What grade would you give Mark Coyle in his first year as AD at Minnesota?

What grade would you give Mark Coyle in his first year as AD at Minnesota?

• A

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • B

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • C

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • D

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • F

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
Oddly, a Boise State tennis coach is sourced in the article. But nothing from two B1G football coaches that have worked with him most recently. I call fake news.

Doesn't matter. They are all sources that have nothing to gain by being negative in a public forum about their boss (current or former) that works in the same industry. What they say could be what they truly feel or the complete opposite. Flip a coin. It isn't even fake news. It isn't news of any kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patton credits incoming Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle with providing enough attention for the whole fleet to survive at Boise State. "Football was starting to sink a little, and he had to fix that," Patton said. "Our (men's) basketball coach loves him. They've improved that program a lot. I think taking care of those two were his marching orders. The revenue schools are going one way and we're fighting for our lives. … It's the job of the rest of us to protect the aircraft carrier and the battleship, even if we do have some pretty good pilots. But I never felt we weren't important. That's the sign of a good leader."

Cruze...Coyle...Mrs Coyle, whatever.

The bold is priceless. Coyle arrived at Boise at the height of Boise State's power in Dec 2011! Their previous three seasons were 13-0, 12-1, 12-1. That should be your first clue this is a hack job. Is it a coincidence Chris Petersen, after staying at BSU and staving off suitors for many, many years b/c he genuinely loved Boise jumped ship just two years after Coyle's arrival?

Coyle went to dinner and got a check from the henpecked husband of a tennis fan! He shoveled snow at the stadium, he did administrator stuff!

He failed when the chips were down. He had a mutiny occur on his watch. Do you know what happens to commanders in the military that suffer mutinies if they aren't fragged by their own men first? You can bet their leadership qualities and command climate will be closely scrutinized.

This is a guy who knows what kind of leader Coyle is:

A Boise State coach gives insight into Mark Coyle

Boise State men's tennis coach Greg Patton is a man of metaphors, and as befits his last name, his vision of the Bronco athletic department comes straight from the battlefield.

The football team is the aircraft carrier. The men's basketball team is the battleship. And the rest of the sports are jets and destroyers, valuable members of the armada in their own right, but ultimately dependent on the big boats for survival.

Patton credits incoming Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle with providing enough attention for the whole fleet to survive at Boise State. "Football was starting to sink a little, and he had to fix that," Patton said. "Our (men's) basketball coach loves him. They've improved that program a lot. I think taking care of those two were his marching orders. The revenue schools are going one way and we're fighting for our lives. … It's the job of the rest of us to protect the aircraft carrier and the battleship, even if we do have some pretty good pilots. But I never felt we weren't important. That's the sign of a good leader."

In Patton's case, the perfect example comes from a lunch Coyle shared with him and a reluctant tennis booster. Patton, Coyle and women's coach Beck Roghaar all spent an afternoon lunching with a local attorney with no interest in the game.

The man's wife was a fan, prompting the meeting, but Patton's initial impression was that the man was largely disinterested. By the time they were done with the meal, however, Coyle had the four men laughing like old friends, and the tennis budget was boosted by a generous check.

"I don't even think he was really into Boise State," Patton said.

It's the type of hands-on approach that Coyle is known for in Idaho, where he's been photographed shoveling snow before football games, takes an active role in scheduling for football and men's basketball, and is seen as often at non-revenue events as he is at Boise State's football and basketball games.

Boise State declined to make any other coaches available, referring to a statement from the school, but Patton said Coyle's approach made the prioritization of the marquee sports at Boise State palatable to an array of veteran non-revenue head coaches.

His involvement in every sport created a feeling of community within the athletic department instead of competition. When Patton had a high-priority recruit visiting campus — "one that I really need," he says — he'd call over to Coyle's office and tell him he was going to visit. The athletic director always made time. "He'd sell them on the family atmosphere and the type of people we have around here," Patton said.

Syracuse football player Sam Rodgers said two of the reasons Coyle made a good impression during his interview were his record with Boise State's football team and his devotion to student-athlete welfare.

