Coyle evaluates his first year as AD, talks about future of Gopher athletics, etc

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per a Q&A with the Daily:

It’s almost been a year since you were named AD, how would you grade your first year?

I would ask you to ask my staff how they would grade my first year. I can tell you what I love about being athletic director is you learn every day. You have an opportunity to impact people in a positive way. I can tell you I’m thankful to be here. I’m excited about the future … I’ve really enjoyed working with the staff and the students and coaches.

On the list of things you wanted to accomplish in your first year, do you think you’ve met most of those?

There’s two things. If you go back to when I was hired, one thing I really talked about was trying to establish some consistency. I’m the fourth athletic director since 2012. I think we’ve had eight senior executive ADs transition out of here in the past four or five years. I’m hopeful that I’m providing consistency for our staff here … The second thing I talked about was a lot of listening. … We talk about making data-driven decisions. Those are two areas that I think we need to continue to do. We need to continue to provide consistency … We need to continue to listen. I also think, I’ve made it very clear; we didn’t come here to be .500. We want to compete at the highest level ... We want to make sure we always compete, and compete at a high level.

Do you feel Gopher athletics is better now than when you first came here?

I don’t know if it’s fair for me to say it’s better or worse. What I do feel comfortable in saying is that I think people understand the direction of where we want to go. What I mean by that is, I’ve talked a lot about internally, we want to make sure we’re defined by our actions. We want to make sure we focus on honesty ... We want to focus on transparency, and sometimes we can’t be transparent with the different issues we might be dealing with but we want to be as transparent and as accessible as we can … The last thing we talk about is being innovative. What I mean by that is, how do we maximize our resources? By resources, I don’t necessarily mean our finances, I mean our people resources and how do we get the best out of me and everybody else we work with ...

Besides Athletes Village, what do you look at as the future of Gophers Athletics?

The big thing is, we have such a broad-based program that is very successful across the board. … I want all of our programs to compete at a high level. It can be done. I want to make sure we understand that and we expect that, but at the same time, I want to make sure we appreciate that. It’s very hard to do what our softball program is doing right now. It’s very hard to do what our baseball team is doing now. It’s very hard for our men’s basketball team to go from [8-23] to [24-10]. I want to make sure we take time to celebrate the successes. That takes a lot of hard work.

North Dakota recently had to cut a few of its programs. Do you envision that happening here?

We’ve not had any conversations. I think you always look at your sport offerings and you want to make sure you match what the state population is doing with high school sports and those types of things but we’ve had no conversations about that at all.

What do you want to improve on yourself, personally, in the future at the University?

I want to be visible, more visible to our student athletes and coaches and more visible to our staff and more visible to our fans. This year, we’ve been through a lot. I think it’s important for me to work closely with our students, our staff, our coaches, and to be more visible and tell the story of all the positive things that are going on. Again, it’s one step at a time and we’ll continue to take those steps, but we want to be consistent and intentional with the steps we take …

After the boycott, how do you feel your relationship is with the football players?

Obviously, when we hired coach [P.J.] Fleck, [we] brought him in here to work closely with that team. Again, I’m thankful for our football team. I’ve had a chance to go to many practices, had a chance to go to the spring game. As you know, that team has been through a lot and the students on that team have been through a lot. … I’m thankful for how hard they’ve worked, academically and athletically. I’m thankful for the commitment they’ve shown coach Fleck. I want to do everything I can to support them and all other 24 teams that we have here.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...s-historic-season-future-of-gophers-athletics

Go Gophers!!

I would grade him a D with room to grow. At times Coyle didn't show us leadership or any sort of clarity with the scandal he made it frusterating. IMO, he came across like chicken little.

I would grade him a incomplete. I doubt that he has the relationship that he wants yet with the football team. Just because he hangs out with them doesn't mean that he has the respect of the players. He has yet to open up about handling of the fiasco with the team. Until he polishes things up, admit to mistakes etc. He has work to do. Yet he can grow...but until he owns up to his mistakes he will never grow as a true Gopher.

