Gophers were Top 6 APR last year

Ding, ding, ding. The culture thing was beyond stupid, and the previous staff was right to be pi$$ed about it. What they did with the program was incredible. I don't know Mark Coyle personally, but he strikes me as either incredibly inarticulate or incredibly spineless. Again, I hate to attack him when we're not acquainted, but I couldn't shake the feeling he was trying to assign some sort of blame where very little fell. In my opinion, a man with backbone stands at the podium and says it like it is: "Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys, and the rest of the staff made incredible strides with this program. The academic success is unprecedented -- near the top of the nation. Athletic success has improved dramatically. Unfortunately, ticket sales, recruiting, and general excitement around the program have not followed. Our football team is committed to winning a national championship and I've felt for months that it wasn't going to happen under the current regime. While the program may have maintained current levels of success, I could not foresee the next step being taken. As such, I made the difficult decision to change course and bring in a new leader."

Well said.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the old AD "vote of confidence" thing. They happen only because rumors exist that the coach will be fired. These rumors negatively impact recruiting, so they must be addressed. The AD's only choices are to 1) Fire the coach or 2) Publicly back the coach.

Its plausible that Coyle was 60/40 on keeping Claeys on November 29. So he chose to the "vote of confidence" route. Then the suspensions/boycott happened and swung the scales in his mind that Claeys needed to go. That doesn't make any of the other reasons invalid or made up, only that they weren't enough to fire him on their own.

I agree with the bolded part, and even Coyle's statement dripped with, "I'd rather not say this." However, the vote of confidence that is dreaded is the one that comes in the middle of the season; after the season finally falls off a cliff, the coach is fired. On the other hand, it's pretty rare to give the vote of confidence during the same week that most other failed coaches are getting fired, then fire him at a pretty inopportune time.

As for the second paragraph, I doubt it. But if so, Coyle was simply too inept to explain it that way. That leaves him open to take bullets from people like me who believe the culture, including academics, were not negative.

Coyle had every right to do what he did. He just did it in a remarkably clumsy and ham-handed fashion.

That's what worries me about Coyle. Firing a FB coach (especially after a 9-win season) is one of the biggest decisions an AD will ever make in his career. Coyle may have made the "right" decision for the long-term growth of the program. But he handled it so poorly that he alienated a significant % of Gopher Fans. This just makes me worried about how Coyle might handle future problems and/or decisions. I continue to be frankly shocked at how poorly the man communicates.

Coyle had every right to do what he did. He just did it in a remarkably clumsy and ham-handed fashion.

That's what worries me about Coyle. Firing a FB coach (especially after a 9-win season) is one of the biggest decisions an AD will ever make in his career. Coyle may have made the "right" decision for the long-term growth of the program. But he handled it so poorly that he alienated a significant % of Gopher Fans. This just makes me worried about how Coyle might handle future problems and/or decisions. I continue to be frankly shocked at how poorly the man communicates.

Agree. Changing coaches was his right, but the execution of it was poor, at best. At least he handled the recent scandal bett...... oh, wait. IMO, MC thinks he is smarter than everyone and that he can deliver spin and half-truths and nonsense and that we be too dumb to notice. Poor communication skills is not a good quality for an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, you mean like 10 GH posters? I'm sure the stadium will be half empty next year because of how Claeys was fired...:rolleyes:

That the program was struggling in recruiting and ticket sales? Are you that "dense".

As has been made very clear on here, ticket sale decline was directly correlated to the price increases implemented the past few years.
Recruiting struggles was a stretch, unless you take the rankings prior to signing day as a sign of something important and if so, then PJF should already be getting a raise/extension.

Lol, you mean like 10 GH posters? I'm sure the stadium will be half empty next year because of how Claeys was fired...:rolleyes:

The other fan sites are much different than GH in regard to Coyle, Claeys, and Fleck. Probably has to do with age demographic.

As has been made very clear on here, ticket sale decline was directly correlated to the price increases implemented the past few years.
Recruiting struggles was a stretch, unless you take the rankings prior to signing day as a sign of something important and if so, then PJF should already be getting a raise/extension.

There was no excitement around the program hence them struggling to get fans to attend games in the midst of the best season in Gopher history.

Yeah dude no problems with recruiting, Claeys was on his way to a stellar dead last in the Big Ten and I'm sure he had some great recruits lined up.

There was no excitement around the program hence them struggling to get fans to attend games in the midst of the best season in Gopher history.

Yeah dude no problems with recruiting, Claeys was on his way to a stellar dead last in the Big Ten and I'm sure he had some great recruits lined up.

Just like we were on our way to beating Wisconsin at halftime. Game wasn't over, just like the recruiting season wasn't. You nor I can say what his recruiting class was going to end up being. Using a recruiting ranking as a reason to fire a coach is as ridiculous as it would be to offer an extension/raise for the same reason.

