All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

I think the Kill era jerseys and helmet combos have been my favorites. I will especially miss the gold helmets we’ve had the last few years. Those were sharp. I mostly like the new combos. I do like the maroon jerseys with the white numbers. It’s a big change but it’s nice to have something different. The way things are they’ll change again soon. The gold chrome is kinda’ cool to me. The white is really nice! Big improvement there. I could probably do without the oars or compass on the helmets myself but they’re not a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see the banana helmets have become the practice helmets for spring via some of the video.

Some good stuff in here. Interesting he mentioned that last years gold and anthracite uniforms were still available. Also confirmed that players names will be on the jerseys.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rgl_eldOxEg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some good stuff in here. Interesting he mentioned that last years gold and anthracite uniforms were still available. Also confirmed that players names will be on the jerseys.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rgl_eldOxEg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank goodness with the names.

I loath having to look up every damn number... particularly early in the season.

Thank goodness with the names.

I loath having to look up every damn number... particularly early in the season.

It’s not for you, the kids like it. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad for us old timers who want constancy and the old traditional unis.

This is about the kids - the young generation of today. This is what they like, the sleek look. Furthermore, they are incorporating new gear & apparel technology to gain an edge in speed and feel albeit some of it maybe psychological.

After Hearing Equipment Kyle Gergely have to say, I am truly pleased. They are more attuned to the heating and cooling technology with apparel combos and under layers based on weather conditions.

The uniforms look a lot better now that they showed them close up.

Too bad for us old timers who want constancy and the old traditional unis.

This is about the kids - the young generation of today. This is what they like, the sleek look. Furthermore, they are incorporating new gear & apparel technology to gain an edge in speed and feel albeit some of it maybe psychological.

After Hearing Equipment Kyle Gergely have to say, I am truly pleased. They are more attuned to the heating and cooling technology with apparel combos and under layers based on weather conditions.

The uniforms look a lot better now that they showed them close up.

Honest question: Can you explain what our "old traditional unis" are? I was born in 1980 and every coach we have had in that time has made changes to the uniforms. I'm just curious from the perspective of the old-timers, if there is a single uniform that represents the tradition you speak of - or if everyone kind of has a different perceived reality of history/tradition based upon their own, unique 'coming of age?'

Honest question: Can you explain what our "old traditional unis" are? I was born in 1980 and every coach we have had in that time has made changes to the uniforms. I'm just curious from the perspective of the old-timers, if there is a single uniform that represents the tradition you speak of - or if everyone kind of has a different perceived reality of history/tradition based upon their own, unique 'coming of age?'

Old timers are upset with our tradition of consistently being inconsistent. :cool:

Traditional=Non-Oregon Duckish pizzazz.

In the last 40 years the uni's, with a few tweaks like piping, side stripes, monochrome (except Wacker), have basically been MMG at home, and MWG for away games.

MBjr.jpg
DT39.jpg
MBIII.jpg
DCobb.jpg

In the glory Bierman days of regular undefeated seasons, the Gophers were all gold, albeit a dull gold. Stoll brought back that look but those uniforms were kind of drab.

Traditional=Non-Oregon Duckish pizzazz.

We really do not have traditional uniforms, at least for the last 50 years. It is what it is. I think if we win, I don't care if they wear green and pink.

traditional unis

Since the 1920s, the Gopher traditional home uniform has been some version of maroon jerseys, gold pants. Bierman went with a gold jersey to match the pants, but dropped it about 1948. From 1954, for several years, Warmath had a maroon jersey with white pants, but he shifted back to gold pants in the late 60s. After that, it has been standard until the last few years when multiple jerseys came into fashion. As an old timer, I would much prefer the maroon/gold as a standard home uniform. Helmets have been gold, white or maroon - they all looked good, but I liked the maroons best. as a varaint, the all-maroon uniforms a few years ago were ominous and stylish.

Anthracite is absolutely horrible, although for sheer ugliness, nothing tops the Maryland uniforms of recent years (and speaking as a grad student there when they had traditional red and white uniforms).

Since the 1920s, the Gopher traditional home uniform has been some version of maroon jerseys, gold pants. Bierman went with a gold jersey to match the pants, but dropped it about 1948. From 1954, for several years, Warmath had a maroon jersey with white pants, but he shifted back to gold pants in the late 60s. After that, it has been standard until the last few years when multiple jerseys came into fashion. As an old timer, I would much prefer the maroon/gold as a standard home uniform. Helmets have been gold, white or maroon - they all looked good, but I liked the maroons best. as a varaint, the all-maroon uniforms a few years ago were ominous and stylish.

Anthracite is absolutely horrible, although for sheer ugliness, nothing tops the Maryland uniforms of recent years (and speaking as a grad student there when they had traditional red and white uniforms).

With the variety you mentioned leading into the Wacker years, I don't think we really had a traditional look.

We don't even get our maroon to match from years ago through the 80-90's- and early 2,000. Our gold (yellow) has varied vastly.

The anthracite is probably our best looking jersey for 2018 provided it's done with anthracite pants and shiny gold helmets.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

These new jerseys are almost as bad at the Wacker era jerseys. At least Wacker didn't put a non school logo on the helmet though.

These new jerseys are almost as bad at the Wacker era jerseys. At least Wacker didn't put a non school logo on the helmet though.

You mean the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon canoe paddle? What a joke!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon canoe paddle? What a joke!
Yes. A coach's mantra should not be symbolized on a school uniform. There are more boat references than gopher references! Who the hell approved that?! I refuse to spend even a single penny on anything football related until that oar is off of the helmet. I'm a Gopher fan, not a rower.

Yes. A coach's mantra should not be symbolized on a school uniform. There are more boat references than gopher references! Who the hell approved that?! I refuse to spend even a single penny on anything football related until that oar is off of the helmet. I'm a Gopher fan, not a rower.

The oar really blocks out the giant M on each side of the helmet.

They aren't that bad. He kept the oldnumber font. I also wish for more gold and less white, but they are fine. I do hope to see gold pants again but they'll show up at some point. Full banana was a big hit.

Just get Floyd and that Axe!

Top Bottom