Scoggins: Gophers AD Coyle earns high marks in first year full of turmoil

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
Scoggins:

On his second day as Gophers athletic director, Mark Coyle placed J Robinson on administrative leave while the school examined the long-time wrestling coach’s handling of a drug problem inside his program.

On the one-year anniversary of Coyle’s being hired, the university’s Board of Regents held an emergency meeting to discuss leaked confidential information regarding the head athletics fundraiser violating the school’s sexual harassment policy.

The days between those two end points weren’t exactly smooth sailing, either.

Coyle’s first year in charge of Gophers athletics witnessed a staggering amount of crisis management, important decisions and change.

With the exception of Baylor, perhaps no athletic department in the country faced as many challenges and big-ticket items as Coyle’s operation.

In introducing Coyle to the public last May, University President Eric Kaler noted that “Mark’s new job here is a big one, with large challenges to tackle and exciting opportunities to seize.”

The part about his job being challenging is like describing the sun as hot. A quick recap of Year 1:

Coyle fired two coaches, gave contract extensions to three others, became embroiled in a football crisis that brought national embarrassment, hired a new football coach, unveiled a series of initiatives designed to boost sagging attendance, placed his top fundraiser on administrative leave in a sexual harassment case and watched his department’s physical structure change daily with ongoing construction of the $166 million Athletes Village that still requires heavy lifting in fundraising.

That says nothing of the day-to-day brushfires that inevitably arise with overseeing 25 sports teams.

Coyle wasn’t doing interviews this week, but his evaluation isn’t required to reasonably assume that his first year proved more eventful than he anticipated. Or wanted.

Coyle worked in the department previously as an associate AD. So he understood that Minnesota is a tough job. But even someone with experience running a large athletic department — such as Coyle — would find all those situations combined to form a daunting agenda.

Not everything caused him sleepless nights. The volleyball and softball teams had marvelous seasons. Men’s basketball did an about-face under Richard Pitino and now has a promising future. New coach P.J. Fleck blew into town like a hurricane and made people take notice of Gophers football with his limitless energy and zest for recruiting. Plenty of reasons exist to feel encouraged.

But a new sexual harassment case this week reaffirmed that Coyle can never feel too comfortable, even if things seem to be moving in a positive direction.

Coyle’s leadership style was revealed in his actions. His personality is unassuming but he’s shown a willingness to make tough or unpopular decisions. He fired football coach Tracy Claeys after a 9-4 season because Coyle felt the program needed a fresh start.

Coyle signed men’s hockey coach Don Lucia to a two-year contract extension in October after the Gophers failed to make the NCAA tournament in 2015-16.

The most dramatic moment of Coyle’s first year came in December when he suspended 10 football players connected to an alleged sexual assault.

The severity of the allegations — though no one was criminally charged — necessitated action that was bound to offend one side. Coyle angered players and many fans by not waiting for the appeals process to be completed before issuing punishment. That decision gained more scrutiny when five of the players were cleared during the appeals process.

The ripples of that crisis continue. The university recently commissioned a review by two outside attorneys to determine if the school followed proper procedure in handling the case.

Now, there’s another investigation by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, which found that associate athletic director Randy Handel violated the school’s sexual harassment policy toward an employee. Handel was placed on paid leave until the case is complete.

On Friday, Kaler gave Coyle high marks for his first year.

“I’m extremely pleased with Mark’s progress,” Kaler said.

The opinion here last May was that Kaler made a smart hire in Coyle. That opinion hasn’t changed, despite some of the turmoil.

Coyle is a good fit for a job that tests a person’s patience. His first year challenged him in ways that were remarkable even by Gopher standards. Less drama in Year 2 would be nice.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...arks-in-first-year-full-of-turmoil/422183833/

Do you suppose Coyle invited each of the media to dinner and...asked for their loyalty?

Scoggins: As a journalist I can only give you my honesty.
Coyle: No access.
Scoggins: You give me the piece and I'll run it

Kaler gave Coyle high marks after hiring and then firing an absolute dumpster fire of an AD in NT. And this is news? This dude is nothing but political spin at every turn.

In the long run, Coyle may prove to be a competent, or even solid AD. But, for some of us, his first big moment in the spotlight was his handling of the sex scandal, boycott, firing of Claeys and hiring of Fleck. My first impression of Coyle is that the man is not a good communicator. In his press conferences, he often gives confusing answers, or has trouble giving a clear statement of his position. Again, he may do a lot of things well. He may be an able administrator, and good with behind-the-scenes stuff. But part of the job of an AD is to be (at least at times) the front man or spokesperson for the athletic department, and on that front, Coyle leaves a lot to be desired.

Chip is right in that Coyle has had to deal with a lot of stuff in his first year. That's why the job carries a big salary.

In the long run, Coyle may prove to be a competent, or even solid AD. But, for some of us, his first big moment in the spotlight was his handling of the sex scandal, boycott, firing of Claeys and hiring of Fleck. My first impression of Coyle is that the man is not a good communicator. In his press conferences, he often gives confusing answers, or has trouble giving a clear statement of his position. Again, he may do a lot of things well. He may be an able administrator, and good with behind-the-scenes stuff. But part of the job of an AD is to be (at least at times) the front man or spokesperson for the athletic department, and on that front, Coyle leaves a lot to be desired.

Chip is right in that Coyle has had to deal with a lot of stuff in his first year. That's why the job carries a big salary.

Spot on. I remember how he couldn't even answer the question about what TC will be paid in a way that made sense. Even after he was asked to clarify. All the news folks needed to run follow-up tweets after the presser to clarify. Lack of communication skills or refusal to give straight answers - not sure which or if it is both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His next big hire will be a new Women's Basketball Coach.

I'm not sure that qualifies as a "big hire." Yes, there was a moment when it looked like Women's hoops could move into the upper echelon, but with Banham and Zauie B leaving, it feels like the program has taken a big step backwards. Whether its Stallings or a new coach, whoever is running that program is going to have to do something big to get people interested again.

At the U of MN, it's all about the big 3 (FB, men's hoops, men's hockey). I would say that Volleyball has moved to the top of the pecking order in the list of 'other' sports. It will be interesting to see what happens with Wrestling in the post-J Robinson era, but as much as I respect the sport, wrestling is always going to be in the second tier, with other successful non-revenue sports like women's hockey and baseball. Now, if softball can win a national title, that program could move up in the pecking order, too.

Top Bottom