously playing against smaller players here. Be great for him to become Jordan Murphy 2.0......Jordan needs to take him under his wing and show him how he developed his game

Impressive highlights

I agree - a year of battling with Murphy everyday is gonna benefit this kid big time

I really like what I see in this video. He looks aggressive, confident, and he already seems to have some decent moves close in. Maybe a little unfair to say this, but he looks a bit Murphy-like already. His free-throw stroke doesn’t look to bad, either. I remember early recruiting reports about him indicated great athleticism, and high-motor, but not very refined offensively. I think that’s pretty much how one could have described Murphy as a freshman. Here’s to hoping Jarvis picks up where Murphy leaves off. Glad to have Jarvis on board next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloHoops: Daniel Oturu & Jarvis Omersa: Rivals Now, A Dynamic Combo To Come

That’s what was on display Saturday at the Breakdown USA Tip Off Classic when Cretin-Derham Hall’s Daniel Oturu and Orono’s Jarvis Omersa squared off as adversaries a few months before becoming teammates at the University of Minnesota.

It was one Oturu’s Raiders ultimately prevailed in, toppling the Spartans, 77-76, in a closely contested tilt among two of the state’s best teams and certainly two of its best big men inside the Lindbergh Center.

“I think it was probably one of the best games anyone will see all year in the state of Minnesota,” Omersa said.

Oturu, the 2018 Flo40 No. 25 prospect, and Omersa, who was previously known as Jarvis Thomas, guarded each other for nearly the entire night, going back and forth with each notching wins and losses against the other.

“I just kept playing,” Oturu said, “thinking about my team and not really necessarily about the matchup, but getting the W.”

Still, the tête-à-tête provided some riveting basketball and a glimpse into the home-grown future of coach Richard Pitino’s program in Dinkeytown.

Oturu and Cretin Derham-Hall got the better of the matchup early with the 6-foot-9 Oturu posting 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks, as the No. 16 Raiders built a lead that reach as many as 10 points.

In the second half, though, Omersa really came alive, exerting his will by getting to the rim and suddenly taking the mantle from Oturu as the best player on the floor.

“I kind of spread it out a little bit more, started taking (Oturu) off the dribble,” Omersa said. “Obviously, I’m a little quicker with the first step than he is, and he’s a little longer than me.

“I was just like, ‘let’s spread it out and go to work.’”

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/6...vis-omersa-rivals-now-a-dynamic-force-to-come

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Some highlights of Jarvis from last night's game against Armstrong where he had 18 points and 17 rebounds: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently Gabe had 31 last night too against Iowa West (2019 Iowa commit Pat McCaffery plays for them).

Wow, these highlights are super impressive. I love how comfortable he looks putting the ball on the floor. He moves around the floor with ease, and he is ridiculously explosive. He looks like he'll be playing some minutes next season.

So these highlights just got posted to YouTube yesterday, and they almost look like they are part of Giannis' legendary highlight reel when he was playing against what appeared to be Jr High kids on 9 foot rims. In this clip, Jarvis shows off just about everything besides a jumper: blocks, a steal, some passing, handles, and of course some dunks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iDL9tdQvAcA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So these highlights just got posted to YouTube yesterday, and they almost look like they are part of Giannis' legendary highlight reel when he was playing against what appeared to be Jr High kids on 9 foot rims. In this clip, Jarvis shows off just about everything besides a jumper: blocks, a steal, some passing, handles, and of course some dunks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iDL9tdQvAcA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember watching Royce White and that Hopkins team from 2009(?) play in the East of the River Classic (cant remember the name but it was Wisconsin Schools vs Minnesota Schools). That day I just remember Royce physically dominating Millwaukee Vincent which was widely considered the most physically gifted Wisconsin school. It was like a "men among boys" when in reality he was playing the team that made every other Wisconsin team feel like men among boys.

Every Omersa clip feels that way. Obviously Royce had a bit larger arsenal of offensive weapons, he had a better handle and was a bit bigger than Jarvis, but I cannot help but think Jarvis is got a bunch of Royce in his game and we kind of got away with one here.

He'll be one of these guys like Courtney James: perfectly functional as a starter or contributor on a very good team, but if he can develop a jumper, look out.

I'm telling you, his body type, his high motor, the way he moves and his overall game reminds me of a young Dennis Rodman.

Here is a counter to his highlight tape. He may contribute next year, but let's pump the brakes....

https://youtu.be/vj4FXlBybS4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

funny! if you just watch this highlight tape you'd think this roddy guy is playing on 9 foot rims against jr high kids. omersa looks only interested in blocks and not real d in this video. thx for posting. omersa is a project. an athletic project, but a project.

funny! if you just watch this highlight tape you'd think this roddy guy is playing on 9 foot rims against jr high kids. omersa looks only interested in blocks and not real d in this video. thx for posting. omersa is a project. an athletic project, but a project.

Probably my favorite take on Gopherhole. "He didn't look like he played much defense in the heavily edited highlight tape that was only made to show him scoring and blocking some shots"

Probably my favorite take on Gopherhole. "He didn't look like he played much defense in the heavily edited highlight tape that was only made to show him scoring and blocking some shots"

that's exactly my point. about the original link. every one is an all american on youtube and instagram.

i've seen omersa live in person 4-5 times. he's an amazing athlete. he's also a project. nothing wrong with the latter and i love the former.

