Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Fleck - 4/30/2017

DL65

Reaction score
Unlike last Sunday, the P.J. Fleck segment was live. It also was much shorter than last week with only six questions, which were related to the NFL’s Draft this weekend and the selection of WMU’s high draft choices, Gopher coaches recruiting, current recruiting numbers (commitments), and movement from linebackers to down linemen.

1) Sid opened the segment by asking about Western Michigan’s draftees this weekend and ud was he surprised with their selections:

‘Not surprised,” Fleck answered. The Broncos had three players selected in the seven rounds, including Corey Davis who went in the first round as the fifth player selected. Additionally, Taylor Moltin (sp?) went in the second round. A defensive end went in the seventh round and a couple players signed as free agents including their quarterback.

Fleck spent a few minutes talking about the team’s final two years and the turn-around of the program. He credited the players and coaches – development and doing right thing (culture). Specifically he said Corey Davis was lightly recruited as a two-star recruit. Davis, according to Fleck, arrived at WMU with a difficult background (financial), “never got in trouble (at WMU) . . . became our culture . . . and now he’s signed a 28 million dollar contract.”

Fleck saidTalylor Moltin was similar to Davis. Moltin was not rated highly by recruiting services. However, he was persistent and worked hard, “He got better and better.”

2) Sid asked about recruiting at WMU:

“Recruiting is the number one thing . . . Everybody gets excited about stars,” Fleck replied. Recruiting and development of culture are important, “have to have both,” if you want to have a successful team - finding recruits that are the right fit for the team.

3) Sid asked what the coaches are able to do recruiting-wise at this time:

Fleck said the coaches can’t have contact with potential recruits at this time. So (coaches) they’re on the road evaluating the players – talking to coaches and looking at transcripts.

Fleck sounded excited with recruiting, thus far. They now have thirteen commitments. Once again, he stressed the importance of finding players that are the “right fit” for the culture change at Minnesota.

4) Sid asked if he’s surprised with the team rating at 14 in Division I (FBS):

“Not surprised,” Fleck exclaimed. He said the Twin Cities have many assets that compliment recruiting – “So much to offer in the Twin Cities (population, Fortune 500 companies, etc.)". He added the nation is starting to take notice of the 2018 recruiting class at Minnesota and the university. The 2018 class will be Fleck’s first full class. He emphasized the importance of the “Process” and getting better.

5) Dave Mona queried Fleck about missing players due to injuries being back in the fall:

“It seems everyone will be back,” Fleck said.

Coach Fleck talked about the challenge during spring ball, “Challenge installing the system with missing bodies.” Nevertheless, he sounded upbeat with the progress made: “We’re getting closer.”

6) Mike Max inquired about players possibly moving from linebacker to down linemen. He cited the shift of Carter Coughlin:

Fleck mentioned Coughlin making the move and said there may be few more. He said they’ll run a 4-3 s and (“at times”) 3-4 schemes. He also spoke briefly about the talented abilities of Antoine Winfield and playing (positions) in the different schemes.

Go Gophers!

Thanks again from the beautiful White Mountains, DL.

I very happy the way recruiting is going for many, many reasons. but I do think Fleck is being a little disingenuous by not recognizing a significant factor for Minnesota's high ranking, i.e. the large number of recruits that have already given a verbal to Minnesota.

It is similar to the logic he tried to use when he claim that he had given up money to come to Minnesota. The good news is that when he taught sixth grade he wasn't teaching math.

In regards to finding the right recruits both Ray Buford and Dior Johnson were offered by Fleck. I'll leave it at that as those young men were never found guilty of a crime but were associated with some behaviors some here feel are not good culture. I wouldn't expect a Nostradamus.

Didn't Fleck often offer recruits we were after? I don't recall if those offers tended to be before or after ours so this could be totally off-base but gven the reported dislike between Fleck and some of Kill's staff and all the back-handed compliments since the changeover I wonder if there wasn't some level of competition there.

I very happy the way recruiting is going for many, many reasons. but I do think Fleck is being a little disingenuous by not recognizing a significant factor for Minnesota's high ranking, i.e. the large number of recruits that have already given a verbal to Minnesota.

It is similar to the logic he tried to use when he claim that he had given up money to come to Minnesota. The good news is that when he taught sixth grade he wasn't teaching math.

Agreed the head coach should correct Sid Hartman and say that the recruiting class is actually much worse than what it appears to be. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the report! Please with all of it as to the progress!

I wasn't aware of any TC verbals that are still viable. Correct me if I am wrong(and I am sure someone will). As such in my eyes, TC had absolutely nothing to do with the 14th. rated class - except win 9 games last year. But then that's water over the dam.

I wonder if "everyone will be back" includes Coney Durr. That'd be a surprise, but a welcome one

I haven't heard Fleck discuss the rush end (Coughlin and Devers) much in specifics. Is this a tactic we are using our of necessity (we have more quality LBers than DEs) or is it something to expect going forward? It sounds like Guthrie was recruited to play a similar role (he isn't very big either).

I'm not one of those people that is sold on a specific scheme, I think a lot of different schemes could be effective, I'm just curious if this is going to be a standard part of our defense or if it's more of a situation where we don't currently have Big 10-sized DEs who can provide any pass rush?

I wonder if "everyone will be back" includes Coney Durr. That'd be a surprise, but a welcome one

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about it. I sure hope he's healthy enough to come back but I wouldn't mind just RSing the kid.

