Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    5,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DLguy View Post
    LA Coliseum is selling its naming rights to United Airlines but will keep the Coliseum name in the name. 15 years - $70 million

    The LA Coliseum is a much more iconic and historic venue than Williams and especially Mariucci.
    Barf


  2. #17

    Default

    I accept no name that isn't related to the barnyard.

    John Deere, Case/IH, Pepperidge Farms, Cargill, Pillsbury, etc., but no corporation that has nothing to do with agriculture.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    I accept no name that isn't related to the barnyard.

    John Deere, Case/IH, Pepperidge Farms, Cargill, Pillsbury, etc., but no corporation that has nothing to do with agriculture.
    Just call it the Hippodrome.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Just call it the Hippodrome.
    Would Eveleth complain?

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    With more and more cable cutters, I think the writing is on the wall that the giant TV paydays for The Big Ten Network may be in the rearview mirror (see what is happening at ESPN). If so, they are going to be looking for more revenue to replace TV contracts.
    Perhaps, but the ability to restrict access by the big ten may simply cut out the middle man (comcast). Granted the distribution costs will increase, yet the big ten may end receiving more.

    Big ten sports is a niche and is not related to the problems exprienced by ESPN. ESPN Failed to control runaway costs while not noticing the increasing competion. MOreover, they got into the politics of sport instead of broadcasting. Matter of fact, ESPN became ESPn by boradcasting the Big East. The Big Ten musty maintain a quality product, but nostalgia will always produce some inelactisicty for college sports even as pro sports waters down their product.

  6. #21

    Default

    per Sid:

    Naming rights at U

    Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle was asked about rumors that the Gophers might sell the naming rights to Mariucci Arena.

    “As you know with the athletes village and our ‘Nothing Short of Greatness’ campaign, you know we’ve raised over $102 million for our goal, and our goal is to generate revenue that can go back and support our student-athletes,” Coyle said. “When we talked about partnering with the business community, if there’s ways we can respectfully partner with that community and maintain the tradition of our great facilities and our great programs, we’re going to do that.

    “Revenue is such a big part of what we’re trying to do. Our budget at Minnesota, we’re eighth in the Big Ten at $105 million. We’re competing against Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, those people that are in that $140-$160 million range. There’s no doubt we need to continue to be innovative and continue to generate revenue to put back into our student-athletes to let us compete at a high level.”

    http://www.startribune.com/former-hi...ffs/425821363/

    Go Gophers!!

  7. Default

    If he said yes, then he could have saved everybody time from hearing, saying, and reading minutes worth of PR crap.

  8. Default

    As a marketer I would never tie my brand or any meaningful spend to naming rights of an iconic arena/stadium like Williams Arena (Mariucci less so), mostly because that name is entrenched in the consumer's mind and any amount of money won't change that. Williams Arena will always be called The Barn, so why waste the money? If naming rights is your thing (and I think it's a dubious marketing practice anyway), go with a new arena/stadium where your brand can grow with the building from scratch (like TCF Bank, Target and US Bank have done locally).

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGopher View Post
    As a marketer I would never tie my brand or any meaningful spend to naming rights of an iconic arena/stadium like Williams Arena (Mariucci less so), mostly because that name is entrenched in the consumer's mind and any amount of money won't change that. Williams Arena will always be called The Barn, so why waste the money? If naming rights is your thing (and I think it's a dubious marketing practice anyway), go with a new arena/stadium where your brand can grow with the building from scratch (like TCF Bank, Target and US Bank have done locally).
    My company is called "The Barn" and I've been getting free advertising for decades. If they do this I'm going to be really pissed..

  10. Default

    I'm one of the people whom have never called Williams Arena "The Barn". I much prefer Williams Arena. However, a proper remodeling would certainly initiate a move to naming rights.

    Mariucci on the other hand carries with it the weighty history of Minnesota hockey and it's fun to say. Even with naming rights, I expect Mariucci to retain his prominent placement.

  11. Default

    Let's rename Northrop Auditorium instead. Plenty of revenue to be made there.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGopher View Post
    As a marketer I would never tie my brand or any meaningful spend to naming rights of an iconic arena/stadium like Williams Arena (Mariucci less so), mostly because that name is entrenched in the consumer's mind and any amount of money won't change that. Williams Arena will always be called The Barn, so why waste the money? If naming rights is your thing (and I think it's a dubious marketing practice anyway), go with a new arena/stadium where your brand can grow with the building from scratch (like TCF Bank, Target and US Bank have done locally).
    Exactly but I don't blame the U if they go for it. People will still call these venues by their original names and they get a ton of money out of it. Good move for the U, not a smart move by the companies.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    With more and more cable cutters, I think the writing is on the wall that the giant TV paydays for The Big Ten Network may be in the rearview mirror (see what is happening at ESPN). If so, they are going to be looking for more revenue to replace TV contracts.
    I'm not so sure. Live sports viewing is still a huge draw. Especially for Big 10 fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •