CBS: Michigan State jumps Kentucky and is now favored to win the 2018 NCAA Tournament

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Michigan State is now the early favorite ahead of Kentucky to win the NCAA championship in 2018, according to the latest odds from the Westgate Superbook in Las Vegas.

After opening up at 20/1 the Spartans are now now 7/1 to win the NCAA Tournament this season. Michigan State returns a talented young roster led by Miles Bridges, who spurned the NBA for a shot to win it all with the Spartans. Bridges has a chance to be a preseason first-team All-American and will be one of the most explosive athletes in college basketball next season -- something we know Tom Izzo can work his magic with as he proved this past season. Sparty is coming off a season that finished just shy of a Sweet Sixteen appearance and returns all five starters.

Kentucky, on the other hand, is replacing virtually every big name from its roster last season and remains 10/1 to win the NCAA Tournament. John Calipari will boast his most inexperienced roster ever because eight of his top nine scorers are moving on either to the professional ranks or to graduation. But what he lacks in experience he makes up for in potential, bringing in five 5-star recruits (six if Hamidou Diallo opts to return). The Wildcats will be talented, no doubt, but Calipari's coaching chops will be put to the test more next season than ever.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-now-favored-to-win-the-2018-ncaa-tournament/

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota is shown 36 names down? Why doesn't Minnesota reflect more of its preseason ranking?

Minnesota is shown 36 names down? Why doesn't Minnesota reflect more of its preseason ranking?

Not sure how we're considered a longer shot than Wisconsin and Indiana.

Because odds aren't meant to pick a winner. It only reflects who people are placing bets on. Wisconsin and Indiana have much bigger names than we do and are expected to be better than us even in their down years.

That means Minnesota is a good value bet...

They have more recent experience in the tournament. The Gophers didnt impress anyone in their last tournament game, the only game that a lot of people saw of us outside of the big10 during the season.

I get that Michigan state has guys coming back along with guys coming in, but they're getting a lot of hype for a team that got the 5 seed in the big ten tourney, went 20-15, and got beat by 20 in the round of 32.

I get why people think they'll have a good season, but favorite to win the national title seems aggressive to me.

I get that Michigan state has guys coming back along with guys coming in, but they're getting a lot of hype for a team that got the 5 seed in the big ten tourney, went 20-15, and got beat by 20 in the round of 32.

I get why people think they'll have a good season, but favorite to win the national title seems aggressive to me.

Agree with this. Not that they aren't replaceable but they also lose Eron Harris and Alvin Ellis too.

Personally i think Arizona should be the favorite, Kentucky will be good, but nine freshman, I think Sparty will get to the Final Four though

Alot of the issues last year came down to having no post depth. It was Nick Ward and a 6-6 walkon and that was literally it. Losing two post guys to knee injuries and deyonta Davis bolting early were unexpected outcomes that left us ridiculously thin.
Very excited to have depth and quality depth in the post. Being able to run Bridges at the 3 which he didn't hardly get to do last year will be great as well. Not sure about number one but a very solid top 5 with a very legitimate shot to win it.

Top Bottom