Gopher recruiting in Illinois

swingman

Reaction score
some really good posts about this in the Noah Shannon thread: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?76063-DT-Noah-Shannon-committed-to-Gophers

Really so important, thought it was worthy of its own thread.

Gophers with verbals now from #5, #11, #22, and #28 kids in Illinois.

Other schools in top 30 ranked kids in IL:

Fitz has #1, #6, #8, #18, #20, #29.

WI #3, #12

IA #19

PSU: #10; Arky #2; VaTech # 4; ND #7; WVU #9; WMU, Toledo, NIU have numbers 24, 27, 30.

IL has none in top 30; has #33

Still on the board: Numbers 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 23, 25, 26.

No MSU, Purdue, IN, NE.

Huge on so many levels. The model for success is keep your own at home and then win some battles in next closest recruiting areas. Next closest to us are WI and IA...tough to compete there. Illinois is the geographic location that has the depth of talent to make it THE recruiting battleground of the Big Ten West. IA and WI have built their programs in large part on success at home and in Illinois. (MSU to a lesser degree). When we do well in Illinois, we help ourselves AND we hurt our enemies.

Long way to signing day, but some very positive signs:

1) Our success in Illinois.
2) Limited success by Iowa in Land of Lincoln.
3) What only can be called a disaster for Lovie in home State.
4) Nothing from Cyclones/Purdue/Indiana. Need them to be in our rear view.
5) Nothing from Mizzou/KU/KSU. Missouri/Kansas two of the other battleground states/teams for us on the recruiting trail. If Mizzou and KSU programs take a step backward, leaves a nice opening for us to win some recruiting battles.
6) Nothing by Nebraska. Riley recruiting California for a bunch of guys. Give me midwestern tough, used to cold weather guys for Big Ten west brawls.
7) Nothing by MSU...if MSU takes a step backwards, nice opportunity for Minnesota to win some battles on some guys not only in IL, but also in MI and Ohio, where MSU especially, but also WI, Iowa, NW have built success.
8) Nothing by Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame. The more those programs recruit successfully on a national level, in a weird way actually better for us in attracting regional talent.
9) Doesn't seem to be just a one year, one guy thing...Fleck has had some success in prior years recruiting IL kids to a MAC school...Warinner has some ties, Callahan has good ties, Burns has some ties, Simon has some ties.

Last year's Illinois top 30 ranked commits:

Iowa (1, 6, 17)
ND (3, 5)
MSU (4,10)
IL (6,8,14, 19, 29, 30)
WI (9)
MN (15, 23, 33) AutmanBell, Schmitz, Estes - all Fleck guys
NW (21,26)
Mizzou (13)
MD (22,24)
Miami (2), Duke (7,12), Arky (11), NIU (23), Yale(18), Army (27) UConn (28)

Top 30 Illinois commits in 2016:

MSU (1, 2, 6, 9, 32)
PSU (3)
OSU (4)
OK (5)
ISU (7) Sean Foster...Limegrover guy who Claeys let go
Ole Miss (8)
NE (10)
Pitt (11)
ND (13)
Stanford (14)
Iowa (15, 17, 18, 25, also 34, 36)
NCSU (16) UNC (19)
NW (22,28)
WI (23, 31)
Mizzou (27)
IL (30)
WMU (29)
NM (12), FAU (21), UNI (24),

Kill, Claeys and staff had some success recruiting Illinois in 2014 with Richardson (was ranked #46 in IL) and Craig James (was ranked #32 in IL); and in 2015 with Oseland #15, Croft #17, Shenault #31, Huff #41, Huff #47.

But it tailed off to Merrick Jackson in 2016 (was ranked #22 in Illini out of high school in 2013)and Foster.

Earlier, not much with just Lynn in 2012 (#30), and Streveler in 2013 (#40). With all of the SIU and NIU time, they needed to be really successful recruiting in IL.

Ok, I don't follow recruiting as closely as some on this board, so I'll ask this: How does Illinois stack up from a national perspective for producing talent? I suspect that the #1 guy from Illinois may not be on the same level as the #1 guy from Texas, or Florida - but how does he compare to, say, the #1 guy from MN or WI?

Ok, I don't follow recruiting as closely as some on this board, so I'll ask this: How does Illinois stack up from a national perspective for producing talent? I suspect that the #1 guy from Illinois may not be on the same level as the #1 guy from Texas, or Florida - but how does he compare to, say, the #1 guy from MN or WI?

