So just how excited are you for the 2017 season?

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
When I ask this, I don't mean "how hot is your chili."

I mean, when you do the best objective job you can do to weigh positives and negatives - what are your realistic expectations?

I learned this all the hard way. In the Brewster years there would be a lot of blue sky predictions and as a big Gopher fan, I tended to subconsciously weigh them more heavily. The national publications would typically predict 6-6, 5-7, or worse while I went hook line and sinker for Gopherhole commentary related to statements that sounded very logical to me for 9-3 seasons or better. In the end, those days proved the national publications were much more accurate than most Gopherhole posts when it came to predicting Gopher Football. Then the Kill/Claeys years arrived and the tables turned a little bit. Some over achieving and contending, but not to the point where the team truly shocked the world with a B1G West title.

I have to admit, seeing all the tweets about the latest commitment, or how the Oline coach is the best in the business, or how Fleck's enthusiasm draws players in and causes them to over-achieve - has me thinking (again) like my original prediction for this next squad may be a little light. But, I don't ever want to make the same mistake I made over multiple seasons of Brewster ball. I'm not comparing Fleck to Brewster, I am only comparing my historical "blue sky" vs pessimistic thoughts.

Three months ago I was excited about Fleck but still figured the team would realistically fall in the 7-5 range or maybe if everything went right it could go 8-4. Now I am daydreaming about a potential memorable season with young players playing at a level that grows optimism to new heights. On the other hand, Fleck's personality and style are ripe for the picking by rivals to make fun of if things don't go well, even if it is jus the first season and there are growing pains associated with the regime change. I have heard multiple reports how Fleck's style wears thin on many that are around him. I have a good friend that I value his football opinions very much that was invited to a practice and felt the chaotic practice style under Fleck perhaps may not give enough reps to back ups. I am optimistic but not blindly optimistic. I do also see at least the possibility of a disappointment. Help me sort it out. :)

Well, the QB position needs to work itself out this fall, the O line still needs to heal up & remain healthy, and the defensive backfield dominos need to fall into place quickly.

If those things shape up, and the Gophs do NOT get tested by Oregon State or Middle Tennesse, my chili will remain quite hot ---with a 9-3 or 10-2 as a possibility.

Pose the same question on September 17, and we will all have a better idea.

But my glasses are rose colored until there is reason to take them off.

I'm excited every season, but

I'm also ultra nervous. So many question marks on this team, with a new staff, we really could get beat by say Oregon St, and Middle Tenn... or obliterate them and both outcomes seem like legit considering how little we know.

The folks who are super sure about win ranges, ya'll are crazy.

The CFB season is way too short. The off-season is way too long. I am always way too excited for the season to start. 2017 is no exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that I am probably more curious than excited.

Like it or not, I had a pretty good idea what to expect from Kill and Claeys - a conservative scheme built around running the ball, playing good defense, and hoping to hit a big pass play every now and then. When the formula worked, it resulted in generally close games and winning records. When the formula didn't work because of turnovers, or other teams stopping the running game, things could get ugly.

But - that was then, and this is now. Going into the fall, I don't know what to expect. Other than a brief glimpse in the Spring game, we haven't really seen what Fleck's offense is going to look like, or whether the defense is similar to last year. Once I actually see the team on the field, I may be more excited - IF I like what I see.

The Twins fill much of the void between now and August, but not nearly enough. Training camp can't come soon enough.

The Twins fill much of the void between now and August, but not nearly enough. Training camp can't come soon enough.
Am excited but also realistic. New starting QB, thin O line, lack of cornerbacks, matchup games on the road temper my expectations. But Rodney and Shannon, Steven R and all those fast, talented LBs get my hopes up also. The big change I'm excited for this year is to hopefully see a team willing to throw the ball to loosen things up for our running game. SKI U MAH!

If Fleck figures out how to win the Axe I'll officially be excited again

If Fleck figures out how to win the Axe I'll officially be excited again

Let's hope they find you reason to be excited at some point PRIOR to the last game of the regular season.

