Gilbert to Rider

I have argued this to much ridicule for football - but especially for basketball there should be more than 5 stars to rate a player. A 3 star rated player in basketball is basically a recruiting service throwing up their arms and saying "we have no idea, but a major conference team signed them so here we go." They may end up being a star or Gilbert. Even the 247 number rankings are ridiculous - if they were equivalent to football, the Gopher basketball team would be a top tier program. All rankings are somewhat predictive, but subjective - but basketball is way more of a farce than football.

There is much more to it than simply a star rating - there is a numerical value assigned to players as well. Are you seriously not aware of this?

I wouldn't call Rider a bad program. At worst (as those KenPom numbers indicate) the Broncs are a slightly below average Division I program (194 average/351 programs).

I would save the term "bad program" for programs like Alabama A&M, Chicago State, Florida A&M, Longwood, Maine, Presbyterian, etc.

I would expect Gilbert to be a solid contributor there, but not a star by any means. The MAAC is a decent conference; hope it works out for him.

Argument - point = this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure of that but I believe he likely would be a starter in that league. Even a league as lowly as that one likely has a handful of players or more who probably are better than Gilbert. Zach Lofton was one of the top players in that league last year but he likely would have been a much better player than Gilbert had he stayed here as well.

Lofton was also a 21 year old at the beginning of his playing career at Illinois State, and by the time we would have suited up for the Gophers he would have been 23. Gilbert was a normal 19 year freshman.

I wouldn't call Rider a bad program. At worst (as those KenPom numbers indicate) the Broncs are a slightly below average Division I program (194 average/351 programs).

I would save the term "bad program" for programs like Alabama A&M, Chicago State, Florida A&M, Longwood, Maine, Presbyterian, etc.

I would expect Gilbert to be a solid contributor there, but not a star by any means. The MAAC is a decent conference; hope it works out for him.

I would agree, they certainly aren't as bad as those programs you mentioned.

I have argued this to much ridicule for football - but especially for basketball there should be more than 5 stars to rate a player. A 3 star rated player in basketball is basically a recruiting service throwing up their arms and saying "we have no idea, but a major conference team signed them so here we go." They may end up being a star or Gilbert. Even the 247 number rankings are ridiculous - if they were equivalent to football, the Gopher basketball team would be a top tier program. All rankings are somewhat predictive, but subjective - but basketball is way more of a farce than football.

Gilbert was committed to George Mason before asking out of his letter intent. I think that was probably his ceiling as a player. Playing in a good mid major league, or an average team in that league. I certainly think the MAAC is a significant downgrade to what the A-10 is, therefore, I think he'll be a starter in that league.

When you lose significant contributors and don't replace them with anybody of significance you're going to be worse.

Well, that's hard to argue against, but how do YOU know that they haven't replaced these players with anyone significant? Do you have intimate knowledge of the abilities of their recruits? Do you have a crystal ball?

Lofton was also a 21 year old at the beginning of his playing career at Illinois State, and by the time we would have suited up for the Gophers he would have been 23. Gilbert was a normal 19 year freshman.

That is true and I certainly would not argue against the benefits of maturity at that age. I guess Gilbert will be more than one year older when he suits up for Rider and that should help him too.

So, they've never finished close to the bottom 50 in any of those years you listed but you are convinced they will in the upcoming season. And your basis for that is significant graduation losses. Tell me something - did they not have significant graduation losses in any season from 2012-2016?

Arguing with some of you is just too easy because you appear incapable of evaluating the holes in your own arguments.

Are you part of the Rider administration or something?

Are you part of the Rider administration or something?

Nope. I just challenge foolish assertions on principle. The name of the program is irrelevant. I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Well, that's hard to argue against, but how do YOU know that they haven't replaced these players with anyone significant? Do you have intimate knowledge of the abilities of their recruits? Do you have a crystal ball?

They are bringing in low level recruits. It's Rider so it's not like they are pulling in guys that are difference makers at the college level, even for their league.

That is true and I certainly would not argue against the benefits of maturity at that age. I guess Gilbert will be more than one year older when he suits up for Rider and that should help him too.

I agree, which I why I was saying earlier he'll be a starter from day 1 and perhaps their best player.

Top Bottom