MAC’s Most Interesting Non-Conference Games on the Schedule in 2017 (Buffalo at MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per HustleBelt.com:

Buffalo Bulls @ Minnesota Golden Gophers

On Thursday, August 31st, the Bulls travel to Minnesota to take on the Golden Gophers.

This will be the first game of the year for the MAC, and it’s also a double dipper for me.

Last year was a disappointment, to say the least, for the Bulls. While this game wont necessarily tell us much about the Bulls, it could. On the flip side, I think most of the country is curious how well PJ Fleck is going to do in Minnesota.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/5/7/...schedule-in-2017-usc-trojans-minnesota-golden

Go Gophers!!

Fleck's WMU team beat Buffalo 38-0 last year. At the very least he is familiar with the opponent.

Maybe Mitch just stunk. Obviously the previous regime either did an awful job coaching or recruiting quarterbacks. It's hard to tell if it really is entirely Coach Z's fault or if it was a recruiting failure.

It's kind of like Jedd Fisch. When he left, a lot of people were mocking him as a coach because he couldn't develop Adam Weber. Well, Fisch has gone on to have a pretty nice career.
QB coach for the Seahawks and Jaguars.
OC/QB coach for Miami and UCLA.
QB coach at Michigan.

I'm not defending the QB play, it was dreadful. I'm just not sure if we know that it was a coaching failure and not a recruiting failure. For us, it doesn't really matter, bottom line, our QB play was bad.

Every time I see a reference to Jedd Fisch, I still think of Wren/Walrus referring to him as the Pet Fish.

As far as the Buffalo game, this could be a lot more interesting than your typical non-conf season opener. First game for Fleck. first chance to really see what the new offense looks like. first chance to evaluate any changes in defensive scheme.

Oh, and first game in 3 years with a new starting QB. No more Mitch to kick around. Although I predict a few posters will be taking shots at Mitch during the game out of force of habit.

Top Bottom