College Football News: Minnesota & P.J. Fleck Ready To Row To A Big Ten Title?

Great. So we're going to win four fewer games because we're missing a couple of starters at one unit on the field? Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Not mad about it at all, and that has nothing to do with this. But I'm glad you can finally admit that it happened.

1. I didn't say they will win 5 games. I think they will win 7-8 games but if they don't the change wasn't made for this year. I'm sure you know this but anything to take some weird shot at the new staff.

2. No, I think you made it up in your head but carry on.

Mitch was a multi year starter and a tremendous leader. We all know this because it was told to us by the former staff.

Some of you act like anyone else can step in and be Mitch.

Weve heard reports 30+ players are attending Fleck-led leadership seminars all spring and summer. You can't swing a cat without hitting a leader in the locker room. Results should be exponential.

Mitch's production is replaceable. The leadership part is debatable but see paragraph one. Are you saying Fleck can't develop leaders?

1. I didn't say they will win 5 games. I think they will win 7-8 games but if they don't the change wasn't made for this year. I'm sure you know this but anything to take some weird shot at the new staff.

I'm not taking a shot at the new staff at all. I love the new staff. I'm not the one tamp, tamp, tamping down the expectations at every turn. I hold them to a high standard, just as I do all of the previous staffs. In fact, I hold them to an even higher standard because they're the highest-paid coaching staff (by far) in the history of University of Minnesota football. Why are you acting like it's a miracle if we achieve something we've done 75% of the time in recent years?

2. No, I think you made it up in your head but carry on.

Why did you bring it up if it didn't happen?

I'm not taking a shot at the new staff at all. I love the new staff. I'm not the one tamp, tamp, tamping down the expectations at every turn. I hold them to a high standard, just as I do all of the previous staffs. In fact, I hold them to an even higher standard because they're the highest-paid coaching staff (by far) in the history of University of Minnesota football. Why are you acting like it's a miracle if we achieve something we've done 75% of the time in recent years?

Why did you bring it up if it didn't happen?

1. I just said I think they will win 7-8 games? Do you lack reading comprehension? Did I say it would be a miracle somewhere?

2. Because you think it happened and I think it's hilarious.

I guess I was hallucinating when I read post #54, wherein you threw out the DB expulsions as a convenient excuse for why they won't win 8 games this year.

It's a reason why they probably won't win 9 games this year. Never said it would be a miracle to win 8 games considering who they play. It's possible definently not probable and also wouldn't be a miracle. I'm sure you know the differences.

1. I just said I think they will win 7-8 games? Do you lack reading comprehension? Did I say it would be a miracle somewhere?

2. Because you think it happened and I think it's hilarious.

I guess I was hallucinating when I read post #54, wherein you threw out the DB expulsions as a convenient excuse for why they won't win 8 games this year.

Miracle? No. But this team is less talented and not as deep as the last four teams. Pretty much everyone who closely follows the Gophers outside of GH agrees that this year was going to be a step back regardless of the head coach.

Did I start this JB argument too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miracle? No. But this team is less talented and not as deep as the last four teams. Pretty much everyone who closely follows the Gophers outside of GH agrees that this year was going to be a step back regardless of the head coach.

A step back is eight wins. A giant leap would be 5 wins. Who is this "pretty much everyone" expecting 5-6 wins? Serious question as I'd not seen any serious analysis. You're aware of roster changes, returning production, last 5 recruiting ratings for all our opponents? I'll wait for Bill Connelly to weigh in on probabilities rather than pretty much everyone.

A step back is eight wins. A giant leap would be 5 wins. Who is this "pretty much everyone" expecting 5-6 wins? Serious question as I'd not seen any serious analysis. You're aware of roster changes, returning production, last 5 recruiting ratings for all our opponents? I'll wait for Bill Connelly to weigh in on probabilities rather than pretty much everyone.

8 wins is not a step back, that's what they won in the regular season last year. They just won 5 regular season games two years ago with Leidner having his best year. It's a fine line for the Gophers every single year and the difference between 5 and 8 wins is small. They could have easily lost a few more games in their 8 win season's just like they could have won a few more games in their 5 win season.

Factor in less talent and depth and a new QB and that fine link shrinks even further.

