Best/Worst Item received on Gopher Gameday

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Okay, it's the offseason. As I was putting away some winter gear, I came across the plaid russian style winter hat that was a giveaway last year. That was pretty sweet. I think that's my favorite item that I've received at a Gopher game.

The worst? A few years back, I took a sample of Wolf Brand Chili. My lord, I still taste that crap. People actually eat that?

Why do you hate Counter-Clockwise so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While not necessarily a tangible item, I'll take the service with real cash registers at the concession stand.

They rarely give anything away except trash bags for tailgating. The bomber hats were a nice exception.

While not necessarily a tangible item, I'll take the service with real cash registers at the concession stand.

LOL. I still remember the first game with calculators. The cashier took 3 attempts and still didn't add up my total correctly. Each attempt was different and wrong. The third attempt only required me to pay $1 extra so I just agreed so I could move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a $50 goldy's locker room gift card while coming up the stairs at TCF for the Northwestern game last year....

I miss the old pins that I thought they gave out for homecoming each year.

I have a bunch of the old towels from the epilepsy campaign. I use them to clean stuff.

I got a $50 goldy's locker room gift card while coming up the stairs at TCF for the Northwestern game last year....

I miss the old pins that I thought they gave out for homecoming each year.

I have a bunch of the old towels from the epilepsy campaign. I use them to clean stuff.

Like this one? you can't say that.jpg

Wow, what's the history with this one?

Well you could say a lot of things 100 years ago that you can't today. It's been a while since U Chicago was in the Big Ten (actually I think they still are, just not an athletic member). I think someone else posted this one several years ago and I grabbed it. I have one a guy gave me at work (still at work) that he found in his grandfather's things. I should take a picture of that one too.

Well you could say a lot of things 100 years ago that you can't today. It's been a while since U Chicago was in the Big Ten (actually I think they still are, just not an athletic member). I think someone else posted this one several years ago and I grabbed it. I have one a guy gave me at work (still at work) that he found in his grandfather's things. I should take a picture of that one too.

Nope Chicago is entirely out now as of sometime recently.

Absolutely the best item was the Mad Bomber last year at the Northwestern game. It was cold and my buddy and I walked in to TCF and out of no where a guy reaches in to a box and hands each of us the hats. Perfect. I plan to wear it again this year at the last home game if it is cold.

I was handed a $50 Goldy's gift card the year before and while it was certainly not the worst item, the Mad Bomber was better.

Those bomber hats do indeed stand out as the best stadium give-away I can remember. They are actually of decent quality (well, except for the chin latch) and are something I wear when shoveling the sidewalk, volunteering at the community outdoor ice rink, etc. Great give-away.

Not a tangible gift, but at the 2002 Michigan game the U honored my Dad (Nov. 9 was his birthday), who passed away the year before, with an "in memory of..." post on the Dome's big screen in game. Also invited the family to one of the pregame events in the tents they had set up on the east side of the dome.

Back in 1999 against Ohio State, they handed out these big gold tagboards to the students with Gopher logo on one side & an Old Navy logo on the other. They were huge, like 36 x 18. Way too big for a giveaway. I'm surprised people didn't get slashed with cardboard cuts.

I don't really remember a great giveaway, but not the fault of the U. More from me usually strolling in mid to end of 1st quarter after a few extra rounds of flip cup in the parking lot.

Anyone remember the game years ago where the give away was small megaphones and after a call in the endzone the students tossed and filled the endzone with the giveaway item?

Good times.

The USC game at TCF a number of years ago where they gave out some U of M magazine. They were whipped into the air from the upper deck of the student section to rain down to the lower deck and end zone. Those puppies picked up steam on the way down. Pretty dangerous.

Student season ticket holders got a nice golden cowboy hat with a maroon M one year, iirc.

I love the bomber hats and I used them all the time last winter and even this spring for cold ultimate games. I also do enjoy the towels. Was it the Iowa game we we destroyed them where they gave out the American flags?

Best item received: A Gopher win
Worst item received: A Gopher loss

There were a few years at the season home opener where season-ticket holders got a long-sleeved t-shirt. This was back in the Dome era. I got tickets through my boss and picked up 2 or three shirts over a span of several years.

Off-topic - but on the topic of inappropriate slogans for sports events: few years ago I'm at a boys HS basketball tournament game. One of the teams had the nickname "Trojans." I'm looking around the gym, and see the following banner:
"Rip The Trojans, and Conceive a Victory."

It took me a minute to realize the joke, and then I started laughing and pointing it out to others sitting near me. The powers-that-be also noticed - the banner was gone after halftime.

I'm with most others that the bomber hat was the best.

The worst for me was our section won the Old Dutch section of the game. I'm expecting to get a bag of chips or a coupon for a free bag or something like that, instead we get this crappy Old Dutch light up pin that I'm not sure even had an "M" on it (if it did it was definitely secondary). Why on earth would I ever wear that when they didn't even give me a sample of their product or even a $0.50 off coupon???

I'm with most others that the bomber hat was the best.

The worst for me was our section won the Old Dutch section of the game. I'm expecting to get a bag of chips or a coupon for a free bag or something like that, instead we get this crappy Old Dutch light up pin that I'm not sure even had an "M" on it (if it did it was definitely secondary). Why on earth would I ever wear that when they didn't even give me a sample of their product or even a $0.50 off coupon???

I was always wondering what the Old Dutch Spin winnings were. I always figured it was some sh!tty key chain. Haha.

So . . .all of you who got the bomber hat . . .I hate you all (just kidding). That was the ONE game that I had to miss last year (per the moniker, we live in Chicago) and it kills me to think that someone got my FOUR hats (I have four seats). If anyone has an extra one that they want to part with, let me know!

For me it was being Subway row of the game twice in one season at the Dome in the early 00s. They just passed tons of free sub coupons down the row, and I ended up with like 10 free subs each time. As a student, it kept in me food for weeks!

Top Bottom