Reid Travis gains extra year of eligibility

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Smart kid. I'm sure he'll be a graduate in 4 years (or less).

Hmmmmmmm.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Smart kid. I'm sure he'll be a graduate in 4 years (or less).

Hmmmmmmm.

Of course, there's probably that NBA thing that's waiting for him after the 2017-18 season.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Or maybe a graduate transfer to the hometown Gophers? (a guy can dream, right?)

Anybody care to break down how he would fit with the 2018-19 team and our schollie situation?

Well, I think he could help the team on the court. They'll be thin up front and he will be a grown man at this point (as if he wasn't already). Hard to say how he fits until we finish the '18 class, but you'd think he could get time with Curry, Oturu and Stockman.

Gophers have 5 scholarships available for 2018, assuming Fitzgerald does not get a 6th year or decides to leave. Mason, Fitz, Konate, Lynch and Diedhiou are all leaving.

Oturu has committed leaving 4 scholarships. Therefore, he could easily take one of the remaining 4 if we don't fill out the
class. This would be beneficial in the sense we'd have that scholarship "off the books" after 1 year, breaking up this run of 5 scholarships in a year which is tough to recruit and also replace when those classes graduate.

This is all assuming a lot, but if he wanted to come here, I'd imagine Pitino would be thrilled to add another big body with experience to what will be a pretty young team in 2018-2019 (seniors at the time would be McBrayer, Murphy and Stockman and two WOs. Juniors would be Coffey, Hurt and Curry) but you'd have 4 freshman with Travis if he came and they filled the rest of the class with freshman.

Anybody care to break down how he would fit with the 2018-19 team and our schollie situation?

We have 4 and possibly 5 scholarships available for the 2018 class, depending on if Fitzgerald gets, or even wants, a sixth year. Oturu takes up one of them, leaving us with 3 or 4. Then for post players, we will have Curry, Murphy, Stockman, and Oturu, with Stockman being the only 7 footer. Maybe Fitz and Hurt also get some time at the 4. It would be hard to turn down a local McDonald's all American who wanted to transfer here, but I wonder if guard is a bigger need, with Washington and McBrayer possibly being the only proven quality options to start at the 1 and 2, assuming Coffey is playing most of his minutes at 3. Maybe we'll see him play point more in the future, and maybe Harris will outplay his ranking, and maybe we'll get some 4 star guard like Eric Hunter or AJ Green who's ready to contribute as a freshman.

To get him though, we'd either need someone to transfer or have a scholarship open in the spring for some reason, since grad transfers are, by their nature, going to be spring commits.. I suppose it's possible they hold a scholarship open for Fitz's 6th year and don't get it, leaving it for Travis. I don't think the staff can plan for getting Travis though. They can't pass on a quality fall commit in the hopes they MIGHT get Reid Travis in the spring, assuming he even wants to grad transfer in the first place. Just have to see if the circumstances allow for it when the time comes.

Not totally out of the question, I'd say.

Well neither he nor anybody else in his camp has indicated that he will grad transfer let alone grade transfer here so at this point it is completely baseless to speculate.

Can't blame him for going to Stanford, but to me that was the biggest blow for a homegrown talent not staying here.

Edit: In recent memory*

Well neither he nor anybody else in his camp has indicated that he will grad transfer let alone grade transfer here so at this point it is completely baseless to speculate.

This is HILARIOUS. Have you ever heard of a player "indicating" with 2 years of eligibility left that he plans to grad transfer for his last year? Of course he didn't, but...

A. It's a message board and half the point of these posts is speculation.
B. It's the offseason and very slow.
C. It's a free country.
D. Reid is from here and we were in his final two and our hoops program is on a much more attractive trajectory at this point than where he is at.
E. It's a message board in the offseason and we live in a free country. So I guess have fun telling us what we can speculate about?

This is HILARIOUS. Have you ever heard of a player "indicating" with 2 years of eligibility left that he plans to grad transfer for his last year? Of course he didn't, but...

A. It's a message board and half the point of these posts is speculation.
B. It's the offseason and very slow.
C. It's a free country.
D. Reid is from here and we were in his final two and our hoops program is on a much more attractive trajectory at this point than where he is at.
E. It's a message board in the offseason and we live in a free country. So I guess have fun telling us what we can speculate about?

I speculate plenty and personally enjoy thinking about exciting scenarios that would upgrade our roster but not when we've been given absolutely zero reason to believe (as of now) that it'll happen.

Why don't we just speculate about how great our roster would be if Miles Bridges or Caleb Swannigan decided to transfer here? After all, we've heard just as much steam from their camp as well as from inside the program about it (zero) as we have with Travis. Hell, why don't we just speculate about the possibility of the NCAA deciding to grant LeBron eligibility and him deciding to play here for a few years? I mean it's the offseason with nothing else to talk about, it's a free country and it's a message board so why wouldn't we speculate about it?

I speculate plenty and personally enjoy thinking about exciting scenarios that would upgrade our roster but not when we've been given absolutely zero reason to believe (as of now) that it'll happen.

Why don't we just speculate about how great our roster would be if Miles Bridges or Caleb Swannigan decided to transfer here? After all, we've heard just as much steam from their camp as well as from inside the program about it (zero) as we have with Travis. Hell, why don't we just speculate about the possibility of the NCAA deciding to grant LeBron eligibility and him deciding to play here for a few years? I mean it's the offseason with nothing else to talk about, it's a free country and it's a message board so why wouldn't we speculate about it?

Come on, buddy. You're reaching.

I just explained it for you. See answer D.

You're comparing two guys with ZERO connection to Minnesota to someone who grew up and, by all accounts, was coming to the U until his parents demanded he go to Stanford for the education. So, when said education is complete and he has his degree, it's at least feasible to speculate about whether returning home for his final year to a contending better team would be attractive. I mean, because lord knows we have NEVER seen a local player go out of state and decide to come home when the opportunity presented itself, right?

Reggie Lynch
Joey King
Trevor Mbakwe
Lawrence McKenzie
Adam Boone
Ben Johnson

And those are only the heavy contributors. But I think we get the point.

With an extra year do you think he'll be able to finish a bachelors early and potentially get a masters? No matter what would happen with a professional playing career staying 5 years at Stanford to get a masters will open some nice doors for you outside of the court.

With an extra year do you think he'll be able to finish a bachelors early and potentially get a masters? No matter what would happen with a professional playing career staying 5 years at Stanford to get a masters will open some nice doors for you outside of the court.

Even though it is a very slight chance, I could see him coming here as a grad transfer... even more likely is getting paid to play in Europe or staying at Stanford.

Haha Reid's parents DEMANDED he go to Stanford? Who's his dad Adrian Peterson?

Haha Reid's parents DEMANDED he go to Stanford? Who's his dad Adrian Peterson?

Yes, one (can't remember which) or both most definitely did. Were you not paying attention at the time?

Yes, one (can't remember which) or both most definitely did. Were you not paying attention at the time?

His mom was the one that definitely pushed him to Stanford the night before his decision. I think his dad was more open in fact he even wore a Gopher football jacket on Reid's senior night at Delasalle when he walked on the court with Reid.

Oh I remember there being talk that they would have liked him to go to an Ivy league school over Minnesota but I never remember hearing that they Demanded he go there. I don't know if that is hilarious or sad.

This puts him on track to be finishing a graduate degree before he is done. Brogdon did this at UVA , Hall is doing it now and is becoming very popular at the elite academic schools. Would have loved to see him play for the Gophers, he is a tremendous player but Stanford is something that will pay him opportunities unrivaled.

Top Bottom