I would grade him a incomplete. I doubt that he has the relationship that he wants yet with the football team. Just because he hangs out with them doesn't mean that he has the respect of the players. He has yet to open up about handling of the fiasco with the team. Until he polishes things up, admit to mistakes etc. He has work to do. Yet he can grow...but until he owns up to his mistakes he will never grow as a true Gopher.

~25% of the players who were even present for the boycott debacle are already gone. By next year it will be ~50%. He just has to sit back and wait a few years and he develop a relationship with the players untainted by that event and ALL of the leadership of the boycott (Mitch, Drew, seniors) are gone. His relationship starts with the coaching staff and I haven't seen any missteps there yet.

I would ask you to ask my staff how they would grade my first year.

Ask the people that report to me that I can hire and fire to evaluate me? Ok boss your doing great!

Ask the people that report to me that I can hire and fire to evaluate me? Ok boss your doing great!

IALTO

Just like when PJF was hired by MC and talked about how much he respects and admires MC and some started using that as proof of how respected Coyle is. PJ may love him, but saying so when hired and asked proves absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We’ve not had any conversations. I think you always look at your sport offerings and you want to make sure you match what the state population is doing with high school sports and those types of things but we’ve had no conversations about that at all."

So does that mean we drop men's gymnastics and add men's soccer (as the MSHL does not have boys gymnastics, but does have boys soccer)?

~25% of the players who were even present for the boycott debacle are already gone. By next year it will be ~50%. He just has to sit back and wait a few years and he develop a relationship with the players untainted by that event and ALL of the leadership of the boycott (Mitch, Drew, seniors) are gone. His relationship starts with the coaching staff and I haven't seen any missteps there yet.

Regarding your first point I don't know that the football team has had a "good" relationship with any of the athletic directors. It's not like they go out on double dates or anything. They barely interact. The AD shows up at a handful of practices and events. It's not like they are coaching them. Even if the team hated the AD - would it matter as long as they respected the coach? Seriously, do more than 20% of the players say more than "hi" to the AD?

Disagree with the passive approach- if he's not proactive with developing a relationship with all the players and instead letting attrition by graduation get rid of older players- the older players will not have a hard time convincing incoming frosh that MC is a dbag.

Regarding your first point I don't know that the football team has had a "good" relationship with any of the athletic directors. It's not like they go out on double dates or anything. They barely interact. The AD shows up at a handful of practices and events. It's not like they are coaching them. Even if the team hated the AD - would it matter as long as they respected the coach? Seriously, do more than 20% of the players say more than "hi" to the AD?

Agree

Disagree with the passive approach- if he's not proactive with developing a relationship with all the players and instead letting attrition by graduation get rid of older players- the older players will not have a hard time convincing incoming frosh that MC is a dbag.

No one came here to play for Teague and no one comes here to play for Coyle. Insofar as he needs a positive relationship with the football program and it would be nice to not have the players think he is a ******, I don't disagree, but that's like saying the team needs a good relationship with the faculty in general, true, but not relevant to what is going on. If he horn dogs the spotlight at every football event and tries to make it about him as an AD, then there will be issues, but I have seen no sign that this football coach shares the spotlight with anyone.

Aside from hiring JP I've got some less than positive feelings for Coyle.

Having said that, it doesn't matter what he says at this point, it matters what he does as situations pop up here or there for him to deal with.

We'll see how it goes.

Just based on him landing Fleck I give him an A+.

It's all about football and basketball. If PJ is successful and Richard continues improving the program, he will be thought of extremely well in this area.

There is something (for me) to be said about how things get done. While I think results obviously trump process, a poor process eliminate any sort of cushion there is if the results aren't ideal. Essentially, if PJ is successful, none of this will matter. If PJ isn't successful (or he doesn't eclipse Kill's level of success), I think Coyle will be judged harshly.

IMO, how he handled things did not set himself up for the future.

Let's see him be more out in the public with his vision for the future.

Maturi was a very public AD and approachable to everyone - the athletes, coaches, boosters, etc...

