All Things 2018 New Gopher Uniforms Thread!

It could be argued that changing the colors (how many variations of gold have we used) and uniforms (seems like every 5 years) has been the tradition for "over a hundred years"...

......sounds like a 70 year old guy?

Seriously, you are criticizing the opinion of a fair percentage of the fan base who write checks to the athletic department because they don't embrace the simplistic sloganeering of the flavor of the month coach who wants to replace the colors and designs of over a hundred years of tradition with the affected manifestations of his personal mantra of a guy sitting in a boat looking backward! And for CS, they are paddles, not even oars!

You still write checks? How old are you? I kid.

the simplistic sloganeering of the flavor of the month coach who wants to replace the colors and designs of over a hundred years of tradition with the affected manifestations of his personal mantra

Frankly, that's exactly what it is. Not a big fan of it, myself.

BUT ... if it works, if it actually does resonate and motivate the young men ... then fine.

It's what the kids like. I'm in favor of anything PJ wants. #RTB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about mimic the opponents Uni each week (but with Gopher colors) to freak them out.

Metallic helmet with stickers vs OSU, Princeton helmet vs Michigan, motion M against Wisconsin, hardware store M vs Nebraska, plain white with stripe vs PSU, etc.

This would seriously freak people out and piss them off.

......sounds like a 70 year old guy?

Seriously, you are criticizing the opinion of a fair percentage of the fan base who write checks to the athletic department because they don't embrace the simplistic sloganeering of the flavor of the month coach who wants to replace the colors and designs of over a hundred years of tradition with the affected manifestations of his personal mantra of a guy sitting in a boat looking backward! And for CS, they are paddles, not even oars!

I can't remember where he discussed it - probably the PJ Fleck show, I'm paraphrasing but said he would never mess with the school colors for our uniforms. However he did say that they should be fun (he was talking about when they first decided to do the gold Goldy helmets for his birthday). Have you ever heard him say that he was planning on changing the colors? Or did you just want to rant against the 'flavor of the month coach'?

PJ had mentioned a while back that what they are doing "had never been done before" or something to that effect. I take it with a grain of salt. I don't know what you can do that hasn't already been done.
Maybe it had never been done before - at Minnesota.

I don't know what you can do that hasn't already been done.

"This is incredible!! They've got the guards in the backfield! The center's on the right ... and the quarterback isn't even there!"

" ................ they're just standing around, Butz"

Interesting take on CFP teams and traditional uniforms from the inimitable Paul Lukas at UniWatch.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think you can handle it pretty simply. Just tell the recruit "do you want to look flashy, or do you want to win championships and get drafted?"

Easy peasy

Interesting take on CFP teams and traditional uniforms from the inimitable Paul Lukas at UniWatch.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have honestly viewed the alternate uniforms as something more for the current players then something for recruits. I would hope players aren't making their college choice based on the number of uniforms a team uses.

To me personally I prefer the more traditional looks but the kids seem to enjoy the new combos so if the school wants to have some fun with the uniforms why not. The only thing I don't really like is when teams stray totally from team colors or go with the really extreme looks. Having said that of course, I have liked the Anthracite options we have gone with in recent years.

I have honestly viewed the alternate uniforms as something more for the current players then something for recruits. I would hope players aren't making their college choice based on the number of uniforms a team uses.

To me personally I prefer the more traditional looks but the kids seem to enjoy the new combos so if the school wants to have some fun with the uniforms why not. The only thing I don't really like is when teams stray totally from team colors or go with the really extreme looks. Having said that of course, I have liked the Anthracite options we have gone with in recent years.

Anthracite is just maroon on a grayscale printer:cool:

The example people are trying to emulate is a team that wasn't good that became good.
Thus Oregon.

If you were already good, you don't need to change.
Clemson, Bama, Penn St, etc.

It comes to the fact, since 1968, the Gophers have changed the basic uniform about every 3 years. With the exception of most of the Mason years.

The only constant since 1968 has been the "Block M" on the helmet. But even that has changed over the years. Plain, outlined, etc.

I seriously doubt that a single recruit in the entire history of CFB has ever made a decision on what school to go to based even a little bit on uniforms. Sounds more like something fans assume and talk about.

I seriously doubt that a single recruit in the entire history of CFB has ever made a decision on what school to go to based even a little bit on uniforms. Sounds more like something fans assume and talk about.

Have you ever gone to a restaurant because they changed their logo? Why do they do it then?

It isn't that they make a choice about a school by the uniform. It affects the subconscious impression of the school.

Is the school old and dull or fresh and lit (or whatever means "cool" these days)?

I doubt most students are aware it is even somewhat influencing their opinions. It's just something that's there.

I don't think they are critical to success, but if they make the current players happy, create a positive impression of the school and don't do anything to tarnish the U's reputation then what is the downside?

Though admittedly, everyone knows that kids pick schools based on academics, the number of Fortune 500 companies in the area... :)

I would argue that it's never just one thing that makes a recruit decide.
At most a uniform change is a small piece along with the campus, the University, the coach, the stadium, the history, rivalries, etc.

So uniforms are like recruiting rankings. Is that correct?

I would argue that it's never just one thing that makes a recruit decide.
At most a uniform change is a small piece along with the campus, the University, the coach, the stadium, the history, rivalries, etc.

Agree, but probably considerably smaller than the campus, city, academics, stadium, tradition, etc.

I can only think of one situation and that came to light about a year ago or so. Someone had selected Oregon due to the uniforms. Sorry I have no name etc.

I think you can handle it pretty simply. Just tell the recruit "do you want to look flashy, or do you want to win championships and get drafted?"

Easy peasy

And then the recruit says "I want to do both" and you realize that's quite possible.

And then the recruit says "I want to do both" and you realize that's quite possible.

That's why Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Alabama have some of the plainest uniforms in college football?

And SoCal too ... they don't even have names on the back.

Ohio St has shown a bit of flash, but also have reasonably plain uniforms normally. Similarly, Wisconsin.

You know who should really change their uniforms because I don’t like them and if I was a croot I wouldn’t go there? Iowa
Their uniforms are stuck in 1982 and look ugly and dated.

Either way, ugly uniforms or not, I'll still cheer for the team the same. I may not go out and buy the jersey, but it won't affect my fandom otherwise.

I feel like I'm generally ok with most of the designs as long as we don't mess with the colors. Maroon, gold, and some white. That should be it. Not a fan of black or gray jerseys.

But if wearing gray jerseys is what will get us all the big time recruits (it won't) then I'm all for it.

Top Bottom