Pioneer Press: UMN regents OK skyways for Athletes Village

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Verges:

The University of Minnesota is building skyways to keep its student-athletes warm while walking between practice facilities, but hundreds of freshmen will have to walk outside to get to their nearest cafeteria.

Regents on Friday approved final designs for the $166 million Athletes Village and a $105 million renovation for Pioneer Hall.

Skyways and corridors for the football and basketball practice center, considered optional in early designs, were included in the final plan at a cost of $3 million.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/1...tes-village-pass-on-tunnel-for-freshmen-dorm/

Go Gophers!!

I think that is quietly quite a big deal for a lot of players coming from much warmer climates. Really glad they decided to build that skyway. I can't tell you how many people I've met from out of state who know basically nothing about MN but do know about the skyways and are very impressed and interested in them. Has happened so many times but I'm always slightly surprised and caught off guard for whatever reason. In fact, it even happened today with my Uber driver in Atlanta. He's lived in NY and Atlanta his entire life, never been to MN, but one of the first things he mentioned was the skyways after asking where I was from.

I think that is quietly quite a big deal for a lot of players coming from much warmer climates. Really glad they decided to build that skyway. I can't tell you how many people I've met from out of state who know basically nothing about MN but do know about the skyways and are very impressed and interested in them. Has happened so many times but I'm always slightly surprised and caught off guard for whatever reason. In fact, it even happened today with my Uber driver in Atlanta. He's lived in NY and Atlanta his entire life, never been to MN, but one of the first things he mentioned was the skyways after asking where I was from.
Interesting view. So if today's roster was it on opening day of the practice facility, we would have Mason and Fitz from Georgia, Murphy from Texas, Konate and Diedhiou from warmer countries. Skyways if my California math is correct at 3,000MM works out to a 600,000 spiff per recruit. Warm parkas might save a few dollars.

Interesting view. So if today's roster was it on opening day of the practice facility, we would have Mason and Fitz from Georgia, Murphy from Texas, Konate and Diedhiou from warmer countries. Skyways if my California math is correct at 3,000MM works out to a 600,000 spiff per recruit. Warm parkas might save a few dollars.

Good thing that they're not exclusively for the basketball players.

Perhaps your Uber driver was a Replacements fan?

per Verges:

The University of Minnesota is building skyways to keep its student-athletes warm while walking between practice facilities, but hundreds of freshmen will have to walk outside to get to their nearest cafeteria.

Regents on Friday approved final designs for the $166 million Athletes Village and a $105 million renovation for Pioneer Hall.

Skyways and corridors for the football and basketball practice center, considered optional in early designs, were included in the final plan at a cost of $3 million.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/1...tes-village-pass-on-tunnel-for-freshmen-dorm/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like somebody has a burr under their saddle. Is this a new dorm he is referring too? I thought they were all connected to an eating facility. Certainly Pioneer, Territorial, Comstock, Sanford and the other two super block dorms are connected to their dining.

Sounds like somebody has a burr under their saddle. Is this a new dorm he is referring too? I thought they were all connected to an eating facility. Certainly Pioneer, Territorial, Comstock, Sanford and the other two super block dorms are connected to their dining.

Pioneer and Territorial share an underground cafeteria area connected by a tunnel, it is being replaced with an above ground eating area and the tunnel is being removed, the students that dorm in Pioneer are going to have to go outside to get to the new cafeteria. That's a bit crazy and short sighted if you ask me.

Pioneer and Territorial share an underground cafeteria area connected by a tunnel, it is being replaced with an above ground eating area and the tunnel is being removed, the students that dorm in Pioneer are going to have to go outside to get to the new cafeteria. That's a bit crazy and short sighted if you ask me.

It seems like a step backward. They couldn't come up with a way to connect it to Pioneer and Territorial with at least a three season walkway? The freaking bridge is even heated!

Top Bottom