What kind of production do we need out of the QB? Then the question becomes is there a better than even chance the next guy up matches or exceeds. I think the likelihood better than 50%. There are never any guarantees and we don't know what will happen. It's ok to have differing opinions.

What kind of production do we need out of the QB? Then the question becomes is there a better than even chance the next guy up matches or exceeds. I think the likelihood better than 50%. There are never any guarantees and we don't know what will happen. It's ok to have differing opinions.

As I said earlier, the Gophers do not need the new QB to be Tom Brady. They just need someone who can follow the game plan, hit (most of) the passes that are open, and avoid the momentum-crushing Turnovers - like throwing an INT in the red zone that takes points off the board. To start the season, Rhoda is probably the safest choice. I think Croft has more upside, and wouldn't be disappointed to see both get playing time in the non-conference to see which QB handles Fleck's offense better.

But again, with the RB's returning, an OL that should be at least adequate (providing they stay healthy), and a defense with a ton of athletic LB's to build around, the QB doesn't have to be superman. If this team stays healthy, and gets a few breaks, I can definitely see 8 wins or more. 6 wins would be my lowest acceptable outcome - unless the team is riddled with injuries and they wind up playing a buttload of true FR.

Good job setting your sights too high.

First year QB? "Oh yeah... we'll win 8 games easy says Oregon Gopher!"

College teams get new QBs all the time and don't set their sites on 5 wins. WI had a new QB last year. 5 wins and the dude should be fired if there aren't a ton of injuries. That said, I don't expect that at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of Western Michigan's starters in the Cotton Bowl, they had 3 players drafted including a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. They have another 3-4 returning starters that will be drafted next year, including another 1st or 2nd round offensive tackle.

The Gophers had 1 player taken in the 7th round and might not have any drafted next year. Western Michigan was more talented and it's not close.

Stupid.

Based on what? They were solid all around plus have the 6-7 drafted/will be drafted. We had 3 common opponents and both teams went 2-1. They played a closer game with Wisconsin than we have in 8 years.

Not only do I think Western Michigan would have beat us last year, they would have likely been able to beat Iowa or Nebraska or both if they played the same schedule as us. They didn't just beat the MAC, they thoroughly dominated the MAC.

You are so blinded by your teenage love for PJF it is hilarious. You and a few others are just hilarious in how you can twist your story, and actually believe it. While it is always dangerous to compare scores of common opponents, you do realize the Gophers beat Northwestern and Illinois much more convincingly than WMU did.

ESPN has Gophs projected as favorites in seven games, including NEB and MSU.

They haven't talked with GWG yet. He will set them straight on the importance of building culture, and recruiting three star players who are better than the three star players who are already here.

No, not really. I have not heard or read most people say that at all. I have read you and Johnny say that repeatedly. There is a common refrain from media and most on here that there is a lot of returning talent, that the QB can't really be worse but is unknown, and that it will be interesting to see how the new staff works with the players. Almost no one but you and your bobo's are saying that they are lacking a ton of talent. Carry on though with your rhetoric.

You are so blinded by your teenage love for PJF it is hilarious. You and a few others are just hilarious in how you can twist your story, and actually believe it. While it is always dangerous to compare scores of common opponents, you do realize the Gophers beat Northwestern and Illinois much more convincingly than WMU did.

Western Michigan played Northwestern on the road the first game of the year when no one knows what to expect. We played them at home late in the year.

Western Michigan was up by 17 on Illinois at halftime. We were up 1 TD going into the 4th quarter. That game was a lot closer than the final score appeared thanks to Illinois 4th quarter turnover fest. Western Michigan handled them from the beginning and Wes Lunt played in that game. We gave up more points to Jeff George Jr.

I still have plenty of questions on whether PJ will succeed. Recruiting is the last of them and that's all we have to go on for now. Your teenage love for Claeys far surpasses mine for Fleck.

Western Michigan played Northwestern on the road the first game of the year when no one knows what to expect. We played them at home late in the year.

Western Michigan was up by 17 on Illinois at halftime. We were up 1 TD going into the 4th quarter. That game was a lot closer than the final score appeared thanks to Illinois 4th quarter turnover fest. Western Michigan handled them from the beginning and Wes Lunt played in that game. We gave up more points to Jeff George Jr.

I still have plenty of questions on whether PJ will succeed. Recruiting is the last of them and that's all we have to go on for now. Your teenage love for Claeys far surpasses mine for Fleck.

