'Stupid plan' results in home invasion, robbery arrest of 3 Illinois football players

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
URBANA — Three University of Illinois football players are expected to be formally charged Thursday after they allegedly robbed a man of cash in a residence hall early Wednesday.

Champaign police Lt. Dave Shaffer said the incident appeared to be a “stupid plan” that went awry when the victim recognized the voice of one of the men, ultimately leading to the arrest of all three.

“Three individuals entered an apartment masked and the victim recognized one of them by voice,” Shaffer said. “He pulled his mask off and tried to make light of the situation. One of them produced what we now know to be fake firearm and demanded cash.”

Shaffer said the trio left with an undisclosed amount of money.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-05-10/just-stupid-plan-results-home-invasion-robbery-arrest-3-ui-football-players.ht

I think Lovie is in over his head at the college level

I guess an entirely anonymous home invasion would be risky too... but man why wouldn't you be recognized if they know you...?

Tough blow for Lovie...

Players involved:
Darta Lee (OG) - freshman in 2016 - made 2 starts - first true freshman offensive lineman to start in over 20 seasons for Illini
Zarrian Holcombe (WR) - true freshman in 2016 - appeared in 7 games
Howard Watkins (OL) - early enrollee - 3 star in class of 2017

Tough blow for Lovie...

Players involved:
Darta Lee (OG) - freshman in 2016 - made 2 starts - first true freshman offensive lineman to start in over 20 seasons for Illini
Zarrian Holcombe (WR) - true freshman in 2016 - appeared in 7 games
Howard Watkins (OL) - early enrollee - 3 star in class of 2017

Bummer, but good to have them gone maybe, particularly early on.

I think Lovie will get plenty of time there to work things out.

Reminds me of this classic scene from White Men Can't Jump:

Go Gophers!!

Lovie and Illini football are complete non-entities in this state, especially Chicago. In fact, PJ is kicking Lovie's a$$ from 6 hours away. Keep rowing the boat in the Land of Lincoln, PJ, there's tons of talent here.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lovie and Illini football are complete non-entities in this state, especially Chicago. In fact, PJ is kicking Lovie's a$$ from 6 hours away. Keep rowing the boat in the Land of Lincoln, PJ, there's tons of talent here.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the PJ, his staff and brand outdo ... Illinois. It's an uphill battle out there.

Top Bottom