Pioneer Press: UMN regents OK skyways for Athletes Village

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Verges:

The University of Minnesota is building skyways to keep its student-athletes warm while walking between practice facilities, but hundreds of freshmen will have to walk outside to get to their nearest cafeteria.

Regents on Friday approved final designs for the $166 million Athletes Village and a $105 million renovation for Pioneer Hall.

Skyways and corridors for the football and basketball practice center, considered optional in early designs, were included in the final plan at a cost of $3 million.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/1...tes-village-pass-on-tunnel-for-freshmen-dorm/

Go Gophers!!

Not sure of the design but going outside from the locker room to get to the practice facility seems ridiculous. As I remember most students walk outside to get to the cafeteria- not just freshmen.

I say forget the skyways and use the money for the badly needed linemen center. The football program won't take that next step without it.

Put sleds in the skyways and make the lineman push them from building to building. Both problems solved.

Now this is the "thinking outside the box" the U is missing. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like many of the supporters supported both but that they lost enough to pass it because it would've added costs to students to build it where as the athletes village is from donations.

If someone donated 5 million for a lunch tunnel I bet they'd accept the money and build it.

Now if we can just get the skyway connected to the downtown skyway system...

Top Bottom