All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

To be clear. I think Fleck was a good hire. I have no issue with Row the Boat. I get the importance of it to Fleck's "culture".

As has been posted, putting it on polos that the players and staff wear, on t-shirts, signs for the students to hold up? Great. I have no problem with it.

I do have a problem with the current culture towards uniforms in general. What Oregon has 7,422 combinations of uniforms and only one of them incorporates school colors. yeah, I don't like that. So, yeah, I have a problem with the uniforms but not for the lazy lame ass reasons you've blanketed anyone who doesn't like the concept of slapping a bunch of bull**** that has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers - regardless who is behind it -- is not for me, so I don't like it.

I never said I'd stop watching if they switch, but I'll be embarrased that we're just one more "me too" mindless automaton that thinks history and tradition have no value and that school colors and logos are merely guidelines to be ignored.

My opinion. Not shared by all, but it was the same before PJ Fleck got here, and it will be the same when he is gone (and GWG, that could be in 40 years when he retires, it'll be ok). Adaptation to the times is one thing, abandoning your identity for anyone is never, ever, ever a good idea. In football uniforms or in life.

I agree 100%. I'm all in on PJ, but the oars are PJ, not the Gophers. And, yes, the Gophers have certainly changed looks over years, but I think they have finally hit on a clean, strong, 'traditional' look that they should stick with (like every 'helmet' school has, and over which their fans would go nuts if they monkeyed with). I thought the oars they put all over WMichigan's unis were tacky and ridiculous, even in the MAC. I hope whatever they have planned is nothing near to that, but more along the lines of the subtle brick pattern on the numbers of the Kill/Claeys era. However, based on PJ's comments, and the eyesores WM rolled out the last few years, it seems doubtful it will be anything so subtle !

Either way, I'd love it if they really started to become a factor on the field, but I admit if they had a bunch of stupid oars all over the uniform, it would temper my enthusiasm. I also know that after 50 years of being a virtual non-factor, many fans probably wouldn't care !! Lol

Those oar uniforms are a JOKE! It may be OK for a small school without any identity. The U is one of the oldest football schools in the country, we have EIGHT National Championships .

We don't do oars on our uniforms!!!!!!!!

We don't put ornaments on our uniforms!!! PJ can use it as a slogan and make posters, shirts whatever, but don't mess with the uniforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those oar uniforms are a JOKE! It may be OK for a small school without any identity. The U is one of the oldest football schools in the country, we have EIGHT National Championships .

We don't put ornaments on our uniforms!!! PJ can use it as a slogan and make posters, shirts whatever, but don't mess with the uniforms.

Don't you mean "oar"naments? ; )

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I fear lots of ribbons and stripes and blobs of color here and there - a Nike nightmare. We have six uniforms now. Stick with a couple of them.

Better uniforms attract better recruits. All three Gopher players said so at media day.

Oars on the uni don't make them better. Oars on the uni are tacky and cheapen the really good look we have now. Oars also have NOTHING to do with the U of M.

The PSU reference was used since they don't do anything different with their unis. 1 road uni. 1 home uni.

Had PJ come in with a slogan of "Prime the Pump", would putting a pump all over uni be ok?

For the record, I want the Gophers to win and get to the BIG title game, Rose Bowl and National Championship playoff. Fully believe PJF can help. Just have no desire to see a classic, great uniform style be cheapened with Non Gopher related stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you don't want Rodney Smith here?

Love Rodney. Never heard before that he chose the Gophers because of their uniforms. I'm guessing he said he liked the uniforms. It would be pretty sad if someone chose a school based on their uniforms.

Anyone who doesn't want oars on our uniforms clearly wants PJF to fail. Get over Claeys already.

Oars on the uni don't make them better. Oars on the uni are tacky and cheapen the really good look we have now. Oars also have NOTHING to do with the U of M.

The PSU reference was used since they don't do anything different with their unis. 1 road uni. 1 home uni.

Had PJ come in with a slogan of "Prime the Pump", would putting a pump all over uni be ok?

For the record, I want the Gophers to win and get to the BIG title game, Rose Bowl and National Championship playoff. Fully believe PJF can help. Just have no desire to see a classic, great uniform style be cheapened with Non Gopher related stuff.

The brick design is pretty tacky

Anyways it's going to happen...

So TCF is a tacky stadium since the brick facade was put there as a look?

??

We went from uniforms to a stadium pretty quick there...