My chili ain't real hot yet, but when I see the countdown on here with the football jerseys, it will be steaming hot.

I'm much more excited about summer coming, but when August hits...I will start getting jittery.

I hope we play a more exciting brand of football, but I think fleck means it when he says you basically sacrifice wins in year one to win down the road. It would probably be bad on multiple levels if we won big right away, as perverse as that sounds.

9-4 team that went to OT with top ten PSU, to final quarter with top ten UW, to final minutes with #26 NE and #32 IA.

PSU drops from schedule. WI, NE and IA all lose more talent than we do. Scout ranks our 2017 recruiting class ahead of Iowa, WI and NW.

Croft has better arm than Mitch. QB/OC has a great proven track record with QBs. Offense should be more multi-dimensional.

Fleck and Simon have great proven track record with WRs. Sounds like they like raw abilities of Still, Tyler, Carter....adding in a lot of redshirt WRs and new staff's own WR recruits.

Return what could be best RB group in Conference.

Return all the TEs (hopefully with a healthy Lingen) and add some of new staff's own TE recruits.

Return four olinemen with starting experience. Add in some good redshirts, recruits, developing rs sophs.

Very excited about the offense.

Defense has a great returning group up the middle at DT (Richardson, Stelter, Moore, Merrick)/LB (Celestin, Poock, Cashman, Barber, Waters, Martin, Huff)/S (Winfield, McGhee, Ayinde, Huff). Recruited well at DT, S.

Needs some good things to happen at DE and CB, but Smith is a former NFL linebacker coach/former SEC defensive coordinator; Paup is a former NFL player of year who has been putting guys in NFL from Northern Iowa; Linguist an SEC DB coach; former Rutgers DC on def staff as well. They are being creative, recruited well, get some redshirts.

Return a couple good DEs in DeLattiboudere and Devers; getting creative with Coughlin and Martin. Added some recruits.

Return a couple good CBs in Shenault, Craighton. Add redshirt Thomas. Might get Durr back from injury. Adding some recruits.

Very excited to see if we can just be close to a top 25 defense again and what an improved offense can do to overall record.

Great kicker, punter, snapper in place. New staff has dedicated special teams coach.

Very favorable schedule to work out some transition bugs. Like opening with Buffalo instead of OSU.

Sounds like buy-in has been outstanding. Gaelin Elmore only real loss on defense in transition. Mayes and Moore left; not sure if that was because of transition or other factors.

Sounds like new strength and conditioning staff will mean much less injuries.

Team already academically elite, mostly high character guys...EOAA losses addition by subtraction?

Gameday experience/homefield advantage should be much improved.

Nice to get Bucky and Huskers here.

Nice to get two of crossover games at home instead of one.

Catching Michigan and Michigan State in years where there line-ups have been drastically shook-up. Catching MSU in particular bouncing off a 3-9 year while dealing with big, big off the field distractions.

Have a head coach who loves to motivate, loves to put on the head phones and game day strategize. Head coach has great reputation with media...could mean more night games, 2:30 starts and with that, better homefield advantage. Local media already in love with him, should mean they will help create a buzz of positivity about team in the State.

Coach operates at a Prefontaine pace...full speed ahead, no slow and go, no wait and see. Charges right in to the fire. He won't be sacrificing wins now for future returns. He also has a nekton philosophy; embraces swimming against the current. Sees no problems, just opportunities. Eats difficulty for breakfast.

Got extra money from AD to upgrade coaching staff. Lot of excitement with facility going up. AD is in place, backing his guy with all kinds of resources.

I am very excited to see improvement this season.

^^^^ hater

Great post Swingman

I am excited for change. I felt like we had seen the peak of the Kill/Claeys era and that peak did very little for me. I want to see the Gophers win B1G West titles and don't think that is asking too much of any coach. In the first year, I am interested more in the schemes a coach is trying to employ, how he manages the clock, how recruiting is going, and how the team competes against rivals.

