STrib: Former Minnesota prep stars keeping their NFL dreams alive (Leidner, Pirsig)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Jonah Pirsig, the former Gophers offensive tackle and Blue Earth Area High School star, signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Tennessee Titans. He was a four-year letter winner with the Gophers and earned All-Big Ten academic honors.

Mitch Leidner said he received about seven tryout offers from NFL teams, including the Vikings. The former Gophers quarterback and Lakeville South product, once was projected a first-round draft pick, accepted an invitation from Baltimore and will begin his tryout at this weekend’s minicamp. Leidner completed nearly 57 percent of his passes for 7,287 yards and 36 touchdowns with 32 interceptions during his Gophers career. He also rushed for 33 TDs in four seasons.

http://www.startribune.com/former-minnesota-prep-stars-keep-nfl-dreams-alive/421447653/

Go Gophers!!

Probably both practice squad candidates. Pirsig I never thought had the nasty in him for an OL.
Great kid, but when you look at how highly he was recruited , he ended up with a marginal career.

Hendrick Ekpe signed with the Bears as a UDFA.

I hope all three of them do well, even if it means a position change. ML is a hell of a tough man and athlete.

KSTP reported

per STrib:

Jonah Pirsig, the former Gophers offensive tackle and Blue Earth Area High School star, signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Tennessee Titans. He was a four-year letter winner with the Gophers and earned All-Big Ten academic honors.

Mitch Leidner said he received about seven tryout offers from NFL teams, including the Vikings. The former Gophers quarterback and Lakeville South product, once was projected a first-round draft pick, accepted an invitation from Baltimore and will begin his tryout at this weekend’s minicamp. Leidner completed nearly 57 percent of his passes for 7,287 yards and 36 touchdowns with 32 interceptions during his Gophers career. He also rushed for 33 TDs in four seasons.

http://www.startribune.com/former-minnesota-prep-stars-keep-nfl-dreams-alive/421447653/

Go Gophers!!

I believe KSTP reported that Leidner is getting a tryout at the Jacksonville Jaguars rookie mini camp this weekend. Good spot for him, that is a team that lacks back-ups or a consistent starter. That may be a team he get's opportunity from.

Best to both of them. I believe Pirsig played with a shoulder injury for the better part of two seasons. He is tough, I won't comment on the nasty part because I am not a good judge of oline play.
I don't believe calling a 3 year starter a "marginal career" is an accurate representation. That is a solid career, even if he was not the star some of us hoped he'd be.

Top Bottom