DT Noah Shannon committed to Gophers

I'm hoping we RS Silver (3 to play 2) as we will need upperclassman (size/strength) in 2019 more than 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might sign some 4 stars by then though. If so, you know the recruits just signed are always better than those who have been in the program for a few years.

I'm hoping we RS Silver (3 to play 2) as we will need upperclassman (size/strength) in 2019 more than 2017.

That would be ideal, I agree but you're really banking on making it through this year with 3 or so DT'a and hopefully some remote contributions from true freshmen

That would be ideal, I agree but you're really banking on making it through this year with 3 or so DT'a and hopefully some remote contributions from true freshmen

You are right. Things would need to line up for this to happen - and if we need him to win games now then I know we will play him - it is simply my hope as it appears we will be stronger this year at DT than in 2019. Of course, a good argument could be made to worry about 2019 in 2019.

I have written many times the hardest, most critical position to recruit is defensive tackle. To many years have gone bye with one here one there. Coach Fleck seems to realize were are depleted. And stocking up and restoring the position will need 3 to four each year. Its one step in the correct direction.

With only 85 scholarships, you can't go 4 deep everywhere, especially if you factor in a few for special teams. If you do go four deep at def tackle, you have room for eight scholarships...if we get one more 2018 dt verbal, we are at eight for 2018.

With only 85 scholarships, you can't go 4 deep everywhere, especially if you factor in a few for special teams. If you do go four deep at def tackle, you have room for eight scholarships...if we get one more 2018 dt verbal, we are at eight for 2018.

You're off by two unless you are considering Schirck and Hickox as DTs. This lists them as DEs. Currently the Gophers would only have 5 DTs going into 2018.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/gopher-football-scholarship-grid

I saw this tweet yesterday about Shannon visiting again and kept checking to make sure I had the right guy and that it wasn't an old tweet. And nobody mentioned it here for a day, so I'm still not sure I've got this right.

And I'm having trouble embedding it, to boot. But here it is.

https://twitter.com/MinnesotaScout/status/869975434737438720

Wondering if maybe his mother/parents just want him to take some more time/visits before fully committing? Either way, it's a great sign that he is coming back. P.S. All his Twitter profile pics are still Gopher-related. :)

Wondering if maybe his mother/parents just want him to take some more time/visits before fully committing? Either way, it's a great sign that he is coming back. P.S. All his Twitter profile pics are still Gopher-related. :)

Agreed. I think this is furthering my assumption that Fleck is making these guys de-commit if they want to take other visits. Seems a little hard-line to me - but who knows if I'm even correct? It's almost like he has this rule about not making other visits and telling the player that his spot will now be in jeopardy and the players are simply calling his bluff.

Has his family been here yet? Maybe they wanted to be sure this was the right choice?

Has his family been here yet? Maybe they wanted to be sure this was the right choice?

Anything is possible. I fail to see why he would need to decommit in this scenario tho. They could visit to make sure w/o decommitting. But, who knows?

Anything is possible. I fail to see why he would need to decommit in this scenario tho. They could visit to make sure w/o decommitting. But, who knows?

But that would be a pretty boring tweet.

On the latest 247 podcast, one of the guys said his sources are still pretty confident that Shannon ends up a Gopher...fwiw

Noah Shannon commit to Iowa.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On the latest 247 podcast, one of the guys said his sources are still pretty confident that Shannon ends up a Gopher...fwiw

Really glad I don't pay for this info.

Minnesota to Iowa? Wow...two completely different environments. Well if that is what he wants so be it.

It is too bad we lost him. What hurts is that we lost him to a B1G West rival.

It would have been great to see Noah Shannon and Elijah Teague on the same line.

LOL at the process. How many decommitts have we had, it's it's the first week of July? First "committed" didn't mean committed, now "100% committed" doesn't mean committed. Not even an early signing period will stop this ridiculousness. I bet the recruiting sites love it though.

per Joe:

Shannon is one of four players from the Class of 2018 who have committed to Fleck only to change their minds. Jalen Mayfield, a four-star offensive lineman from Michigan, was committed to Minnesota until he got an offer from his home-state Wolverines. Ultimately, it’s no surprise he picked Michigan.

