The Linemen center is not going to be built

Sparlimb

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/05/u-likely-to-scrap-linemens-center-from-athletes-village-plans/

By JACE FREDERICK | [email protected] | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: May 5, 2017 at 6:22 pm | UPDATED: May 5, 2017 at 11:53 pm

It looks like there will be no linemen center included in the University of Minnesota’s new Athletes Village.

According to the docket for next Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting, U President Eric Kaler will recommend the Regents affirm the final scope for the village. The final scope is set to include “construction of climate-controlled connections” between facilities, such as corridors and skyways, but exclude the linemen center.

The request says “contingency funds have become available to fully fund” the connections.

The linemen center was meant to be an extension of the new indoor practice facility, which would provide more area to practice. The added field space would have given linemen more room to use their bigger training equipment indoors. Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle previously said former football coach Tracy Claeys “talked about the need for something like that.”
New coach P.J. Fleck apparently doesn’t deem it necessary.

“The leadership of the football program have changed,” the recommendation reads, “and no longer prioritizes a facility for the linemen’s program.”

Doesn't bother me too much, but interesting that the previous staff thought it was very important and the current staff doesn't see it as a deal breaker.

At least we know early on that PJF doesn't view having elite lineman as being very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that was the problem with the OL in the past, no lineman center. If only we would have known.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So no big machine that clones NFL caliber lineman? Now we're never going to have another lineman get drafted

Some degree of cost savings I would think. Probably marginal but why spend if the coach doesn't want it.

We know what TC thought about it. Will Jerry jump in...?

This is the B1G and punishing linemen make the difference between winning programs and MAC schools.

Everyone knows you can't have punishing linemen to make a difference without a linemen center.

At least we know early on that PJF doesn't view having elite lineman as being very important.
Spoofin, for a guy that prides himself on his logic, that is not a logical conclusion. I think your scarcastic brain took over on that conclusion.
Seriously though, the main value of having a dedicated area for a position would be for recruiting. I can't think of any other reason that a dedicated area would be of benefit. If you want good OLs, hire a really good OL coach and have a great strength program. Time will tell whether the Gophers have that.

Probably just doesn't fit his hectic practice style. They all need to be under one roof to keep the flow... flowing.

I don't see a problem with this. If the coach didn't want it and wasn't going to use it then why build it?

Yes we need good lineman and with Warinner we will have a good o-line. Question I have is when do you stop building centers? Lineman Center, Punter Center, Wide Receiver Center, if anything here at the U, how about Defensive Back Center. Claeys was asking for something to build up his o-line but there are no shortcuts in my opinion. Recruit the horses and teach them how to dominate the Big Ten. Ed Warinner will do that.

I think we should have a Center Center.

Spoofin, for a guy that prides himself on his logic, that is not a logical conclusion. I think your scarcastic brain took over on that conclusion.
Seriously though, the main value of having a dedicated area for a position would be for recruiting. I can't think of any other reason that a dedicated area would be of benefit. If you want good OLs, hire a really good OL coach and have a great strength program. Time will tell whether the Gophers have that.

I think it was another attempt at a ****ty joke.

I think it was another attempt at a ****ty joke.

You got me JB. I was going to go with what a class act MC is, but then I'd be stealing your material. A true gem - no doubt.

You got me Spoofin. I was going to go with the Gophers will sign 5 players for the 2017 class., but then I'd be stealing your material. A true gem - no doubt.

Sometimes you see hyperbole and sometimes you don't. Critical thinking & originality are not your strengths, but I'm sure you are good at something. Keep at it - you are a gem. And a joke.

You got me JB. I was going to go with what a class act MC is, but then I'd be stealing your material. A true gem - no doubt.

You got me Spoofin. I was going to go with the Gophers will sign 5 players for the 2017 class., but then I'd be stealing your material. A true gem - no doubt.

Jesus guys, give it a rest. You don't care for each other. Got it. Have your d*ck comparisons in private please.

Yes we need good lineman and with Warinner we will have a good o-line. Question I have is when do you stop building centers? Lineman Center, Punter Center, Wide Receiver Center, if anything here at the U, how about Defensive Back Center. Claeys was asking for something to build up his o-line but there are no shortcuts in my opinion. Recruit the horses and teach them how to dominate the Big Ten. Ed Warinner will do that.

