New Redshirt Proposal for NCAA Football: 4 game participation

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-christian-mccaffrey-leonard-fournette-050817

The American Football Coaches Association is forwarding a proposal to the NCAA that would allow players to participate in up to four games of a season without burning their redshirt year. If passed, theoretically, a coach could unleash his touted four-star freshman running back in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

I know that Jerry Kill was an advocate of allowing redshirts to participate in bowl games. Seems like this is potentially gaining traction. Personally, I think 4 games is a lot. Maybe 3 regular season games plus the bowl game, with those that make the championship game allowed an additional exemption (although I'm guessing those in the playoff & championship probably wouldn't be relying on a redshirt).

Seems to have widespread support among the coaches.....

I think this is good idea with college football's increasingly challenging season schedule, number of games, and NFL prospects opting out of bowl games. By the end of the season, some freshman are ready to contribute as reserves, and this would allow them to gain some experience without blowing an entire year of eligibility.

I think there should at least be the possibility of using freshmen for a limited time due to legitimate injuries of players. Given the lack of depth on the O-line right now, a couple of guys go down and we're in trouble. Slotting in freshmen for depth purposes would be a real help. A team could even rotate the freshmen and not burn a redshirt on any of them.

This seems like too aggressive a number of games and eliminates what the RS is supposed to be for, getting your body acclimated to increased size and your brain acclimated to school. The arbitrary 4 games seems ridiculous in my eyes and of course the coaches would be for it.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-christian-mccaffrey-leonard-fournette-050817

The American Football Coaches Association is forwarding a proposal to the NCAA that would allow players to participate in up to four games of a season without burning their redshirt year. If passed, theoretically, a coach could unleash his touted four-star freshman running back in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

I know that Jerry Kill was an advocate of allowing redshirts to participate in bowl games. Seems like this is potentially gaining traction. Personally, I think 4 games is a lot. Maybe 3 regular season games plus the bowl game, with those that make the championship game allowed an additional exemption (although I'm guessing those in the playoff & championship probably wouldn't be relying on a redshirt).

Seems to have widespread support among the coaches.....

:drink:

And:

“I think that would be pretty intriguing to some of the fan bases,” said AFCA executive director Todd Berry, “which might legitimize some of those bowl games and make them more interesting.

Following the AFCA’s board meetings last week in Phoenix, Berry said that while McCaffrey and Fournette made headlines, players shutting it down before a lower-tier bowl game is “not a new thing.” While those particular stars dealt with legitimate health issues last season, others in the past might develop a “magic injury” right before the bowl.

I think there should at least be the possibility of using freshmen for a limited time due to legitimate injuries of players. Given the lack of depth on the O-line right now, a couple of guys go down and we're in trouble. Slotting in freshmen for depth purposes would be a real help. A team could even rotate the freshmen and not burn a redshirt on any of them.

Ah, legit injuries only... like the oft indicated "lower body" injury?
Who will determine the legitimacy?

This seems like too aggressive a number of games and eliminates what the RS is supposed to be for, getting your body acclimated to increased size and your brain acclimated to school. The arbitrary 4 games seems ridiculous in my eyes and of course the coaches would be for it.
The 4 games is not "arbitrary". It is pretty much the same as the limitations on playing time before a player can receive a medical redshirt for a partial season. If a freshman was planned to be used in only four games, it would necessarily be as a reserve role.
However, it's also likely, without some limitations on the total number of freshman allowed to participate in this role, that coaching staffs would figure out ways to abuse the intent of the rule, perhaps rotating freshman in the same role on special teams or playing a lot of freshman in games against overmatched opponents.
There would definitely have to be defined limitations so that freshman who preserve a year of eligibility don't end up replacing walk-ons and scholarship role players in games.

I would also say 4 games is too many. I would say 2 regular season games plus a bowl game. I would also say that it should be limited to the last two games of the season.

Otherwise, you're basically giving those players an extra half-year of eligibility. If this is approved with the 4-game limit, I suspect that 99% of coaches will redshirt every incoming FR.

I would also say 4 games is too many. I would say 2 regular season games plus a bowl game. I would also say that it should be limited to the last two games of the season.

Otherwise, you're basically giving those players an extra half-year of eligibility. If this is approved with the 4-game limit, I suspect that 99% of coaches will redshirt every incoming FR.

4 games is not really half a year, it's a month. How about no more than two consecutive, 4 total. That would serve a more altruistic function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 is too many. I'd say 2 games at most plus one postseason game.(conf title, bowl or CFP). Along with that they couldn't start playing in games until October 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since Coach Kill suggested RS players should be able to play in a Bowl game I've thought that was a good idea (frankly I never thought of it before he said it). I'm not per se opposed to 4 games, but it seems like it's a little excessive. I'd be fine if it was just the Bowl game, but I can see an additional game or two also.

I wonder if this would affect medical redshirts? Obviously anyone wouldn't have to worry about a 5th year (since the injury season would just be their RS year), but would it make the 6th year a slam dunk as well so long as the injury year was less than 4 games? Or maybe if you played in less than 4 total games your RS year and injury year?

Honestly I'd be fine with the latter if it meant that it was a clear cut yes or no and there wasn't a board that seemingly arbitrarily approves and disapproves 6th years.

Just let them play up to 5 years with no exceptions.

Tricky one to figure out as to what is best. It is nice to reward players who stuck with the program all year and allow them to play in a bowl game. Yet I feel bad if someone who helped get the team qualified in the first place might not play due to the fact that after a year of a red shirt guy working out staying on the sidelines, is healthy, can now push that guy out as he has a bit of an edge as to health perhaps or playing ability.

Four games is clearly too much. I'm all over the board as to thoughts on this one. I'm listening to you "guys."

I prefer they keep it as is but allow red shirts to play in the bowl games.

Love this idea for the kid and the school. But 4 is to many I would have to say 2 is probably ideal number could live with 3.

Since when does 4/12 = 0.5? It's at most 1/3 of the season. Not factoring in conference championship games or bowl games or playoff games.

Two plus Bowl.

RS goal is to help develop young players. Four games - you are open to abuse.

I think 4 is too much, but I think there definitely needs to be some more leeway from the current policy. Demry Croft's freshman year is a perfect example; there's no way he should have lost a year of eligibility because he played about 8 minutes of garbage time over halfway through the season.

Agreed. It will become the Red shirt freshman day when teams end their season with no reason to play. If this is approved, it should only be a certain number of plays in 4 games or just 20 plays during the red shirt period.

Just let them play 5 years, hell why not 6 or 7.

Whatever improves the product, big $$ at stake.

Keep it how it is. This is a classic solution without a problem. Any rule you make will only get abused by a few.

Top Bottom