Best TCF Bank Stadium game atmosphere

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
It is hard to believe but TCF Bank Stadium is now on the home stretch toward reaching its ninth season of hosting Gopher Football. With the eight seasons we have seen, what were your most memorable games in terms of atmosphere?

For me, in no particular order:

- That 2009 Michigan State game over Halloween weekend. Great win in front of a Halloween crowd, night game.
- 2009 loss to Cal. The only loss on my list. First season, postcard weather. Basically a emphatic statement of how good outdoor college football could be as the stadium was packed and everyone was enjoying Eric Decker put on a show to match the highly ranked and big favorites from Cal.
- Night game against Syracuse. A lot of electricity in the air as it felt like something was building with the football program. Night game. Exciting game.
- All three wins over Iowa in TCF - all were special in their own ways. Either the huge upset angle or the unexpected blowout angle.
- The 2009 opener against Air Force. Will never forget it, or how great it felt to sit outside on campus to watch a Gopher game. Packed crowd, close game, night game, and everyone was into it. Sort of bitter sweet as hind sight has taught us there were some bitter moments ahead of this night that showed so much promise. Thanks Brewster.

I thought the atmosphere for the Michigan game in 2015 was great but the result was so deflating I could't keep it on my list like the Cal game. It is sad when the best thing you can say about it is "Well, it wasn't as painful as 2003."

My honorable mention list would include the win over Penn State in 2014, The kickoff return win against Purdue (although it felt that one should have been more easily won, and the big win over Nebraska.

It is interesting that 3 of the games I identified took place in TCF Bank Stadium's inaugural season. Here's to hoping for some more recent examples of electric atmosphere in the Bank.

The win over Nebraska with the kids on the field was great.

Night game against Syracuse which included that great goal line stand.

For me it is the Michigan game in 2015 but I did not attend any of those 2009 games in person.

I haven't been to them all (far from it), but my personal favorites:

September 12, 2009 vs Air Force: The opener. I had my own "Rudy" moment as I walked up the stairs to my section. Everything about that night was perfect - capped off by the loudest Rouser I've ever heard when Triplett ran back the fumble.

November 27, 2010 vs Iowa: The "Jeff Horton" game. A back-and-forth affair that ends with the Gophers completely unexpectedly beating Iowa. It was damn cold that day too, which made it even more special.

From pure atmosphere, the night games always have a little more juice. Here is my list:
1-TCU 2015. The best, biggest, loudest crowd that has ever been in TCF. We were hosting a top 3 team after going to the Citrus Bowl the year prior. The place was at 40k full an hour before the game, it was crazy!
2-Air Force 2009- The first ever game
3-Michigan St 2009- Halloween
4-Syracuse 2012 (Kill had momentum and was 3-0 entering a night game)
5-Wisconsin 2013 (We had won 4 straight big10 games leading into this one)
6- Purdue 2014 Great crowd on a beautiful day
7- Michigan 2015 Halloween after Kill retired
8- Iowa 2010 pig win
9- Iowa 2011 pig win
10-Iowa 2014 pig win

It is hard to believe but TCF Bank Stadium is now on the home stretch toward reaching its ninth season of hosting Gopher Football. With the eight seasons we have seen, what were your most memorable games in terms of atmosphere?

For me, in no particular order:

- That 2009 Michigan State game over Halloween weekend. Great win in front of a Halloween crowd, night game.
- 2009 loss to Cal. The only loss on my list. First season, postcard weather. Basically a emphatic statement of how good outdoor college football could be as the stadium was packed and everyone was enjoying Eric Decker put on a show to match the highly ranked and big favorites from Cal.
- Night game against Syracuse. A lot of electricity in the air as it felt like something was building with the football program. Night game. Exciting game.
- All three wins over Iowa in TCF - all were special in their own ways. Either the huge upset angle or the unexpected blowout angle.
- The 2009 opener against Air Force. Will never forget it, or how great it felt to sit outside on campus to watch a Gopher game. Packed crowd, close game, night game, and everyone was into it. Sort of bitter sweet as hind sight has taught us there were some bitter moments ahead of this night that showed so much promise. Thanks Brewster.

I thought the atmosphere for the Michigan game in 2015 was great but the result was so deflating I could't keep it on my list like the Cal game. It is sad when the best thing you can say about it is "Well, it wasn't as painful as 2003."

My honorable mention list would include the win over Penn State in 2014, The kickoff return win against Purdue (although it felt that one should have been more easily won, and the big win over Nebraska.

It is interesting that 3 of the games I identified took place in TCF Bank Stadium's inaugural season. Here's to hoping for some more recent examples of electric atmosphere in the Bank.

Close behind opening night vs Air Force is the TCU game 2 years ago. Night game vs #2 team in the country at that time. The stadium was full and buzzing before the band took the field which doesn't happen very often. Game was decent but the atmosphere was amazing.

Close behind opening night vs Air Force is the TCU game 2 years ago. Night game vs #2 team in the country at that time. The stadium was full and buzzing before the band took the field which doesn't happen very often. Game was decent but the atmosphere was amazing.

You are spot on. I can't believe I failed to miss that one in my list. Perhaps because it was a loss but the atmosphere was electric and people did arrive early. It was a very good game against what was seen as a top tier opponent (not unlike the Cal game in that way).

One thing I remember about the TCU game. The TCU fans were very friendly. We lost the game but I enjoyed the conversations I had with those fans. I'll always root for TCU over Baylor.

1. TCU game 2015, huge mostly pro Gopher crowd, that stadium was electric. Think without some of the turnovers like that fumble inside the five by the Gophers kind of turned that game in TCU's favor. Only bad thing about the game was the unreal humidity and heat took it's toll on the Gophers depth.