So TCF is a tacky stadium since the brick facade was put there as a look?

Love Rodney. Never heard before that he chose the Gophers because of their uniforms. I'm guessing he said he liked the uniforms. It would be pretty sad if someone chose a school based on their uniforms.

Rodney made a comment to Dave Revsine @ B1G Media Days that he thought uniforms impacted recruiting and something about how he himself liked wearing maroon on his visit. Richardson said his favorite uniform was anthracite one. Not verbatim but main idea.

Buck

Rodney made a comment to Dave Revsine @ B1G Media Days that he thought uniforms impacted recruiting and something about how he himself liked wearing maroon on his visit. Richardson said his favorite uniform was anthracite one. Not verbatim but main idea.

Buck

So Rodney and Steve stated what their favorite unis were and not that they chose MN based on unis? OK.

Rodney may be right that they impact recruiting - but I find that idea sad. And, if true, not sure oars will have the impact hoped for.

Ok, tell me why the brick design is tacky on the uni?
Too noticeable? Not a part of Gopher history? Give me some reasons.

Fleck has said that they didn't have a tradition at WMU so the Row the Boat stuff, the DJ at games and the other "gimmicks" were part of creating the WMU football tradition. I can see that being a reason the oars were plastered on everything at WMU. Minnesota has its own tradition that Fleck is building on. I think that fans will see maybe some 1 off oars on an alternative uniform but I think the every day jerseys most likely won't have them.

I may be mistaken but I thought PJ said at media day that part of the deal with the RTB logo that Minnesota made was that it had to include the Block M and SKIUMAH. That would be a lot to fit on a Jersey including B1G logo, Numbers and Nike logo. I could maybe see a sleeve patch in addition to the numbers on top.

Either way when it comes to this topic and the decision ... my opinion does not matter one iota and I will still be watching on gameday.

I wonder if they'll go with a rainbow jersey as a LGBTQ community outreach.

Get more season ticket holders that way and maybe recruit more progressive minded athletes.

U of M would be the first university to do it (at least for football)... other than Hawaii maybe.

Why is gold in quotation marks? Metallic gold isn't the only shade of gold.

The U in the last few years has worked with Nike to standardize the colors in all the teams' uniforms.

They are trying to stay within the U's official colors as posted on the University Relations website.

I wonder if they'll go with a rainbow jersey as a LGBTQ community outreach.

Get more season ticket holders that way and maybe recruit more progressive minded athletes.

U of M would be the first university to do it (at least for football)... other than Hawaii maybe.

What is the point of this comment?

Wow. Didn't know putting oars on a uniform of a sports team may wreck your life. Sorry to hear that.

Ok, tell me why the brick design is tacky on the uni?
Too noticeable? Not a part of Gopher history? Give me some reasons.
It's gimmicky. It's forcing a design element into something where it isn't necessary and doesn't go with the traditional look of the rest of the uniform.

The U in the last few years has worked with Nike to standardize the colors in all the teams' uniforms.

They are trying to stay within the U's official colors as posted on the University Relations website.

Precisely. The colors are maroon and gold. I'm wondering why he said "gold".

Probably because he believes the University is assigning the name "gold" to a color which is not, in fact, gold.

For instance the color that is listed in the brand guidelines on the University website as "gold" is most commonly called "Sunglow" and the color listed as maroon is also called "Venetian Red" or "Burgundy"

Technically you're right, and pretty much anything yellow can be considered gold. North Dakota St lists their school colors as green and yellow. Do you think there is that big of a difference between their yellow helmets and our gold helmets? I don't.

Overall, I could really care less what they do with the uniforms. Add row the boat if they want to add it. It's pretty much just a new version of Ski U Mah. I do like the simplistic nature of the uniforms we currently have. They are along the lines of Penn St's, and I've always loved their uniforms. There is still room for improvement and alternate uniforms. If it's possible, I think it would be cool to replace what I consider yellow, with a more metallic gold, similar to what they've had in the past.

I would also like a shade of gold that is less yellow and at least somewhat closer to a metallic gold.

As far as oars - a couple of small oars on the shoulders I could live with - wouldn't be my first choice - but the U of MN has invested a lot of money in Fleck and has handed him the reins of the program, so we'll just have to see where it all leads.

I would be very opposed to oars as helmet stickers - always hated helmet stickers - like OSU and their bleepin' buckeye leaves. no helmet stickers.

Top Bottom