It's OK but not one of the "big" states - Texas, Florida, California, Georgia, Ohio and Louisiana.

This is from last year; from 2013-2017 the state produced 37 four- and five-star players, which ranked 14th in the nation, despite the fact that the state has around the third highest number of high school football participants. Minnesota and Wisconsin produced six each over that same time frame.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Great post!
I read that Lovie fired his recruiting coordinator two days after this past national signing day because he wasn't satisfied with a number 40 finish nationally.
I don't feel bad for the Illini, but it's not looking good for Lovie & co.

Great post!
I read that Lovie fired his recruiting coordinator two days after this past national signing day because he wasn't satisfied with a number 40 finish nationally.
I don't feel bad for the Illini, but it's not looking good for Lovie & co.

That's not unusual though, you let the guy bring in the croots for that year, and then give the next guy as much time as you can.

That's not unusual though, you let the guy bring in the croots for that year, and then give the next guy as much time as you can.

Okay that makes sense. Still not a good start for new Illini guy.
Northwestern seems to be on a roll in Illinois too.

I would assume the talent ebbs and flows by class there, and by Gophs needs with those commit spots year to year. Would argue Fleck's Illinois ties are much stronger that Kill and Co., and so it's not surprising that he is leaning on that during this first full year at P5.

Benny Sapp is MN #1 recruit. He is the 9th rated Fleck commit. He would be rated the following in these states according to 247 Recruiting.

14th in Illinois
31st in Ohio
77th in Georgia and California
96th in Texas
121st in Florida

I was really impressed with this post. Thank you soooo much.

Looking at just the #1 guy isn't the way to go about it. Just because Seantrel Henderson was a 5* from here doesn't mean Minnesota is actually a talent rich state.

Illinois obviously benefits from having one of the largest cities in the country in Chicago so eventually the numbers game pays off. But even with that, still a lot of talent in numbers especially for a state north of the mason-dixie

Would argue Fleck's Illinois ties are much stronger that Kill and Co.

I don't know that I would agree with that. Kill and the majority of his staff coached in the state of Illinois for 10 straight years prior to coming to Minnesota, and presumably also recruited the state a fair amount while at Saginaw Valley State in Michigan for 5 years - in other words, 15 years out of 17 coaching in Illinois or a neighboring state.

Fleck grew up in Illinois and played there, but from a coaching capacity, he coached there as a position coach for 3 years and was in Michigan as a head coach for 4.

I don't know that I would agree with that. Kill and the majority of his staff coached in the state of Illinois for 10 straight years prior to coming to Minnesota, and presumably also recruited the state a fair amount while at Saginaw Valley State in Michigan for 5 years - in other words, 15 years out of 17 coaching in Illinois or a neighboring state.

Fleck grew up in Illinois and played there, but from a coaching capacity, he coached there as a position coach for 3 years and was in Michigan as a head coach for 4.

Yep, know the history of both. I think being a home state kid who has made it to the big time goes a long way with those HS coach relationships and ties. Seems he recruited pretty heavy in Ill while at WMU, and now he's at a P5 school. Many perceive Fleck as a better recruiter. There's been articles dedicated to his recruiting focus and prowess. Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Yep, know the history of both. I think being a home state kid who has made it to the big time goes a long way with those HS coach relationships and ties. Seems he recruited pretty heavy in Ill while at WMU, and now he's at a P5 school. Many perceive Fleck as a better recruiter. There's been articles dedicated to his recruiting focus and prowess. Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Apparently you don't. Kill and Co recruited 24 IL kids to Northern Illinois in 3 years, Fleck recruited 16 IL kids to Western Michigan over 4 years. Like dpo said, Kill should have had a much better recruiting base in IL than Fleck due to his long coaching history there.

Benny Sapp is MN #1 recruit. He is the 9th rated Fleck commit. He would be rated the following in these states according to 247 Recruiting.

14th in Illinois
31st in Ohio
77th in Georgia and California
96th in Texas
121st in Florida

I just lost a lot of excitement about Benny Sapp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you don't. Kill and Co recruited 24 IL kids to Northern Illinois in 3 years, Fleck recruited 16 IL kids to Western Michigan over 4 years. Like dpo said, Kill should have had a much better recruiting base in IL than Fleck due to his long coaching history there.

Go with it if it makes you feel good, but PJ is proving this year that he can recruit higher level players from Illinois than Kill ever did.

