All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

I know everyone loves the classic Block M helmet, but I think it'd be cool to see one of these as the helmet decal for a few games
SP5dkZ.png

3baf420fe8db611ebe2efdc9bb3ae5ec.jpg

I know everyone loves the classic Block M helmet, but I think it'd be cool to see one of these as the helmet decal for a few games
SP5dkZ.png

3baf420fe8db611ebe2efdc9bb3ae5ec.jpg

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 4895

These but with the current Maroon and Gold colors.

Oh hell no. The Wacker years were the most cartoonishly bad uniforms in the history of Gopher sports.

And to those advocating for a change from yellow to gold, you can't just do that for one sport, it would need to be done across every sport because the colors represent the University of Minnesota, not just the football team or the softball team or the hockey team. There needs to be uniformity based on a singular style guide.

Oh hell no. The Wacker years were the most cartoonishly bad uniforms in the history of Gopher sports.

And to those advocating for a change from yellow to gold, you can't just do that for one sport, it would need to be done across every sport because the colors represent the University of Minnesota, not just the football team or the softball team or the hockey team. There needs to be uniformity based on a singular style guide.

Did the basketball/hockey team change during the Wacker years?

Did the basketball/hockey team change during the Wacker years?

No, they didn't, which is precisely my point. The football team under Wacker had an entirely different color scheme than the rest of the university. They are not an entity unto themselves, they need to work within the bounds of the colors representing the entire university.

No, they didn't, which is precisely my point. The football team under Wacker had an entirely different color scheme than the rest of the university. They are not an entity unto themselves, they need to work within the bounds of the colors representing the entire university.

Agree they should, just not that they have to. FTR - I fully agree with your take on the Wacker-era unis.

Tried it already. They were ok at very best IMO. Of course, this was at the Dome and cheapens everything.

6769128.jpeg

Yes but clean up the design on these to modernize the lines, similar to the redesign the local NFL squad has done.

PEOPLE NEED TO EXPLAIN HOW I WILL RECOGNIZE THE GOPHERS ON TV WHEN THEY CHANGE UNIFORMS?!?!?! WHITE PANTS?!?! YELLOW JERSEYS?!?! HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO TELL?!?!?!? GOD SAVES US ALL!!!!! HELP!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Tried it already. They were ok at very best IMO. Of course, this was at the Dome and cheapens everything.

6769128.jpeg

Those are pretty sharp throwbacks despite the dome.

I just hope they don't put too much stuff on them. No swirls and bedazzled junk please.

+1. The connected M's was not good...

Uni's color schemes across sports have at times been different.

Agree. Was the case in the 70's as well.

Uni's color schemes across sports have at times been different.
This is true in the past, but I believe within the last 5-8 years there was an initiative to standardize the style guide. This is when the individual sport Goldy's were replaced by the block M and all the shades of maroon became one.

they were terrible because of the stupid M across the chest. The gold was outstanding. If we want to go with yellow, change the school colors.

they were terrible because of the stupid M across the chest. The gold was outstanding. If we want to go with yellow, change the school colors.

Respectfully disagree on the gold from those unis. Like Spoofin and saintpauljeff, I'm a much bigger fan of the current gold than the metallic, but that's a matter of personal preference. Just to be clear, there are a wide array of definitions of what color "gold" actually is. The official Pantone gold for the U of M is literally named PMS 136 gold, so by definition we are already using gold and wouldn't need to change the school colors.

Metallic gold is not one of our school colors. Not a fan of the look of it either. PLEASE NO metallic gold. Leave that for Notre Dame. Our current maroon and gold are perfect.

Does this look like a guy who will stick with old school Uniforms and minimal changes? Pj is young and knows everything helps in recruiting including the uniforms. For some of you old school guys on here go into a Nike store and see what most 17-21 Males want to buy. That should give you an idea of what he should be going for in the new Unis.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does this look like a guy who will stick with old school Uniforms and minimal changes? Pj is young and knows everything helps in recruiting including the uniforms. For some of you old school guys on here go into a Nike store and see what most 17-21 Males want to buy. That should give you an idea of what he should be going for in the new Unis.

I think you would be surprised at how much undergrad students at the U like the current look of the uniforms.

Respectfully disagree on the gold from those unis. Like Spoofin and saintpauljeff, I'm a much bigger fan of the current gold than the metallic, but that's a matter of personal preference. Just to be clear, there are a wide array of definitions of what color "gold" actually is. The official Pantone gold for the U of M is literally named PMS 136 gold, so by definition we are already using gold and wouldn't need to change the school colors.

I didn't know that, thanks for informing me. Personally, I just want a metallic helmet. Pants and whatnot can still have the PMS. Kind of a two tone gold look. It would be badass IMO.

A majority of us here are not in Coach Fleck's target audience with the uniforms, therefore some of them will leave the Sid Hartman crowd reaching for their heart pills. I anticipate Fleck will rock the boat a little at least but also pay sincere homage to the glory days...

"Sox in a Box" - is that a Dr. Suess book?

I like my Sox in a Box.
I like Bagels and Lox.
I do not like a Fox.

Not a fan of the metallic gold at all. The Norte Dame football helmets are kinda ok, but the hockey helmets looked like a 5yr spray painted them.

I believe the last big uniform thread ended up becoming the longest thread in Gopherhole history (even longer than the "oops wrong topic" thread). With this discussion going to the 2018 season and beyond, this is sure to be a doozy.

I hope there aren't any oars. That is pretty much my only wish regarding these uniforms. That is Fleck's thing. I don't mind it on tshirts for the fans but I would like to keep it off player uniforms. I realize "brick by brick" was a Kill thing but he didn't have that trademarked and I felt it was a match to the university with the tradition of Memorial Stadium, not to mention TCF, playing in a home stadium with brick outer walls. I do really like the current uniforms (as long as they skip the white pants) and I had no problem with the gray ones they wore against Michigan. That gray went well with the maroon trim. I liked it for a single game per year. I am fearful we will get a lot of RTB graphics and BS. I was not a fan of the Brewster era uniforms with the weird pants stripes and three color trimmed jerseys.

Top Bottom