3 regents set to review Gophers football player suspensions: Twincities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Board of Regents chairman Dean Johnson and vice chairman David McMillan have appointed regents Tom Anderson, Peggy Lucas and Steve Sviggum to the review panel.

“Allegations of sexual assault are serious and the Board of Regents is committed to ensuring student safety across all University campuses, as well as an appropriate process for all parties involved,” Johnson said in a news release.

“We believe it is good governance to review recent circumstances and to determine how we can improve processes for the betterment of our students.”...

No one was charged criminally, but the university ultimately expelled the four original suspects, and a fifth was suspended for one year.

At the urging of regents Michael Hsu and Darrin Rosha, Johnson announced March 24 that he’d be appointing a special committee. With help from the general counsel’s office and possibly outside attorneys, they will review four issues:

-Discipline polices and practices and how they relate to the criminal justice process
-The standards of review and discipline processes for sexual misconduct
-What the U can and should say publicly about conduct code violations involving student-athletes
-Lessons learned from the boycott, including the involvement of regents, top administrators, coaches and people outside the U.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/0...football-player-suspensions-over-sex-assault/

I really have no idea what to expect from this.

I have a a lot of concerns but I've no idea where this will lead.

Considering the absurdities that have come out of these kinds of things I question if universities are capable / should be handling these things internally, at all.

If it has to go all the way up to the BOR's level, many people down the chain are not doing their job and/or did not have a clear process/procedure for handling matters like what had happened including the university president and the AD.

A more important component is what are everyone doing proactively to prevent the likelihood these type of fiasco from occurring in the first place.

Most of the cases that the come to the office are not in the public eye like football or basketball players are, so those cases are a lot easier to keep confidential.

The regents have to come up with a process for cases that all of the sudden get into the public eye.

I really have no idea what to expect from this.

I have a a lot of concerns but I've no idea where this will lead.

Considering the absurdities that have come out of these kinds of things I question if universities are capable / should be handling these things internally, at all.

It would be great if the special commission would actually comment on the appropriateness, ability of universities (or at least the U) to do what the DoE is requiring of them. I think the clear answer is "no".

It would be great if the special commission would actually comment on the appropriateness, ability of universities (or at least the U) to do what the DoE is requiring of them. I think the clear answer is "no".

I know of at least one school that straight up hired an outside law firm to do investigations. Probably expensive... but at least you'd have people familiar with procedure, the risks, etc.

I know of at least one school that straight up hired an outside law firm to do investigations. Probably expensive... but at least you'd have people familiar with procedure, the risks, etc.

Kim Hewitt has a law degree and was once a dean of a law school. Pretty sure she was familiar with procedure, the risks, etc. Now was she immune from political pressure, personal viewpoints, agendas, etc? No way of knowing. I do know GH sometimes is a world onto itself where things are viewed through maroon and gold glasses. I do it myself; damn everyone posting here does.

Have no idea about the timing of when lawsuits are filed and it might still happen. Pretty telling so far the U hasn't been sued for millions and Kaler and Coyle still have jobs. According to quite a few, that was bound to happen since things had been botched so badly. Still might and I still wonder about Kaler. That was in connection with hiring Mega-Tongue and the drug controversy in the psychiatry program though. Coyle's fate is tied to PJF. So far, one can argue, he took control of the asylum back from the inmates with getting rid of Robinson, Claeys, and not caving to the boycott. He also is making the right PR moves in regards to input from the fans. Whether that's for show or for real--again no idea.

I do hope this review by the regents leads to some positive steps and isn't for show. IMO, there is a need for what the the directive using Title IX does. Rights of the accused, or lack of, do need to be looked at though. Like Hungan1, I really hope proactive steps are taken with not just with administrators, athletes, and coaches, but the whole student body. Maybe the information is being given, but some people aren't listening regarding alcohol, consent, student code, etc.

Kim Hewitt has a law degree and was once a dean of a law school. Pretty sure she was familiar with procedure, the risks, etc. Now was she immune from political pressure, personal viewpoints, agendas, etc? No way of knowing. I do know GH sometimes is a world onto itself where things are viewed through maroon and gold glasses. I do it myself; damn everyone posting here does.

Have no idea about the timing of when lawsuits are filed and it might still happen. Pretty telling so far the U hasn't been sued for millions and Kaler and Coyle still have jobs. According to quite a few, that was bound to happen since things had been botched so badly. Still might and I still wonder about Kaler. That was in connection with hiring Mega-Tongue and the drug controversy in the psychiatry program though. Coyle's fate is tied to PJF. So far, one can argue, he took control of the asylum back from the inmates with getting rid of Robinson, Claeys, and not caving to the boycott. He also is making the right PR moves in regards to input from the fans. Whether that's for show or for real--again no idea.

I do hope this review by the regents leads to some positive steps and isn't for show. IMO, there is a need for what the the directive using Title IX does. Rights of the accused, or lack of, do need to be looked at though. Like Hungan1, I really hope proactive steps are taken with not just with administrators, athletes, and coaches, but the whole student body. Maybe the information is being given, but some people aren't listening regarding alcohol, consent, student code, etc.

Yeah I'm not sure how much Hewitt and folks with a legal background were involved.... or got their way. We've seen law school staff outright publicly oppose policies put in place at their own school at other schools.

Even just operational stuff like taking testimony via one person's notes seems like something someone with a legal background would just be shocked by.

When will they announce the dates a review will be conducted of the job Tom Anderson, Peggy Lucas and Steve Sviggum did to review this process, and who will that be?

Correction - assistant dean of students and multicultural affairs, which happened to be at a law school (Hamline).

Top Bottom