Updated Projected Gavitt Games Pairings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Odds are very good Gophers will participate. Last year pairings were announced May 3.

Projection (listed from best potential game to worst)
1 Michigan State @ Villanova
2 Purdue @ Seton Hall
3 Minnesota @ Marquette
4 Butler @ Wisconsin
5 Creighton @ Northwestern
6 Indiana @ Saint John's
7 Georgetown @ Illinois
8 DePaul @ Nebraska

Non-Participants
Big East: Providence, Xavier (expected to be 2 of their best teams)

B1G: Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers (first 3 likely to be NCAA-quality teams)

Marquette @ Gophers?

That would be a nice home game, and likely would mean for 2nd straight year Gophers would host 2 Power 6 opponents.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That would be a nice home game, and likely would mean for 2nd straight year Gophers would host 2 Power 6 opponents.

Love this. Wish we found a way to play them every year.

Don't be surprised if pairings announced today or Wednesday

Guessing the MSU-Florida announcement was Gavitt Games related, meaning Sparty needed to drop a (tough) game from its schedule, especially with the 2 Big Ten games in early December.

My final projection:

2 Minnesota @ Xavier
3 Purdue @ Seton Hall
4 Butler @ Wisconsin
5 Indiana @ Marquette
6 Creighton @ Northwestern
7 DePaul @ Illinois
8 Georgetown @ Nebraska

Non-Participants
Big East: Providence, Saint John's

B1G: Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers (first 3 likely to be NCAA-quality teams)

Man they are really pulling the plow this year for announcing the games. Wasn't it early May last year and even earlier the years before?

Man they are really pulling the plow this year for announcing the games. Wasn't it early May last year and even earlier the years before?

Yes, first year I think it was sometime in April.

Maybe that MSU-Florida rescheduling for 2018-19 was the final hold-up? Have to believe MSU will be a part of it this year. Sparty the only team that hasn't participated the first two years.

Guessing the MSU-Florida announcement was Gavitt Games related, meaning Sparty needed to drop a (tough) game from its schedule, especially with the 2 Big Ten games in early December.

My final projection:

2 Minnesota @ Xavier
3 Purdue @ Seton Hall
4 Butler @ Wisconsin
5 Indiana @ Marquette
6 Creighton @ Northwestern
7 DePaul @ Illinois
8 Georgetown @ Nebraska

Non-Participants
Big East: Providence, Saint John's

Great road game. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I would love it if the Gophers somehow got paired up against Nova in Philly. I live about 2.5 hour from Philly and would seriously think about trying to get to that game in person. I think Xavier or Marquette is more likely, however.

I can't find a link to it, but I was listening to an interview with Chris Mack and he said Xavier is not playing in the Gavitt Games this year. Didn't make sense to me seeing as how they didn't play last year, but that is what he said in the interview. Can't find a link so take it FWIW.

Yep, I heard that. Can't always trust the coaches. Creighton said they werent going to be in last year and they ended up playing Wisconsin. I think Mack pulling a power play to get a good home game.

Top Bottom