All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

Based on his recent wardrobe I'm guessing PJ is pushing hard for a variety of tartan designs- gold, maroon, tops, bottoms. Could even do it on the helmets. Gold jersey with tartan maroon pants would be butch! We're going to do it our way loud and proud.

Time to go back to a real gold! Not the green bay packers yellow that's currently in place.

Minnesotan's don't row boats or canoes or kayaks anymore? I guess I missed when that part of Minnesota's outdoor life disappeared.

Maybe it will work for the Women's Crew team uniforms then. That would make sense.

Or hey, since we'll go with whatever is "popular", let's just change the name to the University of Oars. We haven't won with Minnesota as our school name, so why not? Oars on the uniforms is a bush league move, but hey, it would fit with the quality of the administration, and the program regardless of the coach for decades, so why not just be honest. Maybe we can put the Hormel logo on the back of the uniforms and put 3 Ms on the side of the helmet too.

According to our new culture, that would be Elite.

Maybe it will work for the Women's Crew team uniforms then. That would make sense.

Or hey, since we'll go with whatever is "popular", let's just change the name to the University of Oars. We haven't won with Minnesota as our school name, so why not? Oars on the uniforms is a bush league move, but hey, it would fit with the quality of the administration, and the program regardless of the coach for decades, so why not just be honest. Maybe we can put the Hormel logo on the back of the uniforms and put 3 Ms on the side of the helmet too.

According to our new culture, that would be Elite.

If you end up not liking the new uni's. Don't watch. Pretty simple solution. I'd be more concerned with the product we put on the field rather than what the team wears. Do you think you will actually care if there are Oars on the uniforms and we win the B1G Ten West? I sure as sh!t won't.

If you end up not liking the new uni's. Don't watch. Pretty simple solution. I'd be more concerned with the product we put on the field rather than what the team wears. Do you think you will actually care if there are Oars on the uniforms and we win the B1G Ten West? I sure as sh!t won't.

I agree that winning is the only thing that matters. If we win the Big 10, I'll be happy. If we look like a third rate, bush league, bunch of Ass Hats, we'll still have won the big ten.

I agree that winning is the only thing that matters. If we win the Big 10, I'll be happy. If we look like a third rate, bush league, bunch of Ass Hats, we'll still have won the big ten.

So if we change to red and white you'd be ok as long as we won. ?
Sorry, but I disagree. We are the university of Minnesota golden Gophers. School colors maroon and gold. Mascot goldy.
Let's keep it that way, stay classy and leave all the slogans off the unis!
Slogans are for the locker room, motivational pamphlets, tshirts, etc. They are not for uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to go back to a real gold! Not the green bay packers yellow that's currently in place.
Yes, let's abandon the branding guidelines that have finally been set so that the University has a consistent image it puts forth.

I just can't wait for the salty GH comments when they are finally unveiled!

What if we got an endorsement deal from an oar or paddle manufacture and put their patch on the uniform?

May pay for smething

You are right that winning is what matters, but this is a thread on uniforms so seems fair that folks would discuss uniforms.

Maybe we can get an endorsement deal from Chico's Bail Bonds, and put their logo on the uniforms.

(Name the movie reference for bonus points.)

So if we change to red and white you'd be ok as long as we won. ?
Sorry, but I disagree. We are the university of Minnesota golden Gophers. School colors maroon and gold. Mascot goldy.
Let's keep it that way, stay classy and leave all the slogans off the unis!
Slogans are for the locker room, motivational pamphlets, tshirts, etc. They are not for uniforms.

So you hated Brick by Brick being on the helmets? How about the brick pattern on the numbers?

If you did, than this does not apply to you. But it applies to several others.

Many people who are against this are only against it because they either dislike PJF or they dislike he took the slogan with him from WMU. Which is fine to dislike it for either of those reasons, but if so, just admit it instead of saying it should never happen. My guess is every coach who comes through this program from here on out will have some slogan and they will find some way to incorporate it in the uniform. Hopefully we won't find out for 20+ years, but it'll probably happen.

I agree to an extent that there should be some "givens" that come with Gopher football (maroon and gold, etc). But if they put a couple maroon oars on the gold jerseys or put a pattern of oars on the numbers instead of the bricks I guess I'm not going to stop rooting for them myself.

And frankly even if I think the uniforms are hideous, the more games they win in them the better they'll look. If they had won the B1G back in the mid-90's (or even competed AT ALL) we'd be talking about how great the EKG uniforms were to this day...

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ugliest-uniforms-college-football-history.html/?a=viewall

Ironically, I found the above when trying to find a picture of the EKG uniforms. It features the "ugliest uniforms in college football history" and has the Gopher EKG at number 2 followed by WMU with oars at #6 - could that be a preview of what we have to look forward to?

Just get rid of those god awful white pants and wear the gold uniforms at home.

Personally, I can't wait to see what new takes on uniforms are coming. I'm all for new art & new ideas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What if we got an endorsement deal from an oar or paddle manufacture and put their patch on the uniform?