LOL if you think the majority of people are impressed with the way MC caused a boycott, handled the scandal, communicated BS on the Claeys firing, and how he communicates in general. Also, he did alienate a lot of Gopher Fans - as stated already NOT because of firing TC, but because of the items listed above. Guaranteed that most wouldn't have had an issue with him just saying he wanted to go a different direction, but he instead started trying to (needlessly) justify that decision with nonsense.

And how many are not buying or renewing tickets based solely on that and not on cost? 1 or 2?

LOL if you think the majority of people are impressed with the way MC caused a boycott, handled the scandal, communicated BS on the Claeys firing, and how he communicates in general. Also, he did alienate a lot of Gopher Fans - as stated already NOT because of firing TC, but because of the items listed above. Guaranteed that most wouldn't have had an issue with him just saying he wanted to go a different direction, but he instead started trying to (needlessly) justify that decision with nonsense.

And how many are not buying or renewing tickets based solely on that and not on cost? 1 or 2?

Wait a minute. According to you the boycott was successful so shouldn't MC get credit for that? Clue-The outrage against Coyle is no where as deep or as wide as you and a handful keep thinking.

If even. Most likely zero. If that was the point being made, I missed it.

If even. Most likely zero. If that was the point being made, I missed it. k

That was the point I was making. How 'alienated' can you really be if you're still supporting the program and buying tickets?

That was the point I was making. How 'alienated' can you really be if you're still supporting the program and buying tickets?

Let's say I love and support the U despite of MC. The U is much bigger than him. I also suspect he will be just fine even tho I don't like or respect him.

Wait a minute. According to you the boycott was successful so shouldn't MC get credit for that? Clue-The outrage against Coyle is no where as deep or as wide as you and a handful keep thinking.

Well, I do think the Boycott did a pretty good job of raising awareness locally and nationally of the injustice the EOAA caused. I would even say that awareness is a big part of what is prompting the current investigation into it. If MC wants credit for that, sure. FTR, the idea that he caused it wasn't mine - that would be the players take.

Possible the outrage isn't as deep or as wide as I think - although it certainly should be. People will often see what they want and not what is right there in front of them. I can't help or change that.

I am not saying, and I have never said that Claeys was perfect. He had flaws. All human beings have flaws. I have flaws. You have flaws. But, taking everything into account, I liked Claeys as a coach. he and his staff had a recruiting philosophy that had resulted in winning seasons. Last year, it resulted in 9 wins and a bowl game victory.

Here's the thing - if you're going to blame Claeys for the problems (real or perceived) in the program, then you also have to give him credit for the successes. That's what bugs me about (some of) the Fleck supporters on this board. They want to blame all the problems on Claeys, but won't admit that he did some things well, too. All I'm asking for is a little balance. If Fleck does well, I will admit that. And if Fleck has problems, I will point that out, too. Fair and Balanced.

I am not saying, and I have never said that Claeys was perfect. He had flaws. All human beings have flaws. I have flaws. You have flaws. But, taking everything into account, I liked Claeys as a coach. he and his staff had a recruiting philosophy that had resulted in winning seasons. Last year, it resulted in 9 wins and a bowl game victory.

Here's the thing - if you're going to blame Claeys for the problems (real or perceived) in the program, then you also have to give him credit for the successes. That's what bugs me about (some of) the Fleck supporters on this board. They want to blame all the problems on Claeys, but won't admit that he did some things well, too. All I'm asking for is a little balance. If Fleck does well, I will admit that. And if Fleck has problems, I will point that out, too. Fair and Balanced.

Just trying to combat the anti-MC and pro-TC that seems pretty prevalent around this here GH. I'll admit Coyle didn't handle the situation ideally but when a part of the university he has no control over makes a decision to suspend 10 players I'm not sure what you expect him to do. You guys can complain all you want about communication but there's privacy laws. Also what Claeys did with that tweet and behind the scenes is basically insubordination and there was no way he was going to continue as coach here. Claeys did some good things and I'll admit that but posters who pretend last year was some great success before the infamous boycott and bowl game victory really bother me. If Fleck doesn't succeed he will be fired too.

As the AD, Coyle is far enough away from the sports that disgust with him over the handling of the EOAA investigation and Claeys firing, hasn't affected the sports. I do think that in many peoples minds, he has two strikes and no wiggle room for the short term, he had better hope that nothing major happens for a year or two.

Just like we were on our way to beating Wisconsin at halftime. Game wasn't over, just like the recruiting season wasn't. You nor I can say what his recruiting class was going to end up being. Using a recruiting ranking as a reason to fire a coach is as ridiculous as it would be to offer an extension/raise for the same reason.

What if there was problems with recruiting, fan excitement, ticket sales, and a sex scandal?

Top Bottom