I would say that, while this class is largely do to PJ and his staffs efforts, you need to give a nod to the previous staff for opening some doors down in Georgia. We currently have four commits from the state of Georgia so it appears that those relationships have been sustained and nurtured.

I would say that, while this class is largely do to PJ and his staffs efforts, you need to give a nod to the previous staff for opening some doors down in Georgia. We currently have four commits from the state of Georgia so it appears that those relationships have been sustained and nurtured.

We hired a coach from Arkansas and one who coached at Mississippi State. I'm guessing they had their own connections in that part of the country.

We hired a coach from Arkansas and one who coached at Mississippi State. I'm guessing they had their own connections in that part of the country.

Man, you just can't throw the previous staff a single bone. I'm sure PJF and his staff have the greatest GA connections of all time. Happy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you DL65! I Appreciate your reports!

Really??? Getting a little picky aren't you? PJ doesn't do the class ranking, but you can be sure he will use the current rank as a positive recruiting tool. So, did you tell your Mom that the B you got in class should really be a D because all the smart kids were in another class?

Man, you just can't throw the previous staff a single bone. I'm sure PJF and his staff have the greatest GA connections of all time. Happy?

Maybe, if people will stop giving them credit for everything that has happen after they left.

Maybe, if people will stop giving them credit for everything that has happen after they left.

Like yesterday when Sparlimb gave credit to the old staff for being able to develop lightly-recruited guys and Josh instantly took it as a shot at PJF and threw out the CD name? There is a pattern you are missing.

Like yesterday when Sparlimb gave credit to the old staff for being able to develop lightly-recruited guys and Josh instantly took it as a shot at PJF and threw out the CD name? There is a pattern you are missing.

The only pattern here is you defending everything the old staff did while simultaneously discrediting everything the new staff does. Really sad that you don't realize it. :(

The only pattern here is you defending everything the old staff did while simultaneously discrediting everything the new staff does. Really sad that you don't realize it. :(

And where did I do that JB? Did you even read this thread before spewing more lies. Have I told you lately how valuable you are to GH. Just a gem.

And where did I do that JB? Did you even read this thread before spewing more lies. Have I told you lately how valuable you are to GH. Just a gem.

Yesterday when you said this class was the same as every other year. So negative but it's typical for a Claeyster. :(

I wasn't aware of any TC verbals that are still viable. Correct me if I am wrong(and I am sure someone will). As such in my eyes, TC had absolutely nothing to do with the 14th. rated class - except win 9 games last year. But then that's water over the dam.

I have no idea what, why and where you got this from. Please elaborate as to what you are trying to say. Or is it based on some of the comments being made here as to Claeys vs. Fleck?

Yesterday when you said this class was the same as every other year. So negative but it's typical for a Claeyster. :(

So my snark comment that this year's 3-stars are better than last year's 3-stars is praising Claeys and discrediting Fleck. An absolute gem you are.

I haven't heard Fleck discuss the rush end (Coughlin and Devers) much in specifics. Is this a tactic we are using our of necessity (we have more quality LBers than DEs) or is it something to expect going forward? It sounds like Guthrie was recruited to play a similar role (he isn't very big either).

I'm not one of those people that is sold on a specific scheme, I think a lot of different schemes could be effective, I'm just curious if this is going to be a standard part of our defense or if it's more of a situation where we don't currently have Big 10-sized DEs who can provide any pass rush?

Near the end of his segment with Sid, Fleck was talking about having to do things differently on defense to make up for lack of depth in certain areas. As I heard it, it sounded like this was a short-term fix and they hoped to improve the depth through recruiting over the next two years.

So, as I understand it, Fleck is saying that they may have to move some players around and try some different schemes for depth reasons - but it would not be their preferred choice going forward. He also talked about players like Winfield being able to play several positions, and that would give them some flexibility.

So my snark comment that this year's 3-stars are better than last year's 3-stars is praising Claeys and discrediting Fleck. An absolute gem you are.

Yes, I'm glad you can see it from other point of view. Like I said I just wish you could support the program as much as you did when it was under your favorite coach. It would make for a lot better of an environment when viewing Gopherhole and a lot less hostility.

We are the only team in the top 20 with no recruits above 3. In fact you have to go to 23 to find WI with only 3s. I love being #10 but wonder if we will land a couple of 4s or 5s. On the other hand maybe better camaraderie with all 3s (& maybe some will bump up after senior season). Not complaining just curious about what everyone else thinks (or has heard).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I took it as a shot because it was a shot. Saying "whether current staff can do that is still to be seen" is certainly not a compliment.

We are the only team in the top 20 with no recruits above 3. In fact you have to go to 23 to find WI with only 3s. I love being #10 but wonder if we will land a couple of 4s or 5s. On the other hand maybe better camaraderie with all 3s (& maybe some will bump up after senior season). Not complaining just curious about what everyone else thinks (or has heard).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

We might not stay at 10 all the way up until signing day, but I hate reading about how all these other programs are going to fill the rest of their classes with 4- and 5-star players to increase their rankings but give no chance for Minnesota to add even a single 4-star player to its class. Everyone says we'll cap out around 50 because that's where teams who only sign 3-stars end up.

Last I checked, roughly half of Minnesota's signing class is still unknown. Why the doom and gloom assuming Minnesota can't get a good recruit on campus to sign here?

ESPN says we have two four stars. Do they count, or should we put an * by them?

I took it as a shot because it was a shot. Saying "whether current staff can do that is still to be seen" is certainly not a compliment.

Maybe you should go back and read the entire first paragraph of Spar's post then tell me he was taking shot's at PJF.

Top Bottom