Coyle personality wise is not very out there in the public. He gives me an aura of a paper shuffling bureaucrat. He gives me a vibe as an unapproachable employer. IMHO, I think he needs to mend the fences and repair the damage to his perception. Building a trusting relationship is critical.

It is time that the University hire an image consultant to help Coyle. Why not in this era of social media?

He and Kaler both fumbled the football scandal and the firing of Claeys which left a bitter taste in my mouth. Throwing kids and coaches under the bus seem to do that. Claeys' situation should have been handled more with class.

However, sometimes timing is everything if you want to hire your guy. I give him credit for the hiring of PJF. The football program is such an important part of the athletics department and the university.

I think you hit on many important points. Unless he had a private meeting with the football players that he deemed guilty and were found innocent, you can guarantee those guys don't have one second of time for Mark Coyle. If I am Winfield Jr, I have a hard time ever respecting Coyle. his being said, I hated the way TC was fired, but PJ has certainly put Minnesota football back on the map, without even playing a game yet. I thin I will always have a love/hat opinion of Coyle.

Coyle must be a North Dakota grad because he's a snake in the grass. His interview is just slimy as he squirms around questions and avoids direct answers. Yep he's a sioux...a snake in the grass.

He is just not a Good communicator. Maybe he can be a successful "behind the scenes" type of AD, and let the coaches be the faces of U of M sports.

All things being equal, I would prefer an AD who is a little stronger in dealing with the media and the public, but maybe it's better to stay out of the limelight if you Don't handle the limelight very well.

He is just not a Good communicator. Maybe he can be a successful "behind the scenes" type of AD, and let the coaches be the faces of U of M sports.

All things being equal, I would prefer an AD who is a little stronger in dealing with the media and the public, but maybe it's better to stay out of the limelight if you Don't handle the limelight very well.

Just me, but I would think being a good communicator would be a baseline requirement for being an AD.

Just curious, how many names of Big Ten football and basketball coaches do you know. Now, how many names of Big Ten ADs do you know?

The coaches should absolutely be the faces of U of M sports. They are the ones who are personally invested into every day of their student athletes' lives.

Just curious, how many names of Big Ten football and basketball coaches do you know. Now, how many names of Big Ten ADs do you know?

The coaches should absolutely be the faces of U of M sports. They are the ones who are personally invested into every day of their student athletes' lives.

Well, yeah, everyone agrees that coaches are and should be more recognizable (especially outside of MN) but ADs are a face of the university. They are absolutely vital (steer us through coaching changes, turmoil and fundraising). The fact that more people recognize Richard Pitino than Mark Coyle is sort of a non-point.

Yes, but. The FB coach can be the face of the program for FB. the Men's BB can be the face of the program for Men's BB. But, there does need to be someone to speak for and represent the entire athletic department. if there's an issue in the WR program, or the cross-country program, Fleck is not going to be the point man. that is traditionally the role of the AD. Who is the most powerful person at WI? the FB coach or Barry Alvarez.

As I said, the AD does not necessarily have to be the alpha male of the athletic department, but he or she does need to be able to represent the athletic department as a whole and speak on behalf of the University. Everything I have seen and heard from Coyle makes me question his ability to serve as a front man or spokesperson for the athletic department. Again, he might be an able administrator who prefers to work behind the scenes, but sometimes, circumstances call for the AD to get out in front of a situation. As of right now, I would rank Coyle below Maturi in terms of being able to communicate.

"We’ve not had any conversations. I think you always look at your sport offerings and you want to make sure you match what the state population is doing with high school sports and those types of things but we’ve had no conversations about that at all."

So does that mean we drop men's gymnastics and add men's soccer (as the MSHL does not have boys gymnastics, but does have boys soccer)?

I'd like to see some sort of shuffling of the programs. Adding men's soccer or lacrosse.

This is hilarious, except for possibly the part about "being more visible" he did not answer any of the questions asked of him.

I am pretty sure he is a smart man with a massive ego, and he does everything in his power to cover that up.

Top Bottom