Patton agreed Rodgers' impression of Coyle was accurate. The Boise State athletic director frequently handles even minor disciplinary issues, like citations for underage possession of alcohol, by meeting with athletes himself. "He'd meet with them, talk with them, let them know they were representing the school and the community," Patton said. "It wasn't like getting called to the principal's office. More like a counselor."

The Syracuse athletic department that Coyle walks into has plenty of its own issues. The football program is struggling with a head coach on the hot seat. The basketball team is dealing with potentially damaging NCAA sanctions and a critical decision after Jim Boeheim retires in three years. The athletic department has had public relations disasters ranging from a failed attempt to restore its No. 44 jersey to misspelling the name of Roosevelt Bouie on a ceremonial gift on a night that his jersey was raised to the Carrier Dome rafters.

Still, Patton said, it can't be more chaotic than the situation Coyle walked into at Boise State in December of 2011. With conference re-alignment swirling there was no natural place for Boise State. The Broncos briefly appeared headed for a merged MWC/Conference USA, and then to the American Athletic Conference before ultimately remaining where they were.

Coyle took charge in the midst of the game of musical chairs, replacing former athletic director Gene Bleymiaer after an NCAA investigation involving several sports."He was putting out fires everywhere," Patton said. "Everyone had just started to get comfortable. The community was just starting to know him. He had a subtle influence."

Bleymaier was "an institution" at Boise State, Patton said, and one of the four most powerful men in the state after spending 30 years as an athletic director. Coyle, in his first athletic director job, faced skepticism from coaches accustomed to the rule and reputation of one man. First Coyle listened to them. Then he worked for them. And eventually, according to Patton, he won them over.

At first glance, Coyle's resume seems an ideal fit for the Orange. Naturally, though, some will remain skeptical. Patton, for one, believes they won't remain that way for long.

"He didn't try to fill his shoes," Patton said. "I think you'll really like him. He's a really good man. He's a man of values and ethics. He's a mover and a shaker. And he's a doer. He gets the hammer and he bangs the nail."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...ark_coyle_syracuse_new_athletic_director.html

The guy he's talking about sounds awesome. It does not describe the guy we have as an AD. As a matter of fact what I've seen, not as an employee but as an alumni is almost completely opposite to what's being described. It is who I thought we hired. It is not what we got.

He failed when the chips were down. He had a mutiny occur on his watch. Do you know what happens to commanders in the military that suffer mutinies if they aren't fragged by their own men first? You can bet their leadership qualities and command climate will be closely scrutinized.

And that's exactly why Claeys was fired.

Oddly, a Boise State tennis coach is sourced in the article. But nothing from two B1G football coaches that have worked with him most recently. I call fake news.

What two Big Ten coaches did he work with in 2015? Do you understand the meaning of fake news?

Cruze...Coyle...Mrs Coyle, whatever.

The bold is priceless. Coyle arrived at Boise at the height of Boise State's power in Dec 2011! Their previous three seasons were 13-0, 12-1, 12-1. That should be your first clue this is a hack job. Is it a coincidence Chris Petersen, after staying at BSU and staving off suitors for many, many years b/c he genuinely loved Boise jumped ship just two years after Coyle's arrival?

Coyle went to dinner and got a check from the henpecked husband of a tennis fan! He shoveled snow at the stadium, he did administrator stuff!

Is it really a surprise that Petersen left? Most successful mid-major coaches eventually give in to the money, power, and fame that come with a major conference coaching job. Dayton's AD must be awful. Just let Archie go to be the Indiana BB coach. Butler's too. How do you lose Brad Stevens?

And as far as a mutiny that was so GD awful...didn't we end up playing and winning the game? That situation could have ended with the embarrassment of having to request a release from a bowl game about a week before it was played. But that didn't happen. Maybe I just look at things in a different way, but to me the results of a situation matter a lot more than the optics.

Is it really a surprise that Petersen left? Most successful mid-major coaches eventually give in to the money, power, and fame that come with a major conference coaching job. Dayton's AD must be awful. Just let Archie go to be the Indiana BB coach. Butler's too. How do you lose Brad Stevens?

And as far as a mutiny that was so GD awful...didn't we end up playing and winning the game? That situation could have ended with the embarrassment of having to request a release from a bowl game about a week before it was played. But that didn't happen. Maybe I just look at things in a different way, but to me the results of a situation matter a lot more than the optics.