Minnesota’s other decommitments were both three-star recruits from Alpharetta High School in Georgia – running back Nolan Edmonds and offensive lineman Oyenmwen Uzebu. Edmonds decommitted after visiting Michigan State and getting an offer from the Spartant. Still, he is another one who hasn’t ruled out Minnesota. In fact, he’s still scheduled to attend the Gophers annual summer recruiting barbecue, on July 29.

Back in February, the Gophers landed the top defensive tackle recruit from the state of Illinois, getting a verbal commitment from Chicago Marist’s Elijah Teague. From all accounts, he intends to become a Gopher on signing day (Feb. 7). Teague remains Minnesota’s highest-ranked recruit in the 247Sports Composite, with a 0.8681 rating (three stars).

Fleck has made no secret that he has immediate playing time available at defensive tackle. Steven Richardson, Andrew Stelter and Merrick Jackson are heading into their senior seasons. Gary Moore is a redshirt junior.

Shannon is ranked No. 2 behind Teague on the list of defensive tackles from the state of Illinois. He immediately became Iowa’s highest-ranked commitment (0.8590) in the 247Sports composite. It would have been something to see, with Teague and Shannon playing together for the Gophers as freshmen in 2018. Instead, with Shannon heading to Iowa, the Gophers will have to worry about blocking him each year in battle for Floyd of Rosedale.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...owa-as-noah-shannon-picks-hawkeyes/432679453/

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to let him know my feelings on twitter

How dare he renounce my team for my team's rival

There should not be any hate for this change of mind. Before it is national signing, my guess is we will flip a player or two from other teams. That's the nature of the beast

From Iowa's Black Shart-Soiled Pants fan page, or whatever it's called:

"Shannon’s name may sound familiar as he’s a name that’s been on the Hawkeye radar for some time as a top target on the defensive line. However, Shannon made an unofficial to Minnesota and PJ Fleck back in early May. As he’s known to do, Fleck put on the high pressure pitch and Shannon made his verbal commitment to Minnesota before leaving Minneapolis.

It seems as though those tactics were a bit of a short term gain, long term loss for the Golden Gophers as Shannon decommitted less than three weeks later on May 28th. At that time, he re-opened his commitment, but had a top two of Iowa and Minnesota. After not attending the Hawkeyes’ recent recruiting tailgater, the conventional wisdom was he may be leaning back to Minnesota. Today, he proved the conventional wisdom wrong."

Wether he puts on the pressure or not, I get some enjoyment from the thought of PJ Fleck irritating anyone from Iowa.

"Shannon’s name may sound familiar as he’s a name that’s been on the Hawkeye radar for some time as a top target on the defensive line. However, Shannon made an unofficial to Minnesota and PJ Fleck back in early May. As he’s known to do, Fleck put on the high pressure pitch and Shannon made his verbal commitment to Minnesota before leaving Minneapolis.

It seems as though those tactics were a bit of a short term gain, long term loss for the Golden Gophers as Shannon decommitted less than three weeks later on May 28th. At that time, he re-opened his commitment, but had a top two of Iowa and Minnesota. After not attending the Hawkeyes’ recent recruiting tailgater, the conventional wisdom was he may be leaning back to Minnesota. Today, he proved the conventional wisdom wrong."

Wether he puts on the pressure or not, I get some enjoyment from the thought of PJ Fleck irritating anyone from Iowa.

I get no enjoyment out of the thought that Iowa got a recruit we wanted.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for posting this. I've heard this enough about Peej's recruiting style to the point where I think there's some merit to the accusation. I'm an unbridled supporter of his, but I'm hoping he can tone down the pressure. He doesn't have to turn his sunshine dial down, just needs to create enough separation at decision time for the player to come to us, imo.

Top Bottom