SportingNews: College football's Top 25 RBs (Rodney Smith #9)

BTN's Yarina chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Somewhat ironic that Smith got more carries and emerged as the top back because Brooks was banged up.

If both are 100% healthy, I think they are damn near equal. Smith is the more steady runner, but Brooks seems to have the knack for busting off a long run.

It will be very interesting to see how the new staff divvies up the carries.

Somewhat ironic that Smith got more carries and emerged as the top back because Brooks was banged up.

If both are 100% healthy, I think they are damn near equal. Smith is the more steady runner, but Brooks seems to have the knack for busting off a long run.

It will be very interesting to see how the new staff divvies up the carries.

+1. Personally, I have always preferred Brooks. Not a knock at Rodney - 1 and 1A in my book, but there is something about the way Brooks runs that gets me excited every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. Personally, I have always preferred Brooks. Not a knock at Rodney - 1 and 1A in my book, but there is something about the way Brooks runs that gets me excited every time.

Brooks just gets me more fired up with how vicious he runs.

I think Brooks has more potential but Rodney is a very very good (elite?) back too.

They're both fantastic and we look set to enter another golden age in Gopher RBs. Brooks is a decisive and violent runner throwing knockout uppercuts while Smith jabs, bobs, and weaves his way through the defense -some of Smith's runs last year after being dead to rights behind the LOS were Houdini-like. Brooks likes to light up safeties and corners and is extremely difficult to bring down in the open field. They need to swarm him like lions on a stampeding elephant or his constantly moving feet will shake off weak tacklers. I really hope he's healthy this year and we see more outside runs where he seems to excel.

A good comparison tandem from the old NFL would be the Packers of the 60's, Jim Taylor & Paul Hornung.... "Thunder and Lightning"....

A good comparison tandem from the old NFL would be the Packers of the 60's, Jim Taylor & Paul Hornung.... "Thunder and Lightning"....

This is a cheddar free zone. I think you meant this...

Sporting News is becoming a real top notch publication

This is a cheddar free zone. I think you meant this...

Great video & great point.... but the nickname was pilfered....

Brooks runs much "angrier" than even Mahroney did... dares contact.

I like Smith better, but how can you go wrong with either as your #1 guy?

I always thought that Mahroney was more "thunder" than Barber... at least while at the "U".

Nooo... Barber, Like Lendale White (Reggie Bush - was lighting) at USC.
Maroney was always a homerun threat, but not always the short yardage guy. IIRC Maroney's first touch in college was an 80 yard run. Though Maroney didn't fear contact, Barber looked for it.

BTW Cobb and Smith are a better comparison. Rodney runs much like Cobb. Partially because Cobb mentored him. Brooks runs somewhat like Barber, but he is kind of his own guy with his own style.

I think it's the stiff-arms he had in the Purdue game that stick out with Brooks. Smith also runs hard and is not afraid of contact..just does not seek it out like Brooks seems to do.

Top Bottom