Position Changes?

mkAz

Reaction score
With the conclusion of spring practice, and the coaching staff getting their first look at the players, it was only a matter of time until this topic came up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I believe that Coughlin has already been moved to more of a hybrid rush DE position. The only other name that immediately comes to mind to me is Jaylen Waters. I believe that Ayinde was moved to CB too (although from DB, not LB). Anyone else hearing anything about position changes?

Isn't that the definition of a 3-4 or 2-4-5 multiple 1 gap scheme? Get the best combination of size and speed on the field and make it work ala Wisky. Do we have any LBs that can buff to 240-250ish?

With the conclusion of spring practice, and the coaching staff getting their first look at the players, it was only a matter of time until this topic came up.

I believe that Coughlin has already been moved to more of a hybrid rush DE position. The only other name that immediately comes to mind to me is Jaylen Waters. I believe that Ayinde was moved to CB too (although from DB, not LB). Anyone else hearing anything about position changes?

This was very evident in the Spring "game".

LBs that have the size to move to DE, Thomas Barber 6'1" 240, Everett Williams 6'1" 235 and Jaylen Waters 6'3" 255..

IIRC Coughlin and Martin have the frames to put on good weight and keep their speed? Seem like ideal 3-4 or 2-4 guys (LB). Combine that with speedy guys like Huff and Cashman and we could have an incredibly disruptive stunting and blitzing front in the Wisconsin theme (sorry).

Isn't that the definition of a 3-4 or 2-4-5 multiple 1 gap scheme? Get the best combination of size and speed on the field and make it work ala Wisky. Do we have any LBs that can buff to 240-250ish?
I think Coughlin can get to 240, I doubt 250, but not by September. He is a fairly lean guy for a LB.
So could Martin, in fact of all the LBs I think Marten has the best chance to get to 250, but I doubt that is by September either. But I thought during the spring, the coaches said they still saw Marten as an true OLB.
Waters could also probably get there, in fact I thought he was 240, but I think he is 6'1" vs the 6'3" for Coughlin and Marten (or the 6'3" he was listed at last season). I don't believe Barber or Williams have the height to get there.
Actually a guy who might be really productive at DE is Beebe. I think he is actually about 6'1 to 6'2" rather than 6'3", but he can run, he is tough, he'll hit people and he is listed at 270 which is a lot bigger than anyone playing LB.

I don't think they've updated weights since last summer so Coughlin and others could be getting there over the next 1-2 years. Wisconsin seems to churn out guys that fit that profile, no reason we can't going forward. I'm obviously no Woisky fan but it's nothing short of miraculous what they've done on defense with a bunch of guys coming out of HS.

Has the coaches said they are moving Jaylen Waters to D-Line?

I don't think they've updated weights since last summer so Coughlin and others could be getting there over the next 1-2 years. Wisconsin seems to churn out guys that fit that profile, no reason we can't going forward. I'm obviously no Woisky fan but it's nothing short of miraculous what they've done on defense with a bunch of guys coming out of HS.

Wisconsin has figured out that a 3-4 is the way to go.

I'd like to switch some of the posters on this board to other teams. Off topic?

Has the coaches said they are moving Jaylen Waters to D-Line?
Not that I'm aware of, that was just me reading the tea leaves. He's got the size for it, and I'm guessing there might be more playing time for him there.

Bebe and Keift are the only guys on the offensive side of the ball that have requisite size and speed to play defensive line. There isn't anybody else that has the necessary quickness and size to move that would hold up at the point of attack. You have to be able to beat a block, those are the only two I could see that could make the switch successfully.

Top Bottom