All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

From a speech I had the opportunity to attend on Monday, coach Fleck mentioned new uniforms would be coming in ten days (which would mean end of next week) and the uniforms would be very different. Take it FWIW, but I expect we'll see the new look unveiled soon.

From a speech I had the opportunity to attend on Monday, coach Fleck mentioned new uniforms would be coming in ten days (which would mean end of next week) and the uniforms would be very different. Take it FWIW, but I expect we'll see the new look unveiled soon.

Ok, so different, but if I recall he also talked to former football players to get input? I guess I take that to mean the mostly solid color jersey/pants/helmets are no longer going to be a thing? More stripes like in the 70's? More designs on the helmets/uniforms (I'd be fine with mostly anything, but I don't really want to see any oars)? I guess we'll find out.

Very different could mean a lot of things. It could mean the we will have legit throwback uniforms, or that there will be more stripes, or that Goldy or the Block M will be more prominent.

I predict they will be clown suits with oars, that the entire country will mock on a weekly basis (including me). And we're going to lose a lot of games in them!

"Very different" is a little unsettling when you consider some of the uniforms that have popped up around the country in recent years. Hope it's not an early Halloween, but something that maybe modernizes traditional colors.

The last few years they've had a fairly consistent "maroon" and "gold". Unlike the Wacker era where the colors changed virtually every year. I hope they keep that fairly consistent (though I'd be OK with some metallic gold, for example). I don't want some of the brown "maroon" jerseys Wacker put out.

Have you ever gone to a restaurant because they changed their logo? Why do they do it then?

It isn't that they make a choice about a school by the uniform. It affects the subconscious impression of the school.

Is the school old and dull or fresh and lit (or whatever means "cool" these days)?

I doubt most students are aware it is even somewhat influencing their opinions. It's just something that's there.

I don't think they are critical to success, but if they make the current players happy, create a positive impression of the school and don't do anything to tarnish the U's reputation then what is the downside?

Though admittedly, everyone knows that kids pick schools based on academics, the number of Fortune 500 companies in the area... :)

i played thru college... hockey..... uniforms are a big deal as time marches on ... it is can can be a big factor as weird as it might seem.

If they do come out with new uniforms in 10 days or so, that will stretch this thread out another 10 pages within a couple weeks or so.

If they do come out with new uniforms in 10 days or so, that will stretch this thread out another 10 pages within a couple weeks or so.

Release a new uniform each week and this thread will take us right up to fall camp starting.

I just hope they preserve the colors as they are, the block M, and the number font. I thought the Kill-era uniforms were perfect.

I think they should do a hockey sweater inspired jersey.

I just hope they preserve the colors as they are, the block M, and the number font. I thought the Kill-era uniforms were perfect.

That leaves room for a lot of change.

Keep the colors, font, and logo the same.

Very open minded.

(you're not going to like the new ones)

How about not changing the uniforms for a year or two and instead take away our seat license fee? That would be about a wash, right? ;););) It can't be cheap getting new helmets and uniforms constantly.

How about not changing the uniforms for a year or two and instead take away our seat license fee? That would be about a wash, right? ;););) It can't be cheap getting new helmets and uniforms constantly.

It's what the kids like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep hearing “the kids like it,” but consistency (and even a vanilla “look”) hasn’t hurt Penn State. They out-recruit us even with the tired old uniforms.

I keep hearing “the kids like it,” but consistency (and even a vanilla “look”) hasn’t hurt Penn State. They out-recruit us even with the tired old uniforms.

Kids like it.... does it get you any kid you might not have before? Probably not.

That leaves room for a lot of change.

Keep the colors, font, and logo the same.

Very open minded.

(you're not going to like the new ones)

It's true, there's a 99% chance I won't like them because there's a 99% chance the 'changes' will involve putting tacky oars all over it a la Western Michigan.

Gag !

There is just one alternative Uni I want.... All black -Everything. Love that look!

So do we have any idea on when we'll see the new uniforms?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's true, there's a 99% chance I won't like them because there's a 99% chance the 'changes' will involve putting tacky oars all over it a la Western Michigan.

Gag !

I’m in the same boat. [emoji51]

Gag !

Yep. That's how I feel too.

Maybe PJ or Mr. BehindTheScenes will make some requests but the last time there was offical talk about the new uniforms they noted the design was being done by the guy who did the last redesign. He wasn't too crazy the last time we got new uniforms.

Then again if it includes full banana goldy helmet.... fine by me.

So do we have any idea on when we'll see the new uniforms?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last Monday Fleck said 10 days, which would mean probably today - but given the relative silence in and around social media, I'm guessing next week at the earliest.

Count me in the camp that doesn't really care about changes to the uniforms. After the initial shock/disgust/enthusiasm I believe most opinions about uniforms transform into a referendum on the memories created during the time of use. I absolutely hate the Brewster era unis, and I'm pretty sure that is mostly tied to the memories of on-field performance. Conversely, I really like the current/Kill era unis and I think that has a lot to do with a period of (relative) success.

They could dress up in Canadian tuxedos, but if they go to the Big10 Championship game I'll probably have some sort of positive Pavlovian response to the look.

The Black uniform look has been overdone.
Anthiriciatecate -sp is okay. Greys are in.

Even I, a big Fleck defender, is not a fan of Oars on the uniforms. If it's subtle, I'm fine with it, but if it's the Wacker-era uniforms with the "M"s replaced with Oars, I don't think they'll be my favorite all time.

Penn State does fine with their uniforms because they have tradition.

Top Bottom