STrib: Richard Pitino and U agree to new contract; announcement expected later Wed

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The University of Minnesota is expected to announce a contract extension Wednesday for Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino, sources told the Star Tribune.

Details are scheduled to be released with the official announcement Wednesday afternoon.

Pitino was already under contract through the 2020-21 season, and this new deal comes less than two months after the 34-year-old coach finished what was more than just a bounce back year in his fourth season.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...minnesota-expected-later-wednesday/421177833/

Go Gophers!!

Kudos to Coyle for being proactive.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Barreiro will have a field day with this later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official release from the U:

University, Pitino To Extend Contract Through 2022
The contract agreement, announced on Wednesday, places head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino under contract with Minnesota through the 2021-22 season

The University of Minnesota today announced that Head Men’s Basketball Coach Richard Pitino has agreed to a contract extension that adds one year to his existing agreement, placing him under contract with the University through the 2021-22 season. The extension will become official pending approval from the Board of Regents at its May meetings.

“Since I came back to Minnesota as the AD last May, I have been impressed with Coach Pitino and his management of our men's basketball program,” said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. “I've seen accountability, commitment and focus from every student-athlete and member of the men's basketball staff, led by Coach Pitino. The team's success on the court this year generated a lot of excitement on campus and around the state. I'm looking forward to much more of that with Coach Pitino leading our program.”

“I am extremely grateful to be the head coach at such a prestigious university. My family and I love living in the Twin Cities and look forward to continuing to build a strong men's basketball program on and off the court,” said Pitino. “I have loved getting to know and working with Mark Coyle this past year. Mark and President Kaler's commitment to athletics is second to none. The future of Gopher basketball is very bright and I am excited to be a part of it.”

This contract extension comes after Pitino oversaw the greatest single-season turnaround of any Division I men’s basketball program last season, improving the Gophers’ win total by 16 and marking a return to the NCAA Tournament.

The Big Ten Coach of the Year as voted by the conference head coaches and media, Pitino led the Gophers to program records and achievements that had not been reached in decades. Under Pitino’s guidance, Minnesota set a new program record with 23 regular season victories. That total was driven, in part, by a 12-1 finish in non-conference play and eight straight Big Ten wins, the team’s longest conference winning streak since 1973. Four individual Gophers were recognized this year in All-Big Ten: first team selection Nate Mason, Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Reggie Lynch, All-Big Ten third team honoree Jordan Murphy and All-Freshman Team member Amir Coffey.

"I am extremely pleased with the direction that our men's basketball program is headed under Coach Pitino,” said University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler. “Last season's success is just the beginning of a bright future for our team, and I have full faith that our student-athletes will continue to flourish under Coach Pitino's guidance."

Finishing 11-7 in conference play, the Gophers had their highest single-season Big Ten win total in the Big Ten since 1989-90. The Gophers placed fourth in the conference standings, their best finish in 12 years, and secured a coveted double-bye in the Big Ten Tournament for the first time in program history.

With 24 wins, the Gophers earned a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament, the program’s best in the past 35 years. Pitino will guide a roster next year that returns four starters and 12 contributors from what was among the nation’s youngest teams this past season, based on KenPom.com experience rankings.

One of the nation’s youngest head coaches and second-youngest at a Power 5 conference school, Pitino has posted a 75-61 overall record in his four seasons at the helm. He has presided over three winning seasons while at Minnesota, including a 25-13 team in 2013-14 that went on to win the National Invitation Tournament and set a school record for overall victories.

Go Gophers!!

Nadine will be on Fox 9 at 5pm discussing the impact of Pitino's extension.

Go Gophers!!

Does Coyle ever NOT mention that he "came back"? It annoys me.

Happy to see this. 1 year, extra money and likely a larger buyout

I'm guessing the raise is more important than the years.

Not just the raise and years but this signifies that Coyle is behind Pitino moving forward. Likely this was done to give both sides 2 more years to see where it goes before the next contract negotiations or not.

Hopefully this includes more money for recruiting use of plane, etc.,

Hopefully this includes more money for recruiting use of plane, etc.,

Also, it hopefully involves enough money to utilize the pre-paid gasoline option at the rental car counter.

Great news! Like I said many times he isn't going anywhere! He deserves the raise.

Pitino deserve's every dollar of it. Although it's not a huge achievement, he will go down as one of the best basketball coaches in the U's history.

Pitino deserve's every dollar of it. Although it's not a huge achievement, he will go down as one of the best basketball coaches in the U's history.

Pump the brakes. He might, but there is quite a ways to go before he is in that group. Winning a Big Ten title, at least getting us to a Sweet 16 would be a start. Not diminishing the NIT title and the great season last year but the U of M has done better when we are talking history.

