Shama: Marion Barber II earns his degree from the U on Thursday night

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Marion Barber II, who was the Gophers leading rusher in 1978 with 1,210 yards, will receive his degree in U Studies from the University of Minnesota Thursday night during graduation ceremonies at Mariucci Arena. Marion wanted to earn his degree before son Thomas Barber, who will be a sophomore linebacker for the Gophers next season, graduates from college.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Not easy to come back and get the degree. My hat is off to you Marion!

per Shama:

Marion Barber II, who was the Gophers leading rusher in 1978 with 1,210 yards, will receive his degree in U Studies from the University of Minnesota Thursday night during graduation ceremonies at Mariucci Arena. Marion wanted to earn his degree before son Thomas Barber, who will be a sophomore linebacker for the Gophers next season, graduates from college.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Very good news and congrats to Marion.

Congratulations to Marion II!

Chip Scoggins: Former Gophers football star Barber getting degree at age 57

The idea of returning to college always seemed so complicated, even as his wife, Karen, provided a “gentle push” over the years.

“I always found a reason not to do it,” he said.

Things changed once his middle son, Dom, returned to school after an NFL career and earned his degree in 2015 through the Gopher Graduation Program. The Gophers started that program in 2007, becoming one of the first athletic departments nationally to provide financial aid to former athletes as an incentive to complete degrees.

More than 50 former athletes have returned and graduated, and another two dozen are finishing course work.

Barber needed two years of credits to graduate. He earned all A’s except for two B’s and had perfect attendance. He came to campus two to three times per week for class.

“He’s so proud of the perfect attendance,” said Dom, who works on Gophers coach P.J. Fleck’s staff overseeing alumni relations.

Barber’s youngest son, Thomas, is a sophomore linebacker. Father and son took separate classes in the same building this semester, but they never bumped into each other. The elder Barber, however, did share a few classes with football players.

“His teammates usually give him an update [saying], ‘Man, your dad was singing in class, or your dad had another story to tell today,’ ” Barber said.

Dom Barber organized a meet-and-greet between Fleck and former players after Fleck’s hiring. Barber’s father sat in the front row and wore a collared shirt — just as Fleck requires of his current players. He informed Fleck that he wears a collared shirt every day to class because that’s the rule.

“I got a good kick out of that,” Dom said.

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...barber-jr-getting-degree-at-age-57/421684943/

Go Gophers!!

"Dom Barber organized a meet-and-greet between Fleck and former players after Fleck’s hiring. Barber’s father sat in the front row and wore a collared shirt — just as Fleck requires of his current players. He informed Fleck that he wears a collared shirt every day to class because that’s the rule."

MB2 has always seemed like a great guy. I remember when MB3 was breaking his rushing record (season- I think), he was there but wouldn't go on camera because the day was about his son not him. Most sports parents could learn from that.

Anyone know what his day job is?

Top Bottom