Warinner will certainly help this year- but by all accounts here he's a one and done guy. Long term improvement will need to be provided by his successor.

Sometimes you see hyperbole and sometimes you don't. Critical thinking & originality are not your strengths, but I'm sure you are good at something. Keep at it - you are a gem. And a joke.

Remember when you said Fleck was not wanted by any other schools and countless people proved you wrong and yet you still kept saying it? Was that hyperbole too? I would go back to every idiotic comment you've made the last 5 months but I'd be on GH for well over 24 hours. Everyone will transfer. Program set back back 50 years. The list goes on....

JB and Spoof are the same person. Just two accounts and logging in to each one and fighting to get the board going. It's a great bit really.

JB and Spoof are the same person. Just two accounts and logging in to each one and fighting to get the board going. It's a great bit really.

I believe November 10th was the last time I posted anything he didn't reply on. Your theory would involve way too much work for me to execute.

Remember when you said Fleck was not wanted by any other schools and <b>countless people proved you wrong </b>and yet you still kept saying it? Was that hyperbole too? I would go back to every idiotic comment you've made the last 5 months but I'd be on GH for well over 24 hours. Everyone will transfer. Program set back back 50 years. The list goes on....

I remember not buying the theory that we won some bidding war. I recall claims he didn't get a Purdue offer because he didn't want to go there and claims he didn't get an Oregon offer because he didn't want to move that far - but proof that he was turning offers away so he could take a pay cut to come here? I must have blocked those out of memory since I am such a PJ Hater.

Due to the nature of the position, OL is different than any other when it comes to practice. They usually don't practice everything on a player vs player basis and when doing individual drills, going on air isn't very productive for the most part. They tend to use blocking sleds, chutes and such which take up a good area on a field and aren't easy to move. Having an area outside of the field for those things would have been nice. PJF didn't think it was needed, so we'll have to trust his judgement and Warriners that they can develop OL without it.

Warinner will certainly help this year- but by all accounts here he's a one and done guy. Long term improvement will need to be provided by his successor.

I've seen this posted a few times and I'm wondering why people think this? I've heard some say they think he wants to be a head coach? He's in his mid 50s and has never been a head coach, why would he go that route now?

I looked and can't find any evidence of an indoor lineman facility at Wisconsin or Iowa.

In fact, their indoor facilities are 65 feet or so...no punting. Madness. Iowa even uses a jugs machine for special teams practice. It's amazing they field serviceable teams.

The Vikes are building. 100+ foot facility for those big NFL legs. Ziggy covering that?

Exactly

Due to the nature of the position, OL is different than any other when it comes to practice. They usually don't practice everything on a player vs player basis and when doing individual drills, going on air isn't very productive for the most part. They tend to use blocking sleds, chutes and such which take up a good area on a field and aren't easy to move. Having an area outside of the field for those things would have been nice. PJF didn't think it was needed, so we'll have to trust his judgement and Warriners that they can develop OL without it.

Exactly. A dedicated place for the specialized equipment is a major benefit. Another benefit is being away from the noise, the ability to hear the coaches teaching. The linemen already have their own designated areas outside. I assume those areas will remain?
I get it's a money thing, but very surprised PJ doesn't see a benefit. Not to mention the value of the linemen center in recruiting and in tangible proof to the linemen that they really are the foundation of our success. Not agreeing with PJ's vision on this one. Pick your battles PJ. I believe we need a linemen center way before we need 30,000 more seats.

Not agreeing with PJ's vision on this one. Pick your battles PJ. I believe we need a linemen center way before we need 30,000 more seats.

Does a lineman center bring in revenue to the program?

People are way too limited in looking at the vision for expansion of TCF Bank Stadium. It's about an attempt to bring added revenue into the program. Why is that such a bad thing?

What is a "lineman center"? Is it like extra yards to the practice facility in a different building? Does anyone else in the country have a "lineman center"? Sounds gimmicky like slides in a practice facility.

Top Bottom