Your right, the results matter more than the optics. IF Coyle had stepped up and led during this time and solved the issue, then he would have solved the problem. Your statement would make sense. Problem is he didn't. Two regents had to step in to fill the complete and total void of leadership displayed by the AD. To be fair, he only showed the total lack of leadership his boss also displayed. Thus, Coyle did nothing to solve the problem and created incredibly poor optics at the same time. Quite the feat. But I guess because he disappeared and someone else stepped in, alls well that ends well?

Your facetiousness detector is out of wack.

Don't try to rewrite history. Coyle was nowhere to be found until the pathetic Claeys dismissal press conference.

Your right, the results matter more than the optics. IF Coyle had stepped up and led during this time and solved the issue, then he would have solved the problem. Your statement would make sense. Problem is he didn't. Two regents had to step in to fill the complete and total void of leadership displayed by the AD. To be fair, he only showed the total lack of leadership his boss also displayed. Thus, Coyle did nothing to solve the problem and created incredibly poor optics at the same time. Quite the feat. But I guess because he disappeared and someone else stepped in, alls well that ends well?

Yes, all is well that ends well. Bottom line is that we played the game and we won. And then we hired probably the hottest name on the market to take over our football program. If you want to get caught up in news articles and all the optics then sure, it wasn't handled perfectly. I've never stated otherwise. But what were the results again?

Your facetiousness detector is out of wack.

Don't try to rewrite history. Coyle was nowhere to be found until the pathetic Claeys dismissal press conference.

I don't think I said anything that was false so I don't think I'm rewriting history, but please feel free to correct any facts I got wrong.

I guess we differ on how we view the press conference. I'd say he didn't get a 10/10, but "pathetic" is pretty harsh. Coyle made a decision and left no doubt that it was his choice. Then he said he would hire a new coach soon, and that it would be someone who would bring our program to the next level. Then he went out and hired the best name on the market. As far as I'm concerned that means he delivered, at least in the short term. If you want to get wrapped up in press conferences and news articles that's fine, but I care about what happens on the field. If you want to bring some pom poms to the press conference that's your choice.

I don't think I said anything that was false so I don't think I'm rewriting history, but please feel free to correct any facts I got wrong.

I guess we differ on how we view the press conference. I'd say he didn't get a 10/10, but "pathetic" is pretty harsh. Coyle made a decision and left no doubt that it was his choice. Then he said he would hire a new coach soon, and that it would be someone who would bring our program to the next level. Then he went out and hired the best name on the market. As far as I'm concerned that means he delivered, at least in the short term. If you want to get wrapped up in press conferences and news articles that's fine, but I care about what happens on the field. If you want to bring some pom poms to the press conference that's your choice.

You implied Coyle was in charge of getting the situation stabilized rather than the regents getting together with the players, promising a fair appeals process, and putting the control rods back in the reactor.

If you can't discern how unprofessional that press conference was I can't help you. It's sort of like explaining right and wrong to a young child. Why can't I steal that lollipop? Because it's not the right thing to do.

Yes, all is well that ends well. Bottom line is that we played the game and we won. And then we hired probably the hottest name on the market to take over our football program. If you want to get caught up in news articles and all the optics then sure, it wasn't handled perfectly. I've never stated otherwise. But what were the results again?

That the AD did not do his job. That was the result. Keep telling yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better.

You are ignoring the fact that MC was at the top of the list as to why the mutiny happened. And not on the list at all as to why it was resolved.

What two Big Ten coaches did he work with in 2015? Do you understand the meaning of fake news?

Both JK and TC had very direct interaction with MC during the events which unfolded last year and I would love to hear their take on how MC handles himself when leadership is required. A Boise State tennis coach? Not so much.

Both JK and TC had very direct interaction with MC during the events which unfolded last year and I would love to hear their take on how MC handles himself when leadership is required. A Boise State tennis coach? Not so much.

Did you see when that article was written? How was the Syracuse paper supposed to know in June 2015 that Mark Coyle would take the Minnesota AD job and later interact with "JK and TC"? Are journalists supposed to see the future?

