STrib: Richard Pitino and U agree to new contract; announcement expected later Wed

I would quibble with the "not afraid to get rid of dead weight" part. The overmatched women's basketball coach is still here.

I would quibble with the "not afraid to get rid of dead weight" part. The overmatched women's basketball coach is still here.

She's on her last year. They won't be any better next year and she'll be gone.

per the Post Bulletin:

FELDY: Norwood Teague may be gone, but apparently one-and-done postseason runs still warrant contract extensions at the U, Phersy. Richard Pitino did a nice job of turning around a disastrous 2015-16 season and getting the Gophers men's hoops team into the NCAA tournament in March. He was already under contract through 2021, though, when word broke Wednesday that he was being given yet another extension. Is that where we are? A NCAA tourney berth warrants an extension? Or are the Gophs headed in that much of a positive direction that Pitino had to be locked up long-term?

PHERSY: It's the Minnesota way, Feldy. But in this case, I'm fine with it. Recruiting is tough enough as it is, and sometimes a contract extension can ease a little of that pressure. Kids aren't going to sign on the dotted line with a coach they trust if they're unsure he'll be around in a few years. And, regardless of the early NCAA exit, the program took a massive step forward this season. Sure, it would have been OK to wait a year, but in this case, it's not the end of the world to lock Pitino into a longer deal. Now, let's hope there's another big step forward next season...

FELDY: Pitino's a likable guy who led an impressive 16-game turnaround last season. It'd be nice to see the Gophers improve again this season before dropping more money in his lap, but it's part of the game these days. He has, by all accounts, built an impressive recruiting class and last season's success carried an excitement with it that Gophers' hoops hasn't had in some time. There's every reason to expect this team to be in the Top 25 throughout next season, Phersy. But does giving Pitino another extension, 21 months after a previous extension, set a precedent that Mark Coyle will have to follow?

PHERSY: Coyle is an intelligent guy, and I believe he knows what he's doing ... despite what you'll read elsewhere. Coyle knows what he wants, and he's not afraid to go out and get it. And he knows what he doesn't want, and he's not afraid to get rid of dead weight. You're right, Feldy, it's part of the game, and I'll trust Coyle to make these decisions. Feldy, you mentioned the solid recruiting class coming in for next season. There are a few guys who can contribute immediately. But, boy, would it be a monumental step for Gophers basketball if Pitino could keep Matthew Hurt and Tre Jones in the Land of 10,000 Lakes in a couple years.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_a4818639-f811-550d-aba7-2f7809699d24.html

Go Gophers!!

These guys are stupid. I don't know the details of the buyouts or how much he will make but I have 2 points

1) if he does make a step next year or even maintain what he did the last year Pitino would be much more expensive next year and people will say why didn't you lock him up last year?

2) And to that point adding only 1 more year to his contract does not change the dynamic going forward one bit. Going another year without changing anything gives a successful coach a reason to leave and a program an option to fire a bad coach. All this extension did was give Pitino one more "Prove it" year without changing the contractual dynamic from last off-season.

Pitino deserve's every dollar of it. Although it's not a huge achievement, he will go down as one of the best basketball coaches in the U's history.

A bit early to be building a statue, but I have been a longtime backer of Pitino. I think he will eventually be the best BB coach the U has ever had, but it will take a few more years before he can claim that title.

I think the extension was a good move that helps with recruiting and, as others have said, gives Coyle's stamp of approval to Pitino.

Pitino is a young coach who went through a serious learning curve, but he is a fast study and looks to have what it takes to be a great coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pump the brakes. He might, but there is quite a ways to go before he is in that group. Winning a Big Ten title, at least getting us to a Sweet 16 would be a start. Not diminishing the NIT title and the great season last year but the U of M has done better when we are talking history.

Since so many unforseens things can happen that could derail him, I guess I agree with you on that end. But his talent as a coach is obvious. The longer he is here the better this program will be

I'd say why would he want to move? RP has a brand new facility, had a sixteen game turn around the biggest in Gophers history. The wife and kids love it here. He has a chance to put his own stamp on a program that is on the rise.

Did anyone see the contract details? Like the year by year salary, buyout, etc?

Salary and buyout remain the same. Two changes were the extra year added on to the deal and $1.7 million in contract fulfillment bonus' added as well.

"Pitino will receive his first “contract fulfillment incentive” bonus of $250,000 on Aug. 1. The coach now also will receive $250,000 in April 2020, $550,000 in April 2021 and $650,000 in April 2022, if he remains with the program. His previous contract included a $450,000 retention bonus for April 2019."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...in-new-gophers-basketball-contract/421470083/

Salary and buyout remain the same. Two changes were the extra year added on to the deal and $1.7 million in contract fulfillment bonus' added as well.

"Pitino will receive his first “contract fulfillment incentive” bonus of $250,000 on Aug. 1. The coach now also will receive $250,000 in April 2020, $550,000 in April 2021 and $650,000 in April 2022, if he remains with the program. His previous contract included a $450,000 retention bonus for April 2019."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...in-new-gophers-basketball-contract/421470083/

He ought to be happy with that. He's making damn near as much as I make!

Top Bottom