By your logic we can recruit 24 2-star kids from Fl every year and you could claim we have a much better recruiting base in Fl than Alabama does. It is quality, not just quantity that counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go with it if it makes you feel good, but PJ is proving this year that he can recruit higher level players from Illinois than Kill ever did.

By your logic we can recruit 24 2-star kids from Fl every year and you could claim we have a much better recruiting base in Fl than Alabama does. It is quality, not just quantity that counts.

I agree, and it's not a slight at Fleck at all. I was just once again calling out PMW for being wrong. Kill had 10 years as a head coach to build relationships with HS coaches in Illinois before coming to MN, but Fleck is quickly recruiting more talent to MN than Kill did from that state.

I agree, and it's not a slight at Fleck at all. I was just once again calling out PMW for being wrong. Kill had 10 years as a head coach to build relationships with HS coaches in Illinois before coming to MN, but Fleck is quickly recruiting more talent to MN than Kill did from that state.

Now you see what can happen if someone thinks you slighted PJF - even if you didn't [emoji3].

Everyone knows you're just a Fleck hater!! ;)

Hey, you too. First that crack about needing a big cloning m/c for linemen and now this. Caught red-handed twice GWG!

-cheers

But if Kill maintains his relationships like he did with the U of M, it might explain things.

He has relationships, how many good relationships might be the bigger question.

Kill's IL recruiting:
Kyle McAvoy .8570 (2011)
Quinn Oseland .8553 (2015)
Demry Croft .8532 (2015)
Craig James .8407 (2014)
Antonio Shenault .8285 (2015)
Luke McAvoy .8269 (2011)
Jack Lynn .8263 (2012)
Jacob Huff .8156 (2015)
Steven Richardson .8142 (2014)
Chris Streveler .8117 (2013)
Julian Huff .8035 (2015)
Desmond Gant no rating (2014)
Average ranking over 5 years: .8302 (12 signings)

Fleck's IL recruiting:
Elijah Teague .8681 (2018)
Noah Shannon .8537 (2018)
Chris Autman Bell .8499 (2017)
Tyrik Henderson .8470 (2018)
John Michael Schmitz .8412 (2017)
Reyondous Estes .8341 (2017)
Mariano Sori-Marin .8266 (2018)
Noah Hickcox .8106 (2017)
Average ranking over 5 months: .8414 (4 signings, 4 commitments)

Let's see where the dust settles before we're so sure about Fleck outdoing anyone... I'm excited, but nobody has sent any faxes that mean anything yet.

Whistle!!! Traveling! That was so hard, everyone in the arena saw you lift your pivot foot. Way to try to argue both sides in a desperate attempt to get a dig in on me and ensure you are "right".

You make it way, way too easy to pass up.

Kill's IL recruiting:
Kyle McAvoy .8570 (2011)
Quinn Oseland .8553 (2015)
Demry Croft .8532 (2015)
Craig James .8407 (2014)
Antonio Shenault .8285 (2015)
Luke McAvoy .8269 (2011)
Jack Lynn .8263 (2012)
Jacob Huff .8156 (2015)
Steven Richardson .8142 (2014)
Chris Streveler .8117 (2013)
Julian Huff .8035 (2015)
Desmond Gant no rating (2014)
Average ranking over 5 years: .8302 (12 signings)

Fleck's IL recruiting:
Elijah Teague .8681 (2018)
Noah Shannon .8537 (2018)
Chris Autman Bell .8499 (2017)
Tyrik Henderson .8470 (2018)
John Michael Schmitz .8412 (2017)
Reyondous Estes .8341 (2017)
Mariano Sori-Marin .8266 (2018)
Noah Hickcox .8106 (2017)
Average ranking over 5 months: .8414 (4 signings, 4 commitments)

Kyle McAvoy .8570? Can we now dismiss ratings as being pure guess work.

Now you see what can happen if someone thinks you slighted PJF - even if you didn't [emoji3].

It has nothing to do with slighting PJ. Just simple facts.

You can player the martyr if you like, but you don't need to twist every discussion to justify your cause.

It has nothing to do with slighting PJ. Just simple facts.

You can player the martyr if you like, but you don't need to twist every discussion to justify your cause.

What are you even talking about? I was having fun with the fact that you thought one of the biggest PJF supporters on here was slighting PJF in a post where he clearly wasn't. No twisting necessary - but please, go on.

Top Bottom