I trust the opinion of this guy over the opinions of both Kill and Claeys:

“My family and I love living in the Twin Cities and look forward to continuing to build a strong men’s basketball program on and off the court,” Pitino said. “I have loved getting to know and working with Mark Coyle this past year. Mark and President Kaler’s commitment to athletics is second to none. The future of Gopher basketball is very bright and I am excited to be a part of it.”

http://www.fairmontsentinel.com/spo...4/pitino-signs-1-year-extension-with-gophers/

and this guy:

Fleck wants to be here, in part because he was looking to take the next step in his coaching career, in part because Coyle is here as Minnesota's athletic director (he considers Coyle a "rock star" in his field), and in part because he loves a challenge.

Fleck had a challenge when he showed up at Western Michigan, where he went from 1-11 his first season, to 8-5, 8-5 and finally 13-1 in his four years. And now he has one at Minnesota.

"They haven't won a championship here in over 50 years," Fleck said. "There have been a lot of coaches here in 50 years who've tried to do it. But that is what is exciting for me and fuels me every day. I want kids to think differently than they ever have before about Minnesota football."

And he wants the public to think differently about him than any other coach they've experienced. He says he has Coyle's blessing in being different, and to sell that difference.

"I'm not here to be compared to anyone else," Fleck said. "I'm here to be me and for our team to be us.

This is about way more than football for me, and it is about way more than football for Coyle. That is why I think we're such a great fit.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_1803178a-6d31-5a0f-addb-a7ba456445a6.html

I trust the opinion of this guy over the opinions of both Kill and Claeys:

“My family and I love living in the Twin Cities and look forward to continuing to build a strong men’s basketball program on and off the court,” Pitino said. “I have loved getting to know and working with Mark Coyle this past year. Mark and President Kaler’s commitment to athletics is second to none. The future of Gopher basketball is very bright and I am excited to be a part of it.”

http://www.fairmontsentinel.com/spo...4/pitino-signs-1-year-extension-with-gophers/

and this guy:

Fleck wants to be here, in part because he was looking to take the next step in his coaching career, in part because Coyle is here as Minnesota's athletic director (he considers Coyle a "rock star" in his field), and in part because he loves a challenge.

Fleck had a challenge when he showed up at Western Michigan, where he went from 1-11 his first season, to 8-5, 8-5 and finally 13-1 in his four years. And now he has one at Minnesota.

"They haven't won a championship here in over 50 years," Fleck said. "There have been a lot of coaches here in 50 years who've tried to do it. But that is what is exciting for me and fuels me every day. I want kids to think differently than they ever have before about Minnesota football."

And he wants the public to think differently about him than any other coach they've experienced. He says he has Coyle's blessing in being different, and to sell that difference.

"I'm not here to be compared to anyone else," Fleck said. "I'm here to be me and for our team to be us.

This is about way more than football for me, and it is about way more than football for Coyle. That is why I think we're such a great fit.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_1803178a-6d31-5a0f-addb-a7ba456445a6.html

Dude - you can't believe what someone says about their boss when asked by the media.

Ever said anything bad about your boss at the water-cooler? Sure. Now would you say the same in a mass email to your entire company? Of course not. Now, how about if that mass email was also going to be published? I'm guessing you would only say good as well. Your references above offer absolutely no support to your argument.

Dude - you can't believe what someone says about their boss when asked by the media.

Ever said anything bad about your boss at the water-cooler? Sure. Now would you say the same in a mass email to your entire company? Of course not. Now, how about if that mass email was also going to be published? I'm guessing you would only say good as well. Your references above offer absolutely no support to your argument.

Right on. That's about the worst kind of proof you could offer.

Yet Claeys was the one who publicly went against what his boss told him. Yet some on here can't figure out why he was fired or fail to admit that he's to blame.

Yet Claeys was the one who publicly went against what his boss told him. Yet some on here can't figure out why he was fired or fail to admit that he's to blame.

But that isn't why MC said he fired TC?

Did you see when that article was written? How was the Syracuse paper supposed to know in June 2015 that Mark Coyle would take the Minnesota AD job and later interact with "JK and TC"? Are journalists supposed to see the future?

If you believe my response was about expecting journalists to predict the future, you completely missed my point. I will type slower for you next time.

I think what just happened at K-State is a good example of what I would have liked to have seen from our AD during the mess we had.

