Ranking the Big Ten's College Football Coaches for 2017 (#8. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

8. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota

Few coaches in college football can match Fleck’s overall enthusiasm and energy level on a day-to-day basis, but the Illinois native is more than just a salesman for the program. After a successful playing career at Northern Illinois and a brief stint in the NFL, Fleck turned to the coaching ranks in 2006 as a graduate assistant at Ohio State. He returned to his alma mater in 2007 and remained in DeKalb until 2009. A two-year stint with Rutgers (2010-11) allowed Fleck to follow Greg Schiano to Tampa Bay in 2012. Fleck returned to college in 2013 as Western Michigan’s head coach and went 1-11 in his debut. However, the Broncos weren’t down for long. Fleck upgraded the team’s talent level with standout MAC recruiting classes and emerged as one of the top Group of 5 coaches over the last three seasons. Western Michigan posted back-to-back 8-5 campaigns from 2014-15, followed by a 13-1 season, a MAC Championship and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl last year. Fleck is a dynamic recruiter and has the right personality to take Minnesota’s program up a notch in the Big Ten West Division.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-college-football-coaches-2017

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't make sense to give a coach a ranking even before he has coached a game in the conference they're ranking...

Everybody seems down on Rutgers. Now this list has their coach dead last.
Last year's game against Rutgers was frustrating, but credit Rutgers for playing a good game. I liked the look of their quarterback.
Maybe Jerry can rally the offensive troops. They could surprise some teams. I'm hoping it's not the Gophers.

Doesn't make sense to give a coach a ranking even before he has coached a game in the conference they're ranking...

Everybody seems down on Rutgers. Now this list has their coach dead last.
Last year's game against Rutgers was frustrating, but credit Rutgers for playing a good game. I liked the look of their quarterback.
Maybe Jerry can rally the offensive troops. They could surprise some teams. I'm hoping it's not the Gophers.

They don't play them so....

Maybe they'll meet in Big Ten Championship.

There are a few pretty obvious bottom feeders.....and they are clearly giving Fleck some credit for his job at WMU.....which is fair.

There are a few pretty obvious bottom feeders.....and they are clearly giving Fleck some credit for his job at WMU.....which is fair.

I don't think it makes sense to give credit for that if we're talking about a step up in conferences.

I really can't complain too much about those rankings. the top half of the league has veteran coaches who have had success in the past. The bottom half is either coaches who are new to the league, or haven't had a lot of success at the major-conference level.

If Fleck has success, he'll have a chance to move up in the rankings.

For those who want to see only the ranking:

14. Chris Ash, Rutgers
13. Tom Allen, Indiana
12. Lovie Smith, Illinois
11. DJ Durkin, Maryland
10. Jeff Brohm, Purdue
9. Mike Riley, Nebraska
8. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
7. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin
6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
5. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
4. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
3. James Franklin, Penn State
2. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
1. Urban Meyer, Ohio State

I really can't complain too much about those rankings. the top half of the league has veteran coaches who have had success in the past. The bottom half is either coaches who are new to the league, or haven't had a lot of success at the major-conference level.

If Fleck has success, he'll have a chance to move up in the rankings.

Starting in the middle is sure nice.

Top Bottom