Anyone who has both seen players play in person and watched their highlight videos knows that highlight videos are a brutally unreliable way to evaluate talent. Having said that, I'm excited about Omersa's athleticism. His ceiling is high due to that alone. Hopefully he is a hard worker.

that's exactly my point. about the original link. every one is an all american on youtube and instagram.

i've seen omersa live in person 4-5 times. he's an amazing athlete. he's also a project. nothing wrong with the latter and i love the former.

I don't disagree. I just have never seen a highlight video showcasing a guys positioning for help side defense. That would be boring, even to me,

Omersa is a big kid. Looks like he will keep getting bigger. He reminds me of Murphy in terms of being raw but strong, athletic and hard working. I think he is a project but I do think he is further along than he shows a lot of the time. If I could dunk 2/3 of the time I got the ball, I wouldn't settle for 10 ft jump shots.

Just to be clear, I certainly wasn't claiming Jarvis was anywhere near Giannis or a lock to be a great player, just that those highlights were comical. Thanks for posting the Roddy video to provide a counter, but he certainly doesn't look like he's playing on a 9 foot rim like Jarvis did as Go4 suggested. The very first bucket he has Jarvis forces him in to a tough shot and Roddy gets the board and puts it back in. In college he doesn't get that board. There's a very noticeable difference in speed, explosion, bounce, and lateral quickness between the two. Many of the Roddy highlights show him driving slowly to the basket off poor attempts at steals from Jarvis. Again, those likely wouldn't be baskets in college as someone would be there to cut off those slow drives. Obviously, those highlights did show Jarvis trying to make the big play over and over (steal or block) instead of the fundamentally sound one and paying for it.

I don't disagree. I just have never seen a highlight video showcasing a guys positioning for help side defense. That would be boring, even to me,

Omersa is a big kid. Looks like he will keep getting bigger. He reminds me of Murphy in terms of being raw but strong, athletic and hard working. I think he is a project but I do think he is further along than he shows a lot of the time. If I could dunk 2/3 of the time I got the ball, I wouldn't settle for 10 ft jump shots.

Wish he was on the team right now. He would play 40 minutes per game instead of Konate and Dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• An update on the three Gophers men’s basketball recruits for next season: Cretin-Derham Hall’s Daniel Oturu is averaging 18.9 points and 12.4 rebounds; Orono’s Jarvis Thomas Omersa is averaging 20.0 points and 11.6 rebounds; and DeLaSalle’s Gabe Kalscheur is averaging 20.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

http://www.startribune.com/nfl-rema...oner-roger-goodell-leading-the-way/471464264/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Jarvis Thomas Omersa remains a force after return to Orono

On the court this season, Omersa looks to lead the Wildcats to the Class 3A state tournament. On Tuesday at Waconia, he scored 27 points in a 85-55 rout, some on breakaway dunks. Whenever he picked up fouls, though, he was met with derisive applause from Waconia fans.

“Everywhere we go, people always seem to know who Jarvis is,” Wohler said. “When we go somewhere, they ride him. But usually, after the game, students want to take pictures with him.”

Wohler, a former Gophers basketball player himself, said he was hoping Omersa would go with Minnesota.

“He had a lot of offers out there, but he kept telling me he was hoping to get that Gopher offer,” Wohler said. “If you grow up in Minnesota and the Gophers offer you, it’s a pretty big deal.”

Spartans senior guard Colton Codute describes Omersa as passionate. Omersa has set lofty goals for his Minnesota career, including a Final Four appearance and an NCAA championship.

“He sees an obstacle, he’s going to push through it,” Codute said. “I feel like he’s really determined of his goals and pursuing them.”

http://m.startribune.com/jarvis-tho...-returning-to-state/471460114/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Heard last night Jarvis had 4 points and got T'd up. They played New Prague.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WCCO: Future Gopher Omersa Tries To Close Out Orono Career Right

A big player in the western suburbs hopes to fill some big holes in the Gopher lineup next year.

Jarvis Omersa is one of three top Minnesota recruits staying home to play for Richard Pitino, and the way he’s playing, he should make a difference.

Omersa has grown to a point where he can lead, and he leads in part with a dominant inside presence. He can get to the basket with one part power and one part finesse.

“Most people know me as the hype guy, the guy that, you know, plays above the rim all the time, which I still definitely do,” Omersa said. “But now I’ve kind of found myself in the role, especially this year, of playing more like a leadership role.”

That is the evolution of a young man growing into his body, and figuring out what he can do.

“Oh, he’s right up there. And Jarvis is the most athletic player I’ve ever coached,” said Coach Barry Wohler. “He does stuff in practice and games, as far as dunking the ball. Last year we were at Big Lake and we threw a lob, and I’m sitting on the bench and I look and [I thought it was] going out of bounds. Well, he caught it and dunked it. I stopped it on camera and he is reaching back and has both hands were above the square catching the ball and brought it back and dunked it.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/02/10/omersa-orono/

Go Gophers!!

Jarvis was courtside at Cretin last night to watch his buddies Oturu and Kalscheur go at it. Cool to see.

Top Bottom