We aren't there yet. However, this was a good move by both parties. Both of the major programs at the U are solidifying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, it hopefully involves enough money to utilize the pre-paid gasoline option at the rental car counter.

Kind of a disappointment it took until post #14 in this thread for this joke. Thank you for making it though cause I was afraid I was going to have to make it.

I am not a fan of extensions/raises after one good season, but this one doesn't seem to change the dynamic much. I would assume that if Pitino builds on last season, we will be reading about a more significant raise by this time next year.

I am not a fan of extensions/raises after one good season, but this one doesn't seem to change the dynamic much. I would assume that if Pitino builds on last season, we will be reading about a more significant raise by this time next year.

Agreed. My take is that this extension accomplished two things: 1) extended him a year which helps for 2018 recruits (he is there the whole time) and 2) likely cleans up the "small print" stuff in his contract about recruiting trips, expenses, etc to be more in line with the needs of a big time program. Have another solid year and I would guess they will redo the contract more significantly next spring.

I think the biggest thing is that it shows his new AD supports him and gave him s contract. No one wants to be there due to the previous regime. Now Coyle has some skin in the game with him.

Barreiro will have a field day with this later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing about this. On Tuesday, Barreiro and JG were talking about Saban getting his extension. One of them commented about how somewhere, Pitino is taking notes, just as a small joke. Pitino immediately tweeted back "@jgkfan Just trying to enjoy my lovely drive home! Keep me out of this" followed by a joking emoji. Barreiro actually has a lot of respect for Pitino. Pitino came on the show a lot last year, was very humble, honest, gave credit and praise to his players, and losing streaks were blamed on himself. Any jabs at Pitino now are just in fun, and arent to be taken seriously. Kind of nice to see him establish a good relationship with a coach while he is still coaching, instead of after.

Oturu chimes in:

per Marcus:

"It's good to see he'll be here through my time," said Oturu, who was checking out construction on the University of Minnesota's new Athletes Village facility Wednesday.

Oturu, a 6-foot-10 junior, committed to the Gophers in January before Pitino was named Big Ten coach of the year and the team reached the first NCAA tournament since 2013. Oturu plans to use the new practice facility to help convince other Minnesota players to join him at the U.

"Yeah, it's real nice," Oturu said. "It'll (be) brand new our freshman year, so the facilities should be the best."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-impression-on-commit-daniel-oturu/421246983/

Go Gophers!!

per the Post Bulletin:

FELDY: Norwood Teague may be gone, but apparently one-and-done postseason runs still warrant contract extensions at the U, Phersy. Richard Pitino did a nice job of turning around a disastrous 2015-16 season and getting the Gophers men's hoops team into the NCAA tournament in March. He was already under contract through 2021, though, when word broke Wednesday that he was being given yet another extension. Is that where we are? A NCAA tourney berth warrants an extension? Or are the Gophs headed in that much of a positive direction that Pitino had to be locked up long-term?

PHERSY: It's the Minnesota way, Feldy. But in this case, I'm fine with it. Recruiting is tough enough as it is, and sometimes a contract extension can ease a little of that pressure. Kids aren't going to sign on the dotted line with a coach they trust if they're unsure he'll be around in a few years. And, regardless of the early NCAA exit, the program took a massive step forward this season. Sure, it would have been OK to wait a year, but in this case, it's not the end of the world to lock Pitino into a longer deal. Now, let's hope there's another big step forward next season...

FELDY: Pitino's a likable guy who led an impressive 16-game turnaround last season. It'd be nice to see the Gophers improve again this season before dropping more money in his lap, but it's part of the game these days. He has, by all accounts, built an impressive recruiting class and last season's success carried an excitement with it that Gophers' hoops hasn't had in some time. There's every reason to expect this team to be in the Top 25 throughout next season, Phersy. But does giving Pitino another extension, 21 months after a previous extension, set a precedent that Mark Coyle will have to follow?

PHERSY: Coyle is an intelligent guy, and I believe he knows what he's doing ... despite what you'll read elsewhere. Coyle knows what he wants, and he's not afraid to go out and get it. And he knows what he doesn't want, and he's not afraid to get rid of dead weight. You're right, Feldy, it's part of the game, and I'll trust Coyle to make these decisions. Feldy, you mentioned the solid recruiting class coming in for next season. There are a few guys who can contribute immediately. But, boy, would it be a monumental step for Gophers basketball if Pitino could keep Matthew Hurt and Tre Jones in the Land of 10,000 Lakes in a couple years.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_a4818639-f811-550d-aba7-2f7809699d24.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom