A few topics that are loosely related to Gopher hoops

EG#9

Reaction score
Not sure what thread these would belong in, but I found them all interesting over the past week or so but didn't feel like any of them on their own would warrant a thread (and maybe combined they don't).

1. Zach Lofton is grad transferring from Texas Southern. Zach will be 25 by the time the next hoops season starts and will be at his 4th D-1 school. I personally have no problem with this as I am all for everyone getting to play as close to 4 years of hoops as possible. That said it got we thinking about Davonte Fitzgerald and the idea that he will likely be denied an additional year of eligibility. Who even knows if Davonte (or the Gophers) would like to continue to play for the Gophers beyond this season, but the kid has had two devastating injuries and has transferred one time. I am sure there are plenty of cases more "unfair" than Davonte's, but it's kind of hard to say "yes" to another year for Zach and "no" to Davonte and feel good about it.

2. Duke got a commitment from PG Jordan Goldwire who chose the Blue Devils over Eastern Kentucky. That would be former Gopher assistant Dan McHale losing a recruiting battle to Coach K. Frank Jackson is testing the NBA waters and Duke is still in the running for Trevon Duval leaving their immediate PG situation in question. The other interesting part of the story is that Duke didn't really oversell the kid: "The said they needed another ball handler who could run the second group". Even Duke has to do some Spring recruiting occasionally now...and not the kind where you are waiting on a 5 star to make a decision.

3. This one requires some connecting the dots, but Steven Enoch ended up transferring to Louisville. He's a former 5 star big from UConn that will sit this coming year and then play 2, essentially taking the Stockman scholarship. I am not sure if the pay sites ever confirmed it, but there was at least some smoke to potential Gopher interest in Enoch.

2. Duke got a commitment from PG Jordan Goldwire who chose the Blue Devils over Eastern Kentucky. That would be former Gopher assistant Dan McHale losing a recruiting battle to Coach K. Frank Jackson is testing the NBA waters and Duke is still in the running for Trevon Duval leaving their immediate PG situation in question. The other interesting part of the story is that Duke didn't really oversell the kid: "The said they needed another ball handler who could run the second group". Even Duke has to do some Spring recruiting occasionally now...and not the kind where you are waiting on a 5 star to make a decision.

I'm guessing the Tre Jones offer is no longer committable. The door is wide open now. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom