The U had a Profit of $13.2 Million

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How does this compare to other years?

Unfortunately, these are not all the numbers. Let's add in the cost to the U for TCF Stadium and see the real cost. Add in the cost of the new athletic center (which is share by all sports) to see how much money the athletic department lost. Plus we'll be paying two head coaches next year...

So looks good until you see the whole picture.

Unfortunately, these are not all the numbers. Let's add in the cost to the U for TCF Stadium and see the real cost. Add in the cost of the new athletic center (which is share by all sports) to see how much money the athletic department lost. Plus we'll be paying two head coaches next year...

Not sure, but it is possible the debt/bond payments on the stadium are included in the football figures. You wouldn't put the entire value of a long term debt on your yearly income statement, just the payments paid out that year. Accountants feel free to correct me, it has been about a decade since my accounting classes :)

I can't say for sure the stadium isn't in there, but I'd bet money it isn't. Direct Expenses sounds a little too cute to me. Again, I'd like to thank the students and their fees for giving me a place to watch in the sun...

I wonder if those numbers account for debt service on facilities, etc. Total budget was around 105 so obviously there are a number of expenses and revenues not accounted for in that graphic. It all depends how the money is counted.

Football is a huge moneymaker at the power 5 level, not a liability as so many (even here) seem to think. The non-rev programs, women's programs are the expense kings. Why we have non-rev sports coach (even assistants) making more in salary and benefits than academic professors is something only Coyle can answer. It's a mystery to me. My guess is the U wants to field competive teams by retaining good coaches even if they are money-losers on paper, as sports function as a PR arm of the university. Otherwise...it makes no sense at all.

This is from 2014 and only lists base salary so is a bit misleading in terms of compensation but the point remains.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...ty-minnesota-salaries-employees-top-paid.html

Plus this does not include the AD paying for tuition for all the athletes. That is an "indirect expense". Non-resident is $23,888. Times 750 schollies is about $18M. Subtract the number of Minnesota kids and you are at about even.

Plus this does not include the AD paying for tuition for all the athletes. That is an "indirect expense". Non-resident is $23,888. Times 750 schollies is about $18M. Subtract the number of Minnesota kids and you are at about even.

Not all scholarships are full scholarships.

Here is the most up to date high-level information. They don't do a good job of breaking down "other expenses" and "other revenues". It also isn't clear if coaching salaries include the enormous "supplemental income" and "retirement contributions" that oftentimes make up the bulk of the compensation package. Jerry Kill's retirement money was greater than his base salary.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know what "cost pool payments" are - but the 1st time I read it, I thought it said "car pool payments," and I was trying to figure out how you run up $6 million in car pool expenses.

I thought the U generally lost several million in athletics that was subsidized through the general budget. I would be very surprised if this is telling the whole story, but maybe I'm wrong and that has changed. I know up until recently that athletics operated at a loss.

I thought the U generally lost several million in athletics that was subsidized through the general budget. I would be very surprised if this is telling the whole story, but maybe I'm wrong and that has changed. I know up until recently that athletics operated at a loss.

Most years they do operate at a loss but I found an article from 2013 saying they had a profit that year. Not sure about the years after that. The football profit from this year is up almost than 12 million dollars compared to two years ago.

http://startribune.com/gophers-athletics-turn-profit/262155881/

I don't know what "cost pool payments" are - but the 1st time I read it, I thought it said "car pool payments," and I was trying to figure out how you run up $6 million in car pool expenses.

Cost pool payments, I assume, are sometimes called charge backs. In other words, the allocated expenses of centrally operated departments like University Maintenance.

Probably from Pitino not topping off the gas tank when returning cars. :)

Also remember that a lot of parking revenue from sporting events don't go to the athletics department.

Top Bottom