247: Ranking the projected starting QBs in Big Ten

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score
#10. Demry Croft:

Croft, a sophomore, was locked in a battle with fifth-year senior Conor Rhoda throughout the spring. He was the backup quarterback in 2015 before taking a medical redshirt last year. New Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is a fan of Croft's athleticism in the pocket, and he completed 8 of 13 passes for 108 yards in the team's spring game.
http://247sports.com/Gallery/Ranking-the-projected-starting-QBs-in-Big-Ten-52597708

Thoughts?

Really anything below 8 on that list you could just leave unrated.

You could have given me a million guesses, and I would not have come up with the name of the projected Michigan State Starter.

Overall - not a lot of sure things. Lots of question marks. There might - and I say might - be three teams in the B1G that can feel good about their starting QB's. (and I have no idea what those teams have for backups.)

That is not to say that some of these projected starters might turn out to be diamonds in the rough - but at this point of the year, it's hard to say how they're going to handle being the starter. And, that does not begin to factor in things like strength of offensive line, running game, receivers, etc.

I was surprised to see the guy from Purdue threw for over 3,300 yards last year.

Is there a single guy on there that we play that you fear is going to single handedly beat you with his arm or legs?

Thorson has some experience and numbers, but he looked like crap against us putting up 12 points and getting sacked twice by Richardson, twice by Cashman, once by Coughlin. Patriots signed his all big wr, Carr.

I am guessing Speight looks less impressive without 3rd round wr pick Darboh, 4th round WR pick Chesson, 5th round TE pick Butt...plus two undrafted free agent olinemen, and an undrafted free agent rb.

Hornibrook will be solid, but I don't think he's a guy who is going to sit in pocket and shred you. Not going to beat you with his legs.

Stanley didn't exactly lock down the job with his Spring performance from what I read out of Iowa.

The Sparty guy isn't going to pre-season all big...EOAA may cost MSU some top players yet.

The Nebraska job is still up for grabs as is Maryland. No apparent savior in either Spring camp.

Illinois is a disaster. Brohm may install a good passing scheme in Purdue, but he has a ton of holes on both sides of the ball. Blough threw 21 picks with those yards. Took 28 sacks.

The MTSU QB and wr might be most formidable passing combo on schedule.

Top Bottom