2. Syracuse game 2012, even if it took a ticket discount to do it, that was a packed stadium, night game and a Pro Gopher crowd. Probably as loud a Gopher game and entertaining game that I have been too. Very entertaining game.
3. Michigan game 2015, to bad Wolitarksy's knee had to touch down. That was definitely a game that got away from the Gophers.

Since this is TCF related. My favorite recent Gophers game has to be the Holiday bowl game appearance this last season. One because there was some question if the Gophers were going to play. Two because if there is such a thing as playing your hearts out, the Gophers played that game with about as much emotion and energy as they possibly could. That was a really great effort by the Gophers.

The Air Force and Michigan State wins in 2009 for very obvious reasons. That Michigan game in 2015 was both great and heartbreaking.

Jeff Horton's victory over Iowa in 2010 was solid but that 2014 51-14 hammering of Iowa was just damn delightful. They came in at 6-2 and the Hawkeye fans were pretty loud and cocky.

There weren't many left at the final gun.

The crowd seeme collectively confused at that Iowa pounding game .... We can do this sort of thing?

The Air Force and Michigan State wins in 2009 for very obvious reasons. That Michigan game in 2015 was both great and heartbreaking.

Jeff Horton's victory over Iowa in 2010 was solid but that 2014 51-14 hammering of Iowa was just damn delightful. They came in at 6-2 and the Hawkeye fans were pretty loud and cocky.

The crowd seeme collectively confused at that Iowa pounding game .... We can do this sort of thing?

I wasn't at the Halloween MSU game due to HS Section Football. I'd say Syracuse was the most electric game. Game one vs Air Force I expected being it was the first game. Michigan and TCU were great atmospheres but the way I felt leaving the Michigan game on Halloween made me sick.

For me it hasn't happened yet but it will when we beat Wisconsin.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great games and memories being posted!

The actual game didn't live up but 2010 game vs USC was fun...at first. Pregame environment was fun. Met Dan Patrick. It was just cool to see USC playing at TCF on a gorgeous day

Only been watching since 2010.

The opener against TCU and the Halloween Michigan game were the most exciting so far. The stadium and the crowd were absolutely nuts. Too bad we lost both of them. Especially the Michigan game - that night went from awesome to super crappy in a split second.

Granted, I only get to one game a year, so a small number to pick from. The 2010 win over Iowa: my first game at the Bank; great hope after such a disappointing season; and, mostly, watching my boys rush the field with everyone.

Flew in from Phoenix to see my first and only game at TCF against TCU. Great atmosphere but the humidity really sucked. Reminded me why I moved to Arizona.

Michigan St. Halloween game for me. I fondly remember the crisp October air, the jet black sky, the miraculous TD tipped pass (GHers please provide details on this). That game just sticks with me. Seeing all those kids in costumes was a riot.

Flew in from Phoenix to see my first and only game at TCF against TCU. Great atmosphere but the humidity really sucked. Reminded me why I moved to Arizona.

Yep....it was like a steam bath. For me, the Iowa games. Especially the pounding. After that, the MSU game on Halloween. Came dressed as Clint Eastwood, duster and all. . Even a fake cherot.

The two that stick out to me (that have been previously mentioned) that showcased how great TCF can be on the "big stage" were Wisconsin in 2013 (Gameday almost came to town for this one) and TCU. There have been plenty of other great games, but these two had a little something extra in terms of importance and engagement from the fans.

Just in terms of full-on atmosphere it's TCU for me. Warm evening, early arrival (we parked in the Washington Ramp)and while we ate supper in the Alumni Center park it seemed like thousands of fans were getting off the light rail and making their way past us on their way to the Bank. Everything felt Big Game.

And of course Michigan; even if I was cursing Claey's during the exit. The Pig games are in their own category; so maybe I'd list the Nebraska game high on the start to finish atmosphere chart.

Mine was when Jerry Kill dropped to the ground and the whole crowd went silent. It was a sad day wondering what happened to Jerry Kill. The game after his fall didn't mean much.

1 TCU - Warm night, student section rocking, Kill had the state fired up.
2 Michigan - Halloween night, student section rocking, Band giving it 110% to Michigan near the goal line.

3 Air Force ok but a distant third to the top two considering it was really Air Force and not a great opponent. Sam Maresh standing on the bench- no helmet.

Best TCF Bank Stadium game atmosphere:

Mine was when Jerry Kill dropped to the ground and the whole crowd went silent. It was a sad day wondering what happened to Jerry Kill. The game after his fall didn't mean much.

Ohhh; you're edgy. :rolleyes:

The Halloween games for me. Michigan State in '09 (the AW8 game) and Michigan in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan St. Halloween game for me. I fondly remember the crisp October air, the jet black sky, the miraculous TD tipped pass (GHers please provide details on this). That game just sticks with me. Seeing all those kids in costumes was a riot.

Dear Gopher Jack- Yes, it was truly "miraculous". Here is what happened. The Gophers were up 35-34 with 6:00 left. The Gophers had just forced MSU to settle for a point blank field goal with 8:00 to go and had lost the momentum. Weber threw a 20-yard pass over the middle. Nick Tow-Arnett, who had already caught 2 touchdown passes, took a tremendous lick from a Spartan db and was lying on his back without secure possession of the ball. From nowhere, Duane Bennett swooped in, caught the ricochet with perfect timing and finished a 59-yard scoring play without being touched. The Gophers still had to weather another kickoff return (Keyshawn Martin had already run back TWO kicks for scores) and had to defend several long passes from Kirk Cousins in the last couple of minutes. Weber finished with 416 passing yards, 4 td passes and 1 pick. The Gophers also tied a Big 10 record with 17 penalties!

Top Bottom