MSU: Ben Carter gets 6th year of eligibility

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Michigan State adds another piece to the 2017-18 puzzle. Depth (or talent) won't be a problem in East Lansing next season.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wouldn't this seem like a good sign for Davonte Fitzgerald being able to get a 6th year?

NCAA has definitely become more lenient with these 6th year waiver requests.

MSU now has 6 quality bigs in their front court and thats not even including Bridges who can play PF. Ward, Jarren Jarren Jackson, Carter, Gavin Schilling, Kenny Goins and Xavier Tillman (4 star recruit). I'd take all 6 of those guys over Konate.

Does this mean they won't have a scholarship for Brian Bowen(5 star recruit)? Not that they will probably need him. I think MSU is the clear #1 team in the country going into next season. They went from having no depth in the front court, to having a luxury of it. This is good though for the B1G, a heavy favorite to win the conference with a target on their back. I hope they have to come to the Barn next season.

Does this mean they won't have a scholarship for Brian Bowen(5 star recruit)? Not that they will probably need him. I think MSU is the clear #1 team in the country going into next season. They went from having no depth in the front court, to having a luxury of it. This is good though for the B1G, a heavy favorite to win the conference with a target on their back. I hope they have to come to the Barn next season.

They only have 12 players under scholarship and that is including Kenny Goins who was a walk on his freshman year. That means they have one more open for next year.

They only have 12 players under scholarship and that is including Kenny Goins who was a walk on his freshman year. That means they have one more open for next year.

Thanks for the info. My guess is that he goes somewhere else, just because playing time will be at a premium at Michigan State next year.

Wouldn't this seem like a good sign for Davonte Fitzgerald being able to get a 6th year?

It certainly isn't a bad sign for Fitzgerald if he is interested in a 6th year. I wonder if Carter was considered somewhat of a special situation because he was a grad transfer to Michigan State and then got hurt before ever playing a game. Sort of like if Springs would have gotten hurt in September or October of last year.

Another factor with Carter could be that the masters program he is in (kinesiology) usually takes two years to complete. I'm not saying that was a factor in getting the extra year, I'm just saying it could have been.

With Fitzgerald it could also depend on whether he and Pitino both want him to continue playing for the Gophers. If he already has his degree and doesn't think he needs a masters would he be better off starting his overseas playing career sooner rather than playing another year in college? Or if the two major knee injuries hamper him so much that he just can't contribute to the team on a regular basis is a sixth year even worth it?

It certainly isn't a bad sign for Fitzgerald if he is interested in a 6th year. I wonder if Carter was considered somewhat of a special situation because he was a grad transfer to Michigan State and then got hurt before ever playing a game. Sort of like if Springs would have gotten hurt in September or October of last year.

Another factor with Carter could be that the masters program he is in (kinesiology) usually takes two years to complete. I'm not saying that was a factor in getting the extra year, I'm just saying it could have been.

With Fitzgerald it could also depend on whether he and Pitino both want him to continue playing for the Gophers. If he already has his degree and doesn't think he needs a masters would he be better off starting his overseas playing career sooner rather than playing another year in college? Or if the two major knee injuries hamper him so much that he just can't contribute to the team on a regular basis is a sixth year even worth it?

Good points. I guess they may wait to see how this year (or at least part of it) plays out.

Top Bottom