I was at a pretty low point with Gopher football after getting the Iowa schedule of the previous season and going out and losing the first two conference games. A new start feels like the right thing to me, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident in Fleck at this point. That has nothing to with Fleck and everything to do with the programs history. My biggest fear right now is the media (and some Kill/Claeys holdovers) starting to mock Fleck the way they mocked Brewster if things don't go well immediately. I saw the terrible first year coming from Brewster, he was left a bare cupboard, but some people expected him to work magic. I could see PJ struggling this year and people jumping at the chance to call him a fraud.

I'm excited to watch Fleck run the show this season. I don't have high expectations for this year, I think Fleck's style takes a bit of time. I expect a 10 win plus season from Fleck though by year 3 or 4.
Very excited for this season. I expect the team to get better as the season goes on (if they can stay healthy). I would be disappointed with less than 7 wins.

Seven wins total is the minimum for me. In his situation with some good returning players this is not too much to expect.

I'm excited to see what Croft and the Wrs can do and see if the previous staff's trouble was with recruiting or coaching (just talking these two positions - they did a great job overall...not hating).

Conversely - I am curious to see what our DBs can do and see if the previous staff's genius was in recruiting or coaching.

We should pretty much know what to expect from our RBs, LBs, and D-Line. If our offensive line stays healthy, I think we will have a chance in every game except maybe @ Michigan. But - if they start going down in fall camp, my excitement will wane very quickly and I'll start viewing 2017 as nothing more than a transition year and not get too emotionally involved.

Equally excited for all the aforementioned. We have a coach with a vision, a sense of direction, a great staff assembled, and kids that are buying in.

The plus side is that Kill & Claeys left a good foundation to build on. This is not going to be a complete rebuilding project.

Like any transitions to a new coach that we've seen over the years, the ultimate results will come out in three or four years.

Fellas & Gals - strap your big boots on and enjoy the ride!

Michigan has to replace 11 drafted guys and 8 undrafted free agents.

The Michigan juniors and seniors this year were part of recruiting classes that ranked 27th and 35th, good but not their usual top ten level.

Last time in Ann Arbor, Gophers beat Michigan. Last time Gophs played Wolverines, they were a Wolitarsky stretch away from winning.

Michigan has two new coaches on offensive side to transition in.

Gophers have shown they can play with Big Ten East powers on the road, taking 2016 division champ Penn State to overtime in Happy Valley. Rashad Still TD had Gophs down 21-14 with two minutes to play in Columbus in 2015.

I'm excited to watch Fleck run the show this season. I don't have high expectations for this year, I think Fleck's style takes a bit of time. I expect a 10 win plus season from Fleck though by year 3 or 4.
Very excited for this season. I expect the team to get better as the season goes on (if they can stay healthy). I would be disappointed with less than 7 wins.

Don't quite agree with you that his style will take some time. Fleck has said the scheme is simple and the players here already fit it (unlike WMU), so just need to execute.

Definitely agree with you expecting the Gophs to win 10+ by year 3 (2019) in the regular season...good opportunity for Fleck to have us in Pasadena.

Well, the QB position needs to work itself out this fall, the O line still needs to heal up & remain healthy, and the defensive backfield dominos need to fall into place quickly.

If those things shape up, and the Gophs do NOT get tested by Oregon State or Middle Tennesse, my chili will remain quite hot ---with a 9-3 or 10-2 as a possibility.

Pose the same question on September 17, and we will all have a better idea.

But my glasses are rose colored until there is reason to take them off.

How many times have we won 9+ games in the last 40 years? But yet that's a realistic possibility with this roster and a 1st year coach?

With all the talent we have coming back on both sides of the ball we should win no less than 8 games this season. I don't care if we have a new regime running the program. Our talent is very good and we should expect a quality bowl game, preferably on January 1st.

How many times have we won 9+ games in the last 40 years? But yet that's a realistic possibility with this roster and a 1st year coach?

Is the roster a lot worse than the team that won 9 last year? With the weak schedule we have, I think it is realistic to win 9 this year.

Top Bottom