STrib: Fleck's top assistant Gophers football coaches will make more than $3.2MM

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

The Gophers will pay P.J. Fleck’s offensive and defensive coordinators $700,000 salaries, up from $550,000 under former coach Tracy Claeys, according to assistant coaching contracts obtained by the Star Tribune.

Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca and defensive coordinator Robb Smith each signed two-year, $1.4 million contracts, while the other seven assistant coaches received one-year deals.

Fleck’s top nine assistants will combine to make $3.215 million next season. The people in those positions made $2.93 million last year under Claeys, with then-offensive coordinator Jay Johnson and then-defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel making $550,000 apiece.

Smith made $825,000 last season as Arkansas’ defensive coordinator, which made him the 23rd-highest paid assistant coach in the country, according to USA Today.

Gophers offensive line coach Ed Warinner will make $375,000 in his new deal after making $654,500 last year as Ohio State’s co-offensive coordinator/tight ends coach.

Defensive backs coach Maurice Linquist, who previously coached at Mississippi State, is Fleck’s next-highest- paid assistant, at $350,000.

Special teams coordinator Rob Wenger is making $230,000, wide receivers coach Matt Simon, defensive line coach Bryce Paup and tight ends coach Brian Callahan are each making $220,000, and running backs coach Kenni Burns is making $200,000.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...-more-than-3-2-million-next-season/422137373/

Go Gophers!!

It's nice to see someone who realizes football is the biggest money maker for an athletic department, and by putting money into you have a better chance of putting a better product on the field which might just increase outside support financially.

If these guys can develop players and manufacture winning efforts on game days they are worth every penny and then some.

It's nice to see someone who realizes football is the biggest money maker for an athletic department, and by putting money into you have a better chance of putting a better product on the field which might just increase outside support financially.

I'm assuming previous AD's knew this as well. The difference seems to be that MC convinced the Board of it better than the past guys did.

Have to wonder how much of that was part of the negotiations with Fleck. "If I'm coming in as head coach, I have to be able to pay my assistant coaches better salaries to attract and retain top people."

At the same time, MN fans - for better or worse - are less forgiving the more money that a coach or player makes. (example #1 Joe Mauer). If Fleck does not produce, there will be griping about his salary, or the amount of $ being paid to the assistants.

If Warinner puts together a dominating OL this year his salary should double.

If Warinner puts together a dominating OL this year his salary should double.

Amen. Plus his recruiting area should be a pipeline to lots of great football players. Somehow PJF has to find more money for him. But then, how much money does one really need? My wife seems to think more is always better. Perhaps his wife thinks the same - not sure but I think it is a bra disease.

Amen. Plus his recruiting area should be a pipeline to lots of great football players. Somehow PJF has to find more money for him. But then, how much money does one really need? My wife seems to think more is always better. Perhaps his wife thinks the same - not sure but I think it is a bra disease.

:). He is barely getting half of what he got last year at tOSU, granted it was a higher position. The OL will determine much of the success this year. And every year.

Top Bottom