Chip Scoggins: Gophers working on winning back trust from fans

Love to hear from those who say they won't renew because of the donation but then a minute later they say they want the program to compete with our rivals. If the cost is more than your willing to spend for the experience then it is simple, do not go. Others will take your place. Do not then criticize the program and complain that they cannot win. We all know most of the factors needed to win. Some cannot be bought but most are.

I dropped my tickets because of the donation increase. I'm back in this year because of Fleck, but in non-donation second deck bleacher seats. I refuse to pay a "donation". The schedule for me had nothing to do with not renewing. I had season tickets for 20 years.

Why is donation in quotation marks?

Love to hear from those who say they won't renew because of the donation but then a minute later they say they want the program to compete with our rivals. If the cost is more than your willing to spend for the experience then it is simple, do not go. Others will take your place. Do not then criticize the program and complain that they cannot win. We all know most of the factors needed to win. Some cannot be bought but most are.

Pretty well thought out. The problem so far is that others aren't taking their place.

Cost was a major factor in our season ticket group falling apart with half the group having young kids that started playing football on Saturdays. The secondary reasons were the tiers for the donations were not equitably distributed throughout the stadium. There are some sections of the stadium that have far poorer views of the game action, or being next to the game day atmosphere type things, convenience of concessions, bathrooms, the band and cheer squads and Goldy all of that type of stuff should have been factored in for the tiers.

There are sections that have the same donation level requirements that have much better seats the lower you go in the lower bowel the worse your view gets of the game action. The best seats closer to the 50 and the higher up in the lower deck between the 20 yard lines should have had a higher donation level, same with lower levels of upper deck seats with the best views. End zones in to the 10 should have still had a donation level but not equal to those donations levels for people sitting between the 20 and 40 yard line, and even between the 40 and 50 in the centers of both upper and lower deck should be higher levels because they have best view of game actions and sounds.
The pricing structure for the donations, should have factored in location of seats and view of the field better, not just straight chair backs in all sections means highest donation levels, at least the value should have been more distributed.

The other reason was disagreeing that the scholarship seating applied to supporting all of the other sports scholarships. If you are a football season ticket holder only, chances are you want your donation costs either going towards the football program or part of the donation going towards the athletes village. If the Donation areas were specifically targeted towards cost of construction and maintenance of the athletes village for me that would have made a difference in willingness to want to pay the donation. I still go to games but no longer have a season ticket group that was together since 1996.

The other reason was disagreeing that the scholarship seating applied to supporting all of the other sports scholarships. If you are a football season ticket holder only, chances are you want your donation costs either going towards the football program or part of the donation going towards the athletes village. If the Donation areas were specifically targeted towards cost of construction and maintenance of the athletes village for me that would have made a difference in willingness to want to pay the donation.
This seems like a silly thing to be upset about, were you upset previously that your ticket payments went into a general fund that was distributed to non-football sports? How about parking, concessions, etc? It's all to support the institution, not your favorite sport.

This seems like a silly thing to be upset about, were you upset previously that your ticket payments went into a general fund that was distributed to non-football sports? How about parking, concessions, etc? It's all to support the institution, not your favorite sport.

It's one of the primary reasons I dropped my tickets. I might have been able to stomach the process but when the "donation" was not for football I decided I had enough.

Love to hear from those who say they won't renew because of the donation but then a minute later they say they want the program to compete with our rivals. If the cost is more than your willing to spend for the experience then it is simple, do not go. <b>Others will take your place. </b>Do not then criticize the program and complain that they cannot win. We all know most of the factors needed to win. Some cannot be bought but most are.

GJ- the day the donations were announced I decided I would drop my season tix. I also said on here that I hope the Gophers fill my seat with someone willing to pay as that would help the program. Problem is they filled my seat with me after I bought tix for a fraction of the price on the secondary market. The problem is that others didn't take my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been getting into those games for about $10 per ticket for years, stubhub ftw.

And then with their convenience fee and outrageous delivery fee and taxes you only pay about $35-40 a piece! Damn Stubhub and their fees. Bought a $20 parking pass that ended up being over $60 because of them!

Tell people to stop saying "donation", and I'll stop correcting them. It's really not too complicated.

from dictionary

noun
an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.

