Royce White - in Esquire Magazine

Excellent piece. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really hits how poor sports leagues are in handling mental health issues.

I know this makes me look like a jerk but somehow, I always felt like Royce had an angle- that he was trying to game the system somehow.

Realize that may be unfair but that is how I felt and kind of still feel.

I know this makes me look like a jerk but somehow, I always felt like Royce had an angle- that he was trying to game the system somehow.

I'm with you. I absolutely believe that was the case in college, but it looks like he has had time to do some good with this issue.

Walking away from a guaranteed 3 million isn't gaming the system any way you look at it, naive yes, but gaming no way.

Nobody has better summed up Royce White than the Grantland article quote:

“like a brilliant ninth-grader who just wrote a research paper on mental illness and can’t stop talking about it. He’s arrogant, and perhaps not as wise as he believes himself to be.”

It was definitely a good read, which provided more insight and background to the whole story. I still can't get past his quote regarding his past transgressions.

"We weren't maliciously trying to hurt people. If 'Jackass' did it, everyone else would have a hoot about it. All young people that age have impulses to make each other laugh and do funny ****. It's the context in which people do it. With athletes, and young black males in particular, there's no room for context of what happened."

It seems to show how little he "gets it". I'm happy for him that he seems to be finding his niche up in Canada, but can't help but wish he had been a bigger part of the Gopher family. Oh what could have been.

It was definitely a good read, which provided more insight and background to the whole story. I still can't get past his quote regarding his past transgressions.

"We weren't maliciously trying to hurt people. If 'Jackass' did it, everyone else would have a hoot about it. All young people that age have impulses to make each other laugh and do funny ****. It's the context in which people do it. With athletes, and young black males in particular, there's no room for context of what happened."

It seems to show how little he "gets it". I'm happy for him that he seems to be finding his niche up in Canada, but can't help but wish he had been a bigger part of the Gopher family. Oh what could have been.

Someone should have told RW that real life isn't a TV show.

Top Bottom