I didn't have a fascination for Claeys. I don't know if he would have succeeded, and there were definitely positives and questions after year one. I only think it is sad how Coyle handled his dismissal and didn't recognize the many positive changes the Kill/Claeys staff made. There was no need to throw them under the bus like he did. Why can't you understand that perspective? That is very different than advocating he should have been given a contract extension. Coyle had every right to make a change - I just didn't like how he made it.

This sums up your posting history perfectly.

Your post didn't require more than that. However, I did notice a few other posters took the time to provide evidence of the stupidity of your post.

I think NDSU must have a ton more talent on their roster than other teams in the Big Ten West because Carson Wentz was drafted in the first round and had a successful first year. They also had a number of other players drafted in recent years. We could probably expect them to win the Big Ten West in fact, pretty much year in and year out.

Of course that is stupid. There are more than 2-3 players on a football team, and it requires a lot of depth to have a good team. That's why your post was stupid.

Your post didn't require more than that. However, I did notice a few other posters took the time to provide evidence of the stupidity of your post.

I think NDSU must have a ton more talent on their roster than other teams in the Big Ten West because Carson Wentz was drafted in the first round and had a successful first year. They also had a number of other players drafted in recent years. We could probably expect them to win the Big Ten West in fact, pretty much year in and year out.

Of course that is stupid. There are more than 2-3 players on a football team, and it requires a lot of depth to have a good team. That's why your post was stupid.

NDSU would absolutely beat 3-4 teams in Big Ten West most years. Also not sure why you think WMU wasn't a good team, their only loss was to Wisconsin by 8 points.

As I said earlier, the Gophers do not need the new QB to be Tom Brady. They just need someone who can follow the game plan, hit (most of) the passes that are open, and avoid the momentum-crushing Turnovers - like throwing an INT in the red zone that takes points off the board. To start the season, Rhoda is probably the safest choice. I think Croft has more upside, and wouldn't be disappointed to see both get playing time in the non-conference to see which QB handles Fleck's offense better.

But again, with the RB's returning, an OL that should be at least adequate (providing they stay healthy), and a defense with a ton of athletic LB's to build around, the QB doesn't have to be superman. If this team stays healthy, and gets a few breaks, I can definitely see 8 wins or more. 6 wins would be my lowest acceptable outcome - unless the team is riddled with injuries and they wind up playing a buttload of true FR.

I guess it depends on where people think the program needs improvement and where a step back can be afforded.

Most people say immediate QB improvement is needed and likely, and I agree. However, I'm not willing to simply draw a straight line and say improved QB play will automatically result in a win total raising by X number of games. It might; but then again it might not.

Last year, Minnesota was 107th in total offense (357.2 ypg) and 63rd in scoring offense (29.3 ppg) while being 21st in both total defense (348.8) and scoring defense (22.1 ppg). While I think the offense could make a significant jump (lets say 400 ypg and 32 ppg), I don't think it's crazy to expect a stepback defensively. This was a top-15 rush defense, but they have to replace three starting defensive linemen and it's a unit without much depth. The secondary also loses three starters.

So while an offensive jump is likely because of improved QB play, don't just assume it will automatically result in more wins.

Kill (and Holtz, and others) would get ripped on mercilessly when they did the "aw, shucks" routine and acted like they had no talent so they could set the bar low and exceed expectations. Fleck doesn't even have to do that because he has a legion of sycophants eagerly and vociferously doing it for him. It really is amazing.

Five wins would be a colossally disappointing season. You don't double your head coach's salary to cut your wins almost in half. Why do you think so little of P.J. Fleck's coaching ability?

This. Not to mention the amount of talent that returns. I get the QB thing but I think there are enough pluses to offset that. I don't expect BiG West but I expect a competitive team that comes out with a decent amount of wins that is playing its best ball at the end of the year. No matter what I will be watching!

Kill (and Holtz, and others) would get ripped on mercilessly when they did the "aw, shucks" routine and acted like they had no talent so they could set the bar low and exceed expectations. Fleck doesn't even have to do that because he has a legion of sycophants eagerly and vociferously doing it for him. It really is amazing.

All part of the act. Just has to pay one guy to light the fire and keep it going.

Top Bottom