Post-spring position check: Top Big Ten running back units - See more at: http://btn.

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
Post-spring position check: Top Big Ten running back units

2. Minnesota. The Golden Gophers are in good shape for a team that ran for 2,686 yards and 34 TDs in 2016. P.J. Fleck inherited two good ones in juniors Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks. Smith has rushed 397 times for 1,828 yards in 25 games, which ranks tied for 19th all-time in school history. Brooks has rushed 257 times for 1,359 yards in 22 games, which ranks 31st all-time in program history. The spot is bolstered by senior and former JC Kobe McCray along with sophomore Jonathan Femi-Cole, a power back, and sophomore Zachariah Knox, a Minnesota State transfer.

http://btn.com/2017/05/03/post-spring-position-check-big-ten-running-backs/#sthash.UBX6uOdg.dpuf

If the O-line can get healthy and effective our running backs may have as good of year as any in a long time. Smith and Brooks are nasty!

I noted with interest that Wisconsin isn't listed in the top seven.

Yeah I noticed that too which is surprising since they just seem to reload every year when it comes to the run game.

All that and yet Mike Weber from OSU was 1st Team All-B1G Ten over Rodney Smith. You know, because OSU.

Five things to note beyond the highly regarded stable of Smith/Brooks/McCrary/FemiCole/Ibrahim/London:

1. Warriner/Callahan rank with any as top oline coaches.

2. We return all TEs from last year, hopefully get Lingen back healthy, take redshirt off Kieft, add Paulson, Umlor, Bursch. Improved TE unit should help running backs (blocking and pass threat).

3. We think Ciarrocca scheme will keep opposing defense from stacking the box as much. Could be huge for RBs. Ciarrocca has had proven success as a QB whisperer. Improved scheme and QB play would be huge for complimenting running backs. If Croft gets the job, is he a better running threat than Leidner?

4. We lose Woli but return all other WRs, take redshirts off Howard, Hmielewski, Mark Williams, and add VanDyne, AutmanBell, Douglas. Simon and Fleck are proven high end wr coaches. Improved WR game should really help Smith and Brooks and company.

5. Return 4 guys with starting experience on the oline, Greene, Weyler, Calhoun, Wright all tough, big, mature 4th and 5th year guys. Return 3 guys with playing experience on the oline in Connelly, Dovich, Oseland; all third year guys with some maturity and strength evident now. Take redshirts off 2 good prospects in Olson and Schlueter. Bring in a juco, at least three good frosh recruits, and some walk-on guys as well.

The running game should take a nice step forward in 2017.

I'll take our 2 backs over Penn State's top 2 backs. Is Barkley even that much better than Smith or Brooks? I assume he had a better O-line to run behind.

Someone with a math degree might want to look into this: "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 232 seconds."

I'll take our 2 backs over Penn State's top 2 backs. Is Barkley even that much better than Smith or Brooks? I assume he had a better O-line to run behind.

Someone with a math degree might want to look into this: "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 232 seconds."

I thought I was banned when that first popped up.

I think the Russians are hacking GH.

Don't fret. Plenty of talent ready to shine in Madison.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 232 seconds."
Been seeing this for several months at least when I try back to back posts.

Top Bottom