StarTrib: Dwyer is the Life of Gophers Softball Party

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sydney-dwyer-is-the-life-of-gophers-softball-s-48-3-party/421376583/

The Gophers got a sense for Sydney Dwyer’s talent — and her uncanny ability to make them laugh — the first time she stepped into the batter’s box.

Early in the 2015 season as a pinch hitter against California-Davis, she smashed a two-run homer. Dwyer was so excited as she started her home run trot, she tripped on first base and fell face first.

“There’s a funny picture of [assistant coach Jessica] Merchant cheering, and I’m just lying on the ground,” Dwyer said. “I still get jokes about it. I would expect nothing other than that to happen for my first at-bat.”

Dwyer is still crushing the ball now as a junior first baseman, with the No. 4 Gophers closing in on their first regular season Big Ten title since 1991. Minnesota (48-3, 19-1 Big Ten) opens the final regular-season weekend at Penn State on Friday with a two-game lead over Michigan.

Dwyer, of Bettendorf, Iowa, leads the Gophers with 69 RBI — five ahead of teammate Kendyl Lindaman and five shy of Shannon Beeler’s program record, set in 1998. Dwyer, who was one RBI behind the Division I leader coming into this week, is batting .395 with nine home runs and a .458 average with runners in scoring position.

Thanks for posting. What a year. That is a lot of RBI's. Tough lineup for a pitcher to get through.

Top Bottom