Bill Snyder blocked a player from transferring, there's a he said he said about who told who what before the kid was told he couldn't transfer. Then after it hit the media, Bill went completely insane and talked to the media and claimed the kid failed some drug tests...

The next day K-State's AD (who apparently had been out of town) talked to bill and:

"After having further dialogue with Coach Snyder and the Sutton family, we believe that it is in everyone’s best interest to grant Corey his full release. We wish Corey the best as he continues his athletic and academic career."

Blamo, AD time and problem solved. But we didn't get that from our AD when we had a mess.

It didn't happen because of the efforts of two Board of Regents members spending hours with the players and listening. Kaler and Coyle actually made the situation worse when they met the players.

Yes, per the actors that were actually there Rosha and Hsu stayed up till dawn with the players the night before the deadline discussing all aspects of the situation. Elmore explicitly said Coyle caused the initial anger and decision to boycott. They, Coyle and Kaler purportedly said things to the players that were not true during negotiations, misled fans and the public about who suspended the players, etc. Not to mention the implied guilt of the players before the process was complete, failure to call for rational discourse. They really fed the mob.

In the end from the university perspective their actions were 100% to mitigate against possible civil suit from the young lady and for PR purposes rather than fairly looking after the reputations and livelihoods of these young men.

The telltale sign that the usual suspects have no substance behind their claims is they don't provide sources and links to back-up their fantasies. They just go on spinning their yarns and expect rational people to believe them. From the very beginning they have exhibited an embarrassing ignorance about the U's student disciplinary procedures and the legal due process required in such actions. Although GopherHole is overrun with people who will believe any post that supports their preconceived notions, the majority of posters have higher standards for themselves. This thread is proof of that. Kaler and Coyle are in the clear regarding the player suspensions and firing Claeys. They both will keep their jobs as long as the continue to want them. The on-going Regent's investigation and player lawsuits will not change that any more than the outliers in GopherHole will change their phony allegations and misstatements of fact about what happened.

The telltale sign that the usual suspects have no substance behind their claims is they don't provide sources and links to back-up their fantasies. They just go on spinning their yarns and expect rational people to believe them. Although GopherHole is overrun with people who will believe any post that supports their preconceived notions the majority of posters have higher standards for themselves. Kaler and Coyle are in the clear regarding the player suspensions and firing Claeys. The on-going Regent's investigation and player lawsuits will not change that any more than the outliers in GopherHole will change their phony allegations and misstatements of fact about what happened.

Mr Coyle, it is getting pretty pathetic at this point.

Gaelin Elmore: The thoughts of the boycott really started after that Wednesday practice (Dec. 14) when Coyle came after our practice and spoke to us. He gave us a chance to ask questions and said he would give us answers, and at that point a lot of the guys on the team knew that he was the one that handed out the suspensions. The first two days, it was really up in the air. We were like, what is the EOAA? We really didn’t know anything about that board, so we had to do research on our own.

We told the guys from Day 1, if this stuff happened, we can’t stand by you.
So, we were like, maybe they have the power to suspend our players, and if they did, then we could understand. But we found out that Coyle was the one who handed out the suspensions. That was around the time where, publicly, he came out and said Claeys did it. We knew right away that he told Claeys he was going to do it, and Claeys, not being insubordinate, was like, “OK, you’ve made up your mind, I can’t do anything about it.” So, we knew that (Coyle) handed out the suspensions; we knew he told the public that our coach either agreed or did it himself, so that had us upset.

We were asking questions about the appeals process, he said, “I don’t understand the process so well. I can’t give you a date on the appeals.” So, guys were getting frustrated and fidgety, so someone just came out and said, “OK, forget the BS, why did you suspend our players? Because we know you did it.” And he answered, and I think this is where it really turned for the worse, he said, “Based on the information I’ve been given, I’ve come to the decision that we need to suspend the players.”

So, someone followed up with, “Well, what’s that information? Can we know anything?” And he was like, “I don’t have enough information right now to tell you that.” So, the team was like, you
suspended our players based on this information, but you don’t have enough information to tell us that? That’s what set the team off, and right after that question, he left, and it was left at that.

