CBS: College football coach rankings: Power 5 coaches ranked 65-26 (#35. Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

35. Golden Gophers

P.J. Fleck (NR): Well it certainly looks like we're all rowing the boat here, doesn't it? It's hard to argue against anything Fleck accomplished at Western Michigan, but even if I'm a fan of the hire at Minnesota and believe it could pay off, I personally think this is a little too high.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

Go Gophers!!

Seems silly to rank a new coach like that. They should rank the coaches with a fair amount of or something, and then maybe have "new coach" pool separately.

All things considered, feels right. Don't know why the writer thinks middle of the pack is too high for Fleck.

Thanks for posting the rankings. I'm always curious how the other coaches out of the MAC fare. Babers, Doeren, Campbell, etc.

From the article - the "criteria" or lack thereof for the poll:

Once the question was posed to our five voters, the new question became, "What makes one coach better than the other?" Well, there were no set guidelines for any of us to follow. Whether you wanted to rank coaches based on what they've accomplished already, what you think they could accomplish, or by height, it was your call.
Each of our five voters (Dennis Dodd, Ben Kercheval, Chip Patterson, Barton Simmons and me, Tom Fornelli) were free to rank them based on whatever criteria he felt to be most important.

So, they're ranking coaches, but they're giving the voters no criteria on which to base those rankings. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. This isn't a ranking, it's a beauty contest.

Based on 13 and 1, based on our present recruiting ranking, based on the buzz of Minnesota football improving, based on new facilities, based on a really good staff... I don't think 35 is too high right now. Let's re-do the ranking in December and see how the order changes. PJ is pretty hot right now! Sustaining the momentum is the difficult part. Go Gophers!

From the article - the "criteria" or lack thereof for the poll:

Once the question was posed to our five voters, the new question became, "What makes one coach better than the other?" Well, there were no set guidelines for any of us to follow. Whether you wanted to rank coaches based on what they've accomplished already, what you think they could accomplish, or by height, it was your call.
Each of our five voters (Dennis Dodd, Ben Kercheval, Chip Patterson, Barton Simmons and me, Tom Fornelli) were free to rank them based on whatever criteria he felt to be most important.

So, they're ranking coaches, but they're giving the voters no criteria on which to base those rankings. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. This isn't a ranking, it's a beauty contest.

Really most "too soon" or coach rankings are BS...

Top Bottom