May pay for smething

That would do it for me. An oar shows up on the uniform, and I will stop going.

So you hated Brick by Brick being on the helmets? How about the brick pattern on the numbers?

Many people who are against this are only against it because they either dislike PJF or they dislike he took the slogan with him from WMU. Which is fine to dislike it for either of those reasons, but if so, just admit it instead of saying it should never happen. My guess is every coach who comes through this program from here on out will have some slogan and they will find some way to incorporate it in the uniform. Hopefully we won't find out for 20+ years, but it'll probably happen.

I agree to an extent that there should be some "givens" that come with Gopher football (maroon and gold, etc). But if they put a couple maroon oars on the gold jerseys or put a pattern of oars on the numbers instead of the bricks I guess I'm not going to stop rooting for them myself.

And frankly even if I think the uniforms are hideous, the more games they win in them the better they'll look. If they had won the B1G back in the mid-90's (or even competed AT ALL) we'd be talking about how great the EKG uniforms were to this day...

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ugliest-uniforms-college-football-history.html/?a=viewall

Ironically, I found the above when trying to find a picture of the EKG uniforms. It features the "ugliest uniforms in college football history" and has the Gopher EKG at number 2 followed by WMU with oars at #6 - could that be a preview of what we have to look forward to?

Read my other posts on this topic. If they are subtle like the bricks on unis and helmet awards, I am ok with it.
H*ll no on oars like WMU had or for oars as stripes the helmet, pants.

I'm sure some of the uniforms will be nice and some will be not as nice.

I think the Gophers current unis/combos are very sharp, and would hate to see....this happen :(:cry:

wmu-footballjpg-842f8e4b967b754d.jpg
no1.jpg

I wonder if Oregon fans were complaining about their non-traditional colors/uniforms on the way to winning Rose Bowls, BCS bowls, conference championships, and making the title game

To be clear. I think Fleck was a good hire. I have no issue with Row the Boat. I get the importance of it to Fleck's "culture".

As has been posted, putting it on polos that the players and staff wear, on t-shirts, signs for the students to hold up? Great. I have no problem with it.

I do have a problem with the current culture towards uniforms in general. What Oregon has 7,422 combinations of uniforms and only one of them incorporates school colors. yeah, I don't like that. So, yeah, I have a problem with the uniforms but not for the lazy lame ass reasons you've blanketed anyone who doesn't like the concept of slapping a bunch of bull**** that has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers - regardless who is behind it -- is not for me, so I don't like it.

I never said I'd stop watching if they switch, but I'll be embarrased that we're just one more "me too" mindless automaton that thinks history and tradition have no value and that school colors and logos are merely guidelines to be ignored.

My opinion. Not shared by all, but it was the same before PJ Fleck got here, and it will be the same when he is gone (and GWG, that could be in 40 years when he retires, it'll be ok). Adaptation to the times is one thing, abandoning your identity for anyone is never, ever, ever a good idea. In football uniforms or in life.

To be clear. I think Fleck was a good hire. I have no issue with Row the Boat. I get the importance of it to Fleck's "culture".

As has been posted, putting it on polos that the players and staff wear, on t-shirts, signs for the students to hold up? Great. I have no problem with it.

I do have a problem with the current culture towards uniforms in general. What Oregon has 7,422 combinations of uniforms and only one of them incorporates school colors. yeah, I don't like that. So, yeah, I have a problem with the uniforms but not for the lazy lame ass reasons you've blanketed anyone who doesn't like the concept of slapping a bunch of bull**** that has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers - regardless who is behind it -- is not for me, so I don't like it.

I never said I'd stop watching if they switch, but I'll be embarrased that we're just one more "me too" mindless automaton that thinks history and tradition have no value and that school colors and logos are merely guidelines to be ignored.

My opinion. Not shared by all, but it was the same before PJ Fleck got here, and it will be the same when he is gone (and GWG, that could be in 40 years when he retires, it'll be ok). Adaptation to the times is one thing, abandoning your identity for anyone is never, ever, ever a good idea. In football uniforms or in life.

What are our school colors? We've had about 10 different shades of maroon and 'gold' over the past 50 years.

I'm not a fan of the big oars criss-crossing the back of the jersey, but if they win the game, I'll be happy.

I'm not a fan of the big oars criss-crossing the back of the jersey, but if they win the game, I'll be happy.

Pretty sure the uniforms have never been the difference between winning and losing.

Better uniforms attract better recruits. All three Gopher players said so at media day.

If thats the case, Penn State would only get low 3 stars at best.
Uniforms can be cool without having hideous oars on them, that have NOTHING to do with the University of M Golden Gophers.

Uniforms can be cool without having hideous oars on them, that have NOTHING to do with the University of M Golden Gophers.

Did I say that was the only factor? Definently not the only factor but definently plays a part.

Oars are cool and beautiful.

1. I love Penn State's Uniforms.
2. I don't want a recruit here that chooses based on uniforms.
3. Unfortunately, oars are coming. PJ will make the uniforms about him, no doubt.

Top Bottom