At this point, coach Claeys isn’t even in town. He’s at San Diego at the (Holiday Bowl) press conference.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/05/why-did-the-gophers-boycott-a-team-leader-explains/

PP: So, Claeys didn’t know you were thinking of boycotting before he left?

GE: No. We didn’t talk to Claeys from Tuesday night to Thursday afternoon. He didn’t have any idea.

So, the team went home and people were mad and a bunch of us are getting text messages like, “What do we do? We’ve got to do something.” Clearly, there was something wrong in that (Coyle) doesn’t know what’s going on and he’s still acting like we didn’t know what the situation was. No one told us. He never said there was a report, never said anything like that. So, we had no idea. We see they’ve suspended these five kids, and then they lump in another five that we didn’t even know had any connection to this at all, and their names are released to the public with no explanation of why they were suspended, so the public has the opportunity to create their own narrative — “Oh, this happened again. Is this something new? Get rid of these kids.” And 24 hours later, these kids are rapists; we have a rape culture. It was handled so poorly that it changed the whole view of our football program.

PP: But at any point, when Coyle comes in to explain the suspensions, did anyone think, well, he’s the AD, he knows what he’s doing?

GE: No, because his answers made it seem like he had no idea. And it was like, you’re the AD, you did this; how do you not know enough? That’s when a lot of guys were like, ‘This isn’t right.’ We had no idea. (The suspensions) came out of nowhere. If someone just has a conversation with us before (the suspensions) happen, says, “You know what? This is a Title IX, EOAA investigation, it’s really out of our hands; we’re going to suspend the guys until it’s clear,” we’d have been fine. Or even when it was released to the public, at least tell the public the kids were suspended based on the investigation that has been ongoing since Sept. 2. If that’s said, (the boycott) doesn’t happen. But none of that happened, and our team felt we had no other option.

More excerpts

PP: How many of you were talking to Kaler and Coyle?

GE: There were like 10 of us at this point, all upperclassmen. So, our phones are blowing up from the players in the team meeting room, and I finally look down at one and it says, “Don’t agree to anything; you can’t really trust them.” They had just seen that (the school) had released a statement saying we were unwilling to meet with them. They released that at like 6:15 (p.m.), when they were already on their way to come meet with us. We met with them at like 6:30, and the public thinks we’re uncooperative. So, our team was like, “They’re clearly trying to manipulate this. They’re lying.” So, we went back to the team meeting room to see what (players) thought.

Kaler and Coyle left talks with the players before 9 p.m. without an agreement and players prepared to skip the game. The players invited the regents in, according to three people who were there, and a marathon discussion lasted until dawn.

"We weren't negotiating," Hsu said. "We had nothing to give them. We were only there to talk to them, help understand them, help them understand us, the university, us as regents. Help them think through the ramifications."

They talked about criticism the team received after announcing the boycott with a statement that paid little attention to the allegations made by the woman. If they pulled out of the bowl game, would they look like they were defending sexual assault?

Would the coaching staff lose their jobs?

They talked about their legacies. Carrying through with the boycott would have made them the first team in college football history to pull out of a bowl game under protest. Did they want to be known for that?

"They appeared to really want to get it right for all involved: the reporting student, the public, the university, the team," Rosha said. "While they didn't seem sure about what the right approach was, they did conclude it wasn't maintaining the boycott."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oycott-is-over-but-tensions-are-not/95866234/

The telltale sign that the usual suspects have no substance behind their claims is they don't provide sources and links to back-up their fantasies. They just go on spinning their yarns and expect rational people to believe them. From the very beginning they have exhibited an embarrassing ignorance about the U's student disciplinary procedures and the legal due process required in such actions. Although GopherHole is overrun with people who will believe any post that supports their preconceived notions, the majority of posters have higher standards for themselves. This thread is proof of that. Kaler and Coyle are in the clear regarding the player suspensions and firing Claeys. They both will keep their jobs as long as the continue to want them. The on-going Regent's investigation and player lawsuits will not change that any more than the outliers in GopherHole will change their phony allegations and misstatements of fact about what happened.

I'd like to find your ignorance refreshing; however, I cant help but feel bad for you that you are so clueless as to all that happened. It really is quite sad. Good luck in life Cruze - I'm rooting for you.

Top Bottom