All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
On today's Sports Huddle, Coach Fleck said we'll see minor tweaks to uniforms in 2017, but Nike is already working on more prominent uniform changes for the start of the 2018 season. The uniforms will pay tribute to our history, but will also be unique and creative. We will not stray from the maroon and gold.

What do Gopher fans want to see out of the new uniforms for the start of 2018?

How many alternate unis will we have? The Ducks have wings will we have big teeth to represent the Gopher? Gosh I hope not. Let's stay classy PJF!

How many alternate unis will we have? The Ducks have wings will we have big teeth to represent the Gopher? Gosh I hope not. Let's stay classy PJF!

How about buck teeth towels for the center and skill positions?

All gold, all day.

OK, maroon trim and numbers.

My preference is classic look. Still think the current ones are light's out good mix of tradition and modern, so I would hope changes would be subtle. Prefer only a few alternative uni's that are throwback type designs. Please...limit the use of piping.

Think both Vikes and Gophs have recently nailed it with great looking uni's.

Would love to see gold (not yellow) helmets. In fact, more gold (not yellow) generally. I doubt whatever unis they come up with will be something I like, but i'm not really the target market.

If you missed the Sports Huddle - here are my notes from that part of the interview:

(Fleck) I Love to be creative. want our players to be bridge between 60's and now. not a lot of changes this year. Next year, (2018) we will have new uniforms, different uniforms, creative uniforms, throwback uniforms. not going to change school colors. wide variety of uniforms in future. this year, mostly the same with a different spin. reflects how I want University branded. best uniforms in country.

So, when he talks about a "wide variety of uniforms," it sounds like he wants to go the Oregon route, and have multiple combinations. Personally, that would not be my choice. I am generally happy with the current maroon and gold combos. If it was up to me, I would like the Gold to be a little more "metallic" gold and a little less of the "yellow" gold. And Gold Helmets all the time. I would like to see the player names on the back of the Gold jerseys.

I am also OK with the anthracite alternate unis. Maybe wear them once a year, in a rivalry game.

Looking at the Helmet Project, WMU used 18 different helmets during Fleck's tenure. Some of the changes are very minor between helmets (such as facemask color or adding/removing a stripe down the middle), but they're changes nonetheless.

They used a white helmet, brown helmet, black helmet, gold helmet, and a shiny gold helmet. They stuck with the regular bronco logo decal on all, but they were different colors depending on the helmet color. Also did special interest helmets (breast cancer awareness, military appreciation, etc).

In my opinion they would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than the current set. Aside from getting rid of the bricks on the numbers and the horrible flywire collars, they are perfect.

Would be kind of cool to have a helmet collection in my study with all the different "color" varieties they may come out with.

In my opinion they would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than the current set. Aside from getting rid of the bricks on the numbers and the horrible flywire collars, they are perfect.

Agreed - but would also add the "Minnesota" in place of the name plate on the Gold tops as something I would change. I get the sentiment, but it still bugs me.

Not looking forward to Nike horror shows. Let's be one of the big boys, like So Cal and Michigan, who retain a classic look and is proud of it.

Because Western Michigan's uniforms looked like Oregons... I'd bet the new uniforms will look a lot like ours right now with a few more combinations and some minor details.

Agreed. Many of the O ducks uniforms are blinding and hideous. I like our more traditional look but understand some of the players like a variety. Hopefully, we can strike a balance without trying to hard to be " different " . On the bright side if the uniform combinations go wild I look forward to all the threads complaining on GH.

Not looking forward to Nike horror shows. Let's be one of the big boys, like So Cal and Michigan, who retain a classic look and is proud of it.

We don't have the tradition to maintain a single uniform over the decades. Very few schools do. Unless we start winning big every single year for a very long time, we are likely always going to have a new uniform design every 5-10 years.

Would love to see gold (not yellow) helmets. In fact, more gold (not yellow) generally. I doubt whatever unis they come up with will be something I like, but i'm not really the target market.

I totally agree. Why does gold have to be yellow. I like Notre Dame's helmets.

Can we get rid of the black sox? I would love to see maroon (or gold) socks up to the knee and then white sox below (like the pros do).

I loved Western Michigan's look and hope we have the oars on the helmets.

Would not be surprised to see oars on the back of the helmets for good plays, effort, team play, etc.

Full Banana.
Also, I'm a way bigger fan of our current gold than the Wacker years gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20170427_113923.jpg
A modernized variation of this would be a great throw back uniform.
1155480_orig.jpg
Or this....

Attachments

• 9966537_orig (1).jpg
    9966537_orig (1).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 88

View attachment 4892
A modernized variation of this would be a great throw back uniform.
View attachment 4893
Or this....

Tried it already. They were ok at very best IMO. Of course, this was at the Dome and cheapens everything.

6769128.jpeg

No black no gray, not much white. Stick to maroon and gold.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1647502.0.jpg

These but with the current Maroon and Gold colors.

Top Bottom