CBS: Harbaugh plans to take Michigan to Brazil or South Africa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Jim Harbaugh has no plans to slow the international travel plans for Michigan football, announcing a couple of hopeful destinations for 2017 on Saturday.

Standing outside Stadio Olimpico in Rome on the team's last day in Italy, Harbaugh told reporters that South Africa and Brazil are on the top of his list, mentioning a pair of South African cities as favorites for next year's trip.

"We'll get together as a team and decide, but I'd really like to go to Cape Town or Johannesburg," Harbaugh said, via MLive.com. "One of those two."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...brazil-or-south-africa-wants-teams-to-follow/

Go Gophers!!

Can't believe the NCAA hasn't stepped in an limited this with football, like they do with basketball.

What's a passport run these days? Surprised they can all afford one.

Ain't happening. The NCAA won't bark at Michigan. They pretty much do whatever they want to do. And when they have a jerk leading the parade, nothing will happen. Sad

per CBS:

Jim Harbaugh has no plans to slow the international travel plans for Michigan football, announcing a couple of hopeful destinations for 2017 on Saturday.

Standing outside Stadio Olimpico in Rome on the team's last day in Italy, Harbaugh told reporters that South Africa and Brazil are on the top of his list, mentioning a pair of South African cities as favorites for next year's trip.

"We'll get together as a team and decide, but I'd really like to go to Cape Town or Johannesburg," Harbaugh said, via MLive.com. "One of those two."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...brazil-or-south-africa-wants-teams-to-follow/

Go Gophers!!

Been to both Jo'burg and Cape Town. Both beautiful in their own way, with Cape Town probably being the most beautiful city in the world. Those kids would learn a ton in both cities.

Why is it sad? Change your thoughts, change your life. It's a great opportunity! Start with these 3 quotes:
1. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
2. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
3. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Why is it sad? Change your thoughts, change your life. It's a great opportunity! Start with these 3 quotes:
1. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
2. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
3. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Dang, nice set up. Really would be something to go to Italy one year, South Africa the next, etc!

Football should have the same restrictions as any other sport.

One international trip every four years.

If Harbaugh wants to take the team to Hawaii or Puerto Rico in the three interim years, he can.

Recruiting ploy. If you are a high school star trying to decide between Mich. and say the Gophers, would having a trip to Europe or Africa, etc.. make a difference in your selection. Probably, if all the other factors balance out. The clarion call to the NCAA is to balance the playing field. Allowing such trips, under the guise of spring football, is flouting the dollars behind the program. And once again, I say SAD.

Recruiting ploy. If you are a high school star trying to decide between Mich. and say the Gophers, would having a trip to Europe or Africa, etc.. make a difference in your selection. Probably, if all the other factors balance out. The clarion call to the NCAA is to balance the playing field. Allowing such trips, under the guise of spring football, is flouting the dollars behind the program. And once again, I say SAD.

So by your logic, the NCAA has to mandate that all schools build the same-sized stadiums with the same amenities, pay their coaching staffs the exact same salaries, have the same attendance at every game, have the same training facilities with the same amenities, etc., etc.

So by your logic, the NCAA has to mandate that all schools build the same-sized stadiums with the same amenities, pay their coaching staffs the exact same salaries, have the same attendance at every game, have the same training facilities with the same amenities, etc., etc.

dpodoll68, apparently unfamiliar with other sports leagues.

Would think the NCAA would try to keep this equivalent between the sports and not necessarily, between school to school. If bball teams can go overseas once every 4 years, why do football teams not have the same regulation?
In VB I saw that a few weeks ago the U had a "scrimmage game" against Hawaii at The Pav. If that is allowed, then why can't the U football team have their spring game against say Iowa State?

I see your point DPO, could also add to your equality list that that every team can only have three different uniform tops and bottoms and two different colored helmets, because it is a recruiting advantage that Oregon, Maryland wear a different uniform each week. :) Actually kind of serious about that one, as they should pass the uniform expense savings onto the fans and make the seats cheaper or provide for a better game day atmosphere, rather than buying another set of 100 or more helmets, pants, and jerseys.

Would think the NCAA would try to keep this equivalent between the sports and not necessarily, between school to school. If bball teams can go overseas once every 4 years, why do football teams not have the same regulation?
In VB I saw that a few weeks ago the U had a "scrimmage game" against Hawaii at The Pav. If that is allowed, then why can't the U football team have their spring game against say Hawai'i, at Aloha Stadium?

FIFY.

Next, he will figure out how to get them credits for the cultural and learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't know why this is sad at all. Or even SAD.

It's not against the rules at this time, they clearly have the means to do so, and it's a wonderfully creative idea (not to mention a culturally-enriching idea as well). Of course it's a recruiting ploy. To which I say...so what? Good for them.

Apparently some of you GH's have no problem with schools like Mich. using their dollars to gain a recruiting advantage under the guise of a cultural happening. Then don't complain when PJ loses a 4* or a 5* to schools like Mich. who push the envelope in the recruiting battle. PJ has to battle the fan apathy, the President, and now the absence of a cultural event. But then maybe his "culture" will make up for not traveling to some off country for spring practice. Sure hope so.

Apparently some of you GH's have no problem with schools like Mich. using their dollars to gain a recruiting advantage under the guise of a cultural happening. Then don't complain when PJ loses a 4* or a 5* to schools like Mich. who push the envelope in the recruiting battle. PJ has to battle the fan apathy, the President, and now the absence of a cultural event. But then maybe his "culture" will make up for not traveling to some off country for spring practice. Sure hope so.

Unfair things:

1. My neighbor's house is bigger than mine
2. I'm not taller
3. Some stadiums have more capacity than TCF
4. I didn't win the lottery last week
5. Michigan goes overseas

I can't control any of this. Why stress out about it?

Lol wut?

Unfair things:

1. My neighbor's house is bigger than mine
2. I'm not taller
3. Some stadiums have more capacity than TCF
4. I didn't win the lottery last week
5. Michigan goes overseas

I can't control any of this. Why stress out about it?

+1.

I would also like to add

6. My hair fell out. :)

Future headline - Michigan team plane forced to land in South America while on foreign trip. Team eaten by cannibals.

the chief cannibal was quoted as saying: "My, that head coach was tasty."

The GH's are missing the point. The NCAA has a rule book containing hundreds of pages of recruiting do's and don'ts. I am only suggesting that rule "number whatever".that member schools must conduct all practice sessions at the stadium of address(not including bowl-playoff games. According to Iowa newspaper, they-Iowa take their spring practice to high school stadiums through the state as a recruiting ploy. Watch out, they may come to the Minn. Becky will be next. Actually pretty simple. I really could careless about this supposed cultural happening. I have been to Rome, can't say I felt any tingling in my leg.

Future headline - Michigan team plane forced to land in South America while on foreign trip. Team eaten by cannibals.

the chief cannibal was quoted as saying: "My, that head coach was tasty."

I don't think they'd eat Harbaugh. He'd convince them to have a slumber party instead.

Harbaugh will eventually request Michigan alumni to fund a teambuilding mission to the moon.

Top Bottom