It appears that some may feel that presenting means volunteering, but you knew that. it might be the words gift, grant, but you knew that too. Even contribution has dual meaning - it could be freely given, or it could be what I pay for the cause.

If it's required, is it a gift? Is it a grant, is it a contribution? or is it a fee?

Words do have meaning, but meanings are not universal, and as we've seen time and time again, there are differing opinions of what words mean. Math is universal. The meanings of words, even when correctly applied, is not.

So mark his posts with an "F" and move on.

from dictionary

noun
an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.

It appears that some may feel that presenting means volunteering, but you knew that. it might be the words gift, grant, but you knew that too. Even contribution has dual meaning - it could be freely given, or it could be what I pay for the cause.

If it's required, is it a gift? Is it a grant, is it a contribution? or is it a fee?

Words do have meaning, but meanings are not universal, and as we've seen time and time again, there are differing opinions of what words mean. Math is universal. The meanings of words, even when correctly applied, is not.

So mark his posts with an "F" and move on.

How is it required? I challenge you to find me a single person who was required to make a donation.

Tell people to stop saying "donation", and I'll stop correcting them. It's really not too complicated.

I see the problem as your deep seated need to constantly correct others, even when it is blatantly clear what is intended by the other persons comment. And yes, from other posters perspective, it is a problem you have, like it or not.

GJ- the day the donations were announced I decided I would drop my season tix. I also said on here that I hope the Gophers fill my seat with someone willing to pay as that would help the program. Problem is they filled my seat with me after I bought tix for a fraction of the price on the secondary market. The problem is that others didn't take my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the most annoying thing about being a season ticket holder. My choice is not, attend games or not. My choice is, attend games for thousands of dollars, or attend the same number of games for hundreds. It's a pretty steep ask from the U.

I see the problem as your deep seated need to constantly correct others, even when it is blatantly clear what is intended by the other persons comment. And yes, from other posters perspective, it is a problem you have, like it or not.

I'm not going to let anyone push false agendas. If you don't like it, stop posting and/or stop reading my posts. I'll be here.

It really is crazy that I renewed my season tickets, asked if I wanted to donate, and said no. Renewed my season tickets with no donation. I am not sure what is wrong, since so many on here say they are required.

I'm not going to let anyone push false agendas. If you don't like it, stop posting and/or stop reading my posts. I'll be here.

Arrogant - definition:

Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. Synonyms: haughty, conceited, self-important, egotistic, full of oneself, superior.

It really is crazy that I renewed my season tickets, asked if I wanted to donate, and said no. Renewed my season tickets with no donation. I am not sure what is wrong, since so many on here say they are required.

That is interesting. Online I could not complete the renewal without including the donation item. Got error message each time I tried. You renew via telephone?

That is interesting. Online I could not complete the renewal without including the donation item. Got error message each time I tried. You renew via telephone?

Perhaps he meant an additional donation?

Perhaps he meant an additional donation?

Could be, just wondering if calling allowed for that option. I do know a couple years ago they offered longer installment options to pay if you called in your renewal...online I think it was 3 installments, and when I called, they offered up to six I believe.

Could be, just wondering if calling allowed for that option. I do know a couple years ago they offered longer installment options to pay if you called in your renewal...online I think it was 3 installments, and when I called, they offered up to six I believe.

Yeah I didn't do it over the phone but on the internet there was a field for an additional donation outside of the seating donation.

Sorry, but I can't let the terrorists win. You just keep on being petty, little man.

to Dpo: you are correct. a donation (or "donation") is technically not required to be a season-ticket holder. but, as I understand it, the donation is required for the better seats and seating areas.

I would personally say that is not a donation as I define the word. If I want to sit in a better seating area - maybe an area where my family has sat for years, then the donation is required to keep those seats. As I use the word, a donation would be 100% optional. Here - it is more like a form of blackmail - "want good seats - give us a donation. No donation - go sit in the cheap seats."

Look, I understand that donations, or fees, or blackmail - whatever you want to call it - is SOP for most college FB programs. No different than the Vikes with their "personal seat licenses." I understand it - that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but Teague screwed the pooch by jacking up the donation as much as he did, and as quickly as he did. a more gradual, phased increase would have been a lot more palatable to fans.

Yeah I didn't do it over the phone but on the internet there was a field for an additional donation outside of the seating donation.

Yep. Wonder